: anybody wish . . .

lilgCTS-V
05-22-10, 03:36 PM
i was just wondering if anybody wishes that our cts-v's came with the 4.4l northstar supercharged instead of ls series motors? the modding platform would have been so much easier from what i see with the sts-v's

SkullV
05-22-10, 04:31 PM
its the automatic trans that holds their diffs together not the motor. There are MUCH fewer mods for the northstar.

heavymetals
05-22-10, 04:38 PM
Push rod = hot rod

Houdini
05-22-10, 04:49 PM
Although I like the northstar engines (I have a baby northstar in my 99 aurora), I'm so glad the cts-v has the ls motor. Before I got the V I looked in to modding my aurora but there just wasn't much you could do with a northstar and back then nobody could even program the pcm.

gsx-lex
05-22-10, 05:03 PM
I bought my V BECAUSE it had an LS.

deedubb
05-22-10, 05:40 PM
i was just wondering if anybody wishes that our cts-v's came with the 4.4l northstar supercharged instead of ls series motors?
Why No, Not at all.

Baltimore07V
05-22-10, 06:10 PM
Nope.

CTSV_Rob
05-22-10, 06:13 PM
Push rod = hot rod

Why No, Not at all.

Nope.

That is exactly how I feel. :D

calidave
05-22-10, 06:20 PM
Add another vote for "nope".

VforMe
05-22-10, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkj804LCl0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkj804LCl0

Renzos23
05-22-10, 07:53 PM

^^THIS

and i :heart:the fact it's a 6 speed manual caddy.

repenttokyo
05-22-10, 08:48 PM
yeah, ls plus six speed is why i bought the car. northstar is too exotic with too small of an aftermarket.

lilgCTS-V
05-22-10, 09:18 PM
dont get me wrong i love sayin i got an LS2 but isnt the sts-v motor pretty tune-able ?

jrosevear
05-22-10, 09:32 PM
I love the LS2. I love the power curve and that I can tune and mod it so easily and that parts availability will never be a problem.

But the dealer who sold me my car had a sweet low-miles raven 06 STS-V parked right next to it, and I've gotta say... if that car had a manual trans, I would have been sorely tempted to buy it instead.

maxspeed96ct
05-22-10, 10:41 PM
if the V didnt have a LS motor I wouldnt buy it.

If they only made autos I wouldnt have any intrest in the car at all

lilgCTS-V
05-22-10, 11:51 PM
im not even talking about have a automatic, if i was gunna get an automatic i would have gotten either an rs6 or e55 amg, im just saying that the motor might be really tune-able cause D3 claims some serious numbers with just tuning and minor modifications.

2manycars
05-22-10, 11:54 PM

+1

Have had my share of overhead cam motors (still have some)... not that I don't like them... but how cool that the LS revs to 6500, and pulls strong the whole way.

Have to also agree, if the V didn't have the 6 speed, would not have bought it. Was seriously thinking about an E55 when looking, but it came down to I just couldn't give up on a manual, and the auto is the only choice in that car. In looking back, thank god as that got me looking at the V (along with the M5), and the V is actually more fun to drive, and better to look at!

Driven2slow
05-23-10, 01:01 AM

This ^^ x10

bjv
05-23-10, 02:26 AM
I guess there is no option if you want the northstar and manual trans. Otherwise if you want a northstar just buy the STS. Buy the CTS-V BECAUSE it has the LS engines.

heavymetals
05-23-10, 02:43 AM
Just buy a CTS.

jrosevear
05-23-10, 08:13 AM
I dunno, I've always had a soft spot for N*s, maybe because I had one of the old ZR-1s and the LT5 was sort of the N*'s ancestor in a way. It's a good engine. But I can't see ever buying a performance car with an automatic, not unless I were to wreck my knee or something.

rand49er
05-23-10, 08:44 AM
I must be in the minority here. The Northstar, with the additional valves, breathes so well, and I like the idea of overhead cams (lower valvetrain weight). A very efficient motor. The cam-in-block design is older than I am. :rolleyes: I like the idea of having higher technology under the hood ... makes my nose stick up higher.

BUT, I must say these LS motors are absolutely bulletproof. As they've been beat on and broken and been redesigned in the past, GM made these darn things so they just don't break anymore ... something else does, instead. The pushrod design gives them a lower height, the old-school design makes them FAR easier to work on, and there are mods galore.

