: Chrome Stock Front Grill

eric96816
05-23-10, 05:11 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a chrome stock front XLR grill besides XLR Gift Boutique? I believe the chrome grill came standard on the Platinum series model. If I had the part number, I could probably order it from GMPartsDirect.

alarmu
05-26-10, 10:46 PM
I went to have mine chromed and no one would touch it, because it is painted and they were not sure what type of plastic.

eric96816
06-04-10, 05:06 AM
I Googled "chrome plating plastic" and found a company that will be chrome plating my grill. They are very friendly and helpful. The company is located on the East Coast. It will only take 2 weeks. I will let everyone know how it comes out.

eric96816
07-24-10, 06:35 PM
After three (3) weeks, I got my grill back nicely chromed. The chrome grill is a nice match to my chrome OEM wheels. The company did an excellent job. The grill now weighs at least twice as much - a lot of metal is covering the plastic grill. The name of the company is Paul's Chrome which uses a triple plate process that results in the most corrosion resistant and durable chrome. The people there are great to deal with. I took off the grill myself and stripped it myself. It was an interesting process. To put back the grill, I had to use epoxy to re-secure the painted strip of plastic along the bottom of the grill since the tabs broke off when I was pulling it apart. I used about 3 each two-part epoxy kits whch have their own static mixing tubes (you can get these at the hardware store for about $4 each) so you can't go wrong and mix a disproportional amount of components. The chrome work cost $535 which including shipping the grill from Paul's. Shipping the grill from Hawaii to Paul's was about $60 as I recall. Here is Paul's Chrome contact info:

http://www.paulschrome.com/

Paul's Chrome Plating, Inc.
90 Pattison Street
Evans City, PA 16033

800)245-8679
(724)538-3367
Fax (724)538-3403

Finally, thank you Paul's Chrome for being professional, communicative, and doing excellent work! The chrome grill makes my XLR really stand out!

ccclarke
07-24-10, 09:15 PM
This thread needs pics.

CCC