: Run Flat versus Regular Tires

Bob Glenn
05-22-10, 02:57 PM
Has anyone switched from run flat tires? I know there is no spare, what are the other pros and cons? Also, the dealer recommended Sumitomo HTR Z III as a good tire for price performance, any experience with these tires? I've read some good reviews from Porshe and BMW forums.

Thanks,

Bob

Florian
05-22-10, 03:26 PM
I think everyone most everyone has changed to regular tires after the crap stock tires were worn down.

F

PGA2B
05-22-10, 09:59 PM
I don't know of anyone here that has replaced the factory run craps with the same tires. EVERYONE goes away from the Pirelli's. I am going with Hankook Ventus Evo V12 K110. Several good reviews from people with Vettes all the way to big heavy cars like ours.

jedhead
05-23-10, 12:27 