AND, did anyone say TORQUE? :highfive:

maxspeed96ct
05-23-10, 10:03 AM
im just saying that the motor might be really tune-able cause D3 claims some serious numbers with just tuning and minor modifications.

what are the serious numbers with tunning and minor modifications?

lilgCTS-V
05-23-10, 03:12 PM
http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-STS-and-STSV.php
they claim pretty good gains with minor upgrades not to mention it comes with 469HP @ 6400 RPM
439TQ @ 3900 RPM from the factory, im still not making that kind of power probably after spending 2k for a cam i will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYNmS29re0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgLVJAURBjg

maxspeed96ct
05-23-10, 04:32 PM
http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-STS-and-STSV.php
they claim pretty good gains with minor upgrades not to mention it comes with 469HP @ 6400 RPM
439TQ @ 3900 RPM from the factory, im still not making that kind of power probably after spending 2k for a cam i will.

The dynapack they use is realy only good for internet bragging. The numbers on them are always inflated. 400 on a dynapack is like 370 on a dynojet.

And you can't just look at peak HP numbers. A heads and cam LS6 would make almost the same power or maybe less, but the power curve would be alot better .

liqidvenom
05-23-10, 04:33 PM
i wish my car came with a 8k reving ls7.

CTSV_Rob
05-23-10, 06:25 PM
...the motor might be really tune-able cause D3 claims some serious numbers with just tuning and minor modifications.

I'm guessing you haven't checked into D3 to closely yet.

Just buy a CTS.

:rofl:

I must be in the minority here. The Northstar, with the additional valves, breathes so well, and I like the idea of overhead cams (lower valvetrain weight). A very efficient motor. The cam-in-block design is older than I am. :rolleyes: I like the idea of having higher technology under the hood ... makes my nose stick up higher.

BUT, I must say these LS motors are absolutely bulletproof. As they've been beat on and broken and been redesigned in the past, GM made these darn things so they just don't break anymore ... something else does, instead. The pushrod design gives them a lower height, the old-school design makes them FAR easier to work on, and there are mods galore.

AND, did anyone say TORQUE? :highfive:

hmm...

The Northstar is an efficent motor but I don't think it's actually lighter than the LS if you take a couple of things into consideration. First off to get the same power they had to super charge it which means more weight. Also, with the Cams on top of the head it makes the motor bigger to support it. What this means is even though the valve train is lighter the engine is heavier. Now if you make a N* with the same displacement as the LS then it will be larger than the LS and heavier. Good design for a in-line config like a 4 cylinder but it turns a V8 into the same foot print as a big block. In other words I don't think the N* will fit very well into the CTS and I am guessing this is why they did not use it.

With that said I still like the N* but I prefer the LS.

The torque curve is awesome on the LS motors. My LS2 has a very flat torque curve so I have it right off the line (oh yeah :)). Tough on Diff's but it sure is fun :D

CTSV_Rob
05-23-10, 06:31 PM
The dynapack they use is realy only good for internet bragging. The numbers on them are always inflated. 400 on a dynapack is like 370 on a dynojet.

And you can't just look at peak HP numbers. A heads and cam LS6 would make almost the same power or maybe less, but the power curve would be alot better .
One of the members tried to get D3 to go up against their Maggied CTS-V on the drag strip but it never happened. They talk a good story but have yet to prove the numbers they are getting. I went up against a few of their "modified" cars at Cal raceway and I was walking away from them. oh hell, there was a CTS that was passing them.

If you want to pimp out your CTS-V then go to them but I would suggest going somewhere else for performance mods.

CTS-Voodoo
05-23-10, 06:53 PM
i was just wondering if anybody wishes that our cts-v's came with the 4.4l northstar supercharged instead of ls series motors? the modding platform would have been so much easier from what i see with the sts-v's

:lolsign:

smokisnshellz
05-23-10, 07:15 PM
No never ever ever ever ever!! I wouldn't have bought it that way I don;t even count those cars as true v series! You should trade in your V and get a Catera

shredder
05-23-10, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=0fS7v9rtm3Y&feature=related

bjv
05-23-10, 07:36 PM
The pushrod design gives them a lower height, the old-school design makes them FAR easier to work on, and there are mods galore.

Pushrod vs. OHC has been debated for a long time and will continue to be debated. The ENGINE doesn't really care where the cams are, the cams just open the valves. I was reading a R&T or C&D magazine a few years ago and they had an article on the LS7 Corvette and also a high horsepower Mercedes. I did a quick comparison of some of the stats such as horsepower vs. displacement and rpm range and they were surprisingly close.

The OHV motor is lighter and more compact than an equivalent OHC motor, which helps it to fit into a car the size of the CTS. It is also simpler and less expensive, plus if you want to mod it you just have to replace ONE cam vs. 2 or 4 of them. Cam mods are popular for LS motors, but very rare with OHC motors.

However I understand the differences in OHV and OHC motors. OHC motors have more potential due to better breathing with 4-valve configurations, and it seems to be easier to integrate variable valve timing in OHC motors vs. OHV. I notice that the new Mustang engine achieves the same horsepower as our LS motors with 5 liters vs. 6 liters.

I've owned both V6 and V8 versions of the Ford SHO but I don't really want a northstar. If a 6.0L LS motor ever comes with OHC's, 4valves and variable valve timing I would be interested in it. I think that would be 500+ horsepower. (Or I could buy an LS7, OR I could stroke my LS2... )

JD03Cobra
05-23-10, 10:46 PM

Bingo!

lilgCTS-V
05-23-10, 10:51 PM
just let this thread die, it was a simple question because of the higher out put in its stock from and boosted motors tend to respond better to mods, sorry if i offended anyone but just to finish off the day i thought i would let everyone know that ls2's are better then ls6's :D (just being sarcastic dont get ur panties in a bunch lol)

rand49er
05-23-10, 11:17 PM
just let this thread die, it was a simple question because of the higher out put in its stock from and boosted motors tend to respond better to mods, sorry if i offended anyone but just to finish off the day i thought i would let everyone know that ls2's are better then ls6's :D (just being sarcastic dont get ur panties in a bunch lol)So, you :stirpot: and then want to kill the thread?!! Just when things were starting to get interesting?!!

:thepan:

c4ss
05-23-10, 11:57 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/29/Scarface_1.jpg (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3523)

lilgCTS-V
05-24-10, 12:09 AM
i dont like where the thread is going because people are being alil narrow minded when it comes to the subject. it was a simple question yea we ALL LOVE OUR LS-SERIES MOTORS THEY ARE THE BEST some better then others (cough cough) but the thing is why change the motor for the cts-v and keep the blown 4.4 in the more expensive sts-v and xlr-v i just feel like since more people own cts-v'S if it had the 4.4 in it there would be a higher demand for upgrades and would have more power per dollar.

HeavyH20
05-24-10, 12:50 AM
I do like the idea of a supercharger. The automatic certainly makes it easy to launch and save the rear end. I have seen stock STS-V's pulling 13.1 at the track thanks to the solid launches and smooth shifts. I think you are referring to the easy mods where you simply up the boost on the supercharger. I would agree those are easy but beyond that, the Northstar is a little limited to modify. I know if I went with a supercharged engine, I would opt for a supercharged LSA with 556 BHP with almost as much torque. And, I like to row my own gears. :-)

CTSV_Rob
05-24-10, 01:29 AM
Wow, don't take any of this personal it's just a bunch of car guys discussing car stuff. The point is not everyone will agree but you do see some interesting points pro and con.

I personally have Nothing against the N* but very happy with the LS motor.

Even if they put the N* is the CTS-V I doubt that would help the aftermarket for the engine. I think the major reason there are so many parts for the LS motor is because it's in the Camaro, GTO, and of course the Corvette.

BTW, The truck motor rules! :hide:

jrosevear
05-24-10, 07:16 AM

You misspelled "torque motor". :lildevil:

2manycars
05-24-10, 10:14 AM

Uhhhh... didn't you mean the "other" motor rules?!?! Because it does. ;) :D

maxspeed96ct
05-24-10, 07:09 PM
i dont like where the thread is going because people are being alil narrow minded when it comes to the subject. it was a simple question yea we ALL LOVE OUR LS-SERIES MOTORS THEY ARE THE BEST some better then others (cough cough) but the thing is why change the motor for the cts-v and keep the blown 4.4 in the more expensive sts-v and xlr-v i just feel like since more people own cts-v'S if it had the 4.4 in it there would be a higher demand for upgrades and would have more power per dollar.

I know your thinking its good to start with a already superchrager motor, because all you need is a pulley and you make decent power. But peak power is realy only good for internet braggin . And the stock blower is very limited.

When it comes down to it the LS motor has endless aftermarket availible, and the power and tq curves are amazing. Im making only 410hp but ive beat some procharged mustangs that are lighter + make more power.

lilgCTS-V
05-24-10, 07:41 PM
yea i saw that last mustang race i was very impressed.

Baltimore07V
05-25-10, 01:20 AM
I am sure that at the end of this thread, we can all agree that an LS2 Raven V is the fastest thing on the road today....... :stirpot:

CTSV_Rob
05-25-10, 01:24 AM
If by "we" you mean the mouse in your pocket and you then yes. :D

ELES6CTS
05-25-10, 02:25 AM
I would also say no. I just love the LS platform and the manual tranny. I wouldn't want to give that up.

lilgCTS-V
05-25-10, 09:06 AM
I am sure that at the end of this thread, we can all agree that an LS2 Raven V is the fastest thing on the road today....... :stirpot:

ill have to agree.:highfive:

Jbawden
05-25-10, 11:51 AM
I wish mine had the 1982 non-turbo diesel. That thing was sweet.