: Dual Mass Rattle

AG'S-V
05-22-10, 11:24 PM
52k and I'm on my original clutch, holds and functions very well.

However...it rattles like a beeatch if I don't change gears perfectly and upon shutdown. I've got the newest rear end and my driveshaft is taught...this something I should drill the dealer with to get a new flywheel under warranty or just let it wear out and get something better? :suspect: (I'm thinking LS7)

You guys just deal with it? Should I be worried about it coming apart?

heavymetals
05-22-10, 11:33 PM
Could be the dual mass.

soulja
05-23-10, 09:47 AM
It's the flywheel. When I took my flywheel out I could partially rotate it and make it rattle. It's how it is designed. I hated pulling up in a parking spot and someone walking by wondering what that loud noise was coming from my car. I always got a bad rattle when disengaging the clutch. I have the Ls7 now and the rattle is gone. I did however notice that the stock pressure plate and ls7 pressure plate were the exact same part.

AG'S-V
05-23-10, 01:18 PM
10-4...thanks, my mounts are all recent too...so rules them out.

Just one of those things that bugs the hell out of you...

vegasVowner
05-23-10, 05:41 PM
I get a bad rattle on shut down if I'm in nuetral with my foot off the clutch. But if the clutch pedal is depressed it doesnt rattle. Is that also the dual mass?

AG'S-V
05-24-10, 10:58 AM
Negative, that's just the gears in the transmission...anything with a manual transmission will do that upon shutdown.

Mine does it with the clutch engaged...