: Please help very frustrated w cts_v

tone-tone
05-23-10, 12:46 AM
Here is the story I have a 2005 v and before the warranty was up the dealer replaced the bushings, rear end, trans-mount because of whine and clunk when shifting. They did not replace the bad motor mounts(a-holes) The engine vibrated so I ordered the special motor mounts, and trans mount from the caddy dealer that is on this forum (sorry forgot his name). My dealer installed the mounts and now I have a major clunk when shifting, and a vibrating sound along when terrible noise(almost sounds like exaust tone) in the car. Took it back to dealer and they read the Caddy bulletin that says clunk noise is NORMAL and not to fix. WTF--normal the car sounds and drives like a piece of crap--hell my wife doesn't even want to drive it any more. Any advice--the motor mounts did take away the vibrating engine--but seems to make the rest of the car sound like crap--please help because my dealer won't touch it.

heavymetals
05-23-10, 01:34 AM
You should figure out if you have a driveline problem or an exhaust problem first.

Get it up to speed (about 65) and stick it in neutral and coast.

Gas it a few times and listen for rattles.

Clunk is normal when you work the clutch (which is not to say that yours couldn't be screwed up).

Also, anytime you go from the spongy stuff that Cad used you are gonna transfer vibration.

The stock mounts (being the POS they are) do their job (until they blow up) which is to limit vibration transfer.

tone-tone
05-23-10, 01:47 AM
When the dealer replaced the rear diff bushing it helps things out a lot--is that and easy job and is it easy to see if it is bad. With the crappy mounts it ran and sounded great--they changed the mounts and all hell broke lose--can't believe it was the mounts that made everything else bad?? It also seems that there is a vibration-drive shaft? Could they have but it back in wrong?

heavymetals
05-23-10, 02:17 AM
You don't need to remove the driveshaft to do the mounts.

You do have to un hook the exhaust and I would bet that is where all your complaints are coming from.

Baltimore07V
05-23-10, 04:59 AM
Here is the story I have a 2005 v and before the warranty was up the dealer replaced the bushings, rear end, trans-mount because of whine and clunk when shifting. They did not replace the bad motor mounts(a-holes) The engine vibrated so I ordered the special motor mounts, and trans mount from the caddy dealer that is on this forum (sorry forgot his name). My dealer installed the mounts and now I have a major clunk when shifting, and a vibrating sound along when terrible noise(almost sounds like exaust tone) in the car. Took it back to dealer and they read the Caddy bulletin that says clunk noise is NORMAL and not to fix. WTF--normal the car sounds and drives like a piece of crap--hell my wife doesn't even want to drive it any more. Any advice--the motor mounts did take away the vibrating engine--but seems to make the rest of the car sound like crap--please help because my dealer won't touch it.

If you got the UUC mounts, I can tell you from personal experience that it will transfer quite a bit more noise into the cabin, however the clunk went away. I should also say that I had an LS7 kite installed at the same time. That dual mass turd is attrocious and made horrid clunking when it was in. Could make the whole car shake on a 1-2 shift. Hard mounts like UUC will keep the drive line in place, reduce disealing on shut off or idle, however they will cause additional noise to enter the cabin. When I first got the UUC mounts there was a lot more noise in the cabin, however after about 1k miles it was a lot less. Some of that had to do with the break in of the clutch though.

Short answer, that clunk is caused by the stock clutch, which is complete POS (bad design). The vibration is caused by the UUC mounts being a hard compound which transmits into the cabin. They are 1 step from solid/race mounts. However, if you go to put in more power into your car, they are a good thing to have.

maxspeed96ct
05-23-10, 08:37 AM
You need to leave the trans mount OEM If you dont want vibrations.

As far as clunk , looks like you already replaced the common thing that cause it, next step would be to look into getting rid of the dual mass flywheel. Which can cause clunk.

Also check your diff bushing, creative steel sells a nice one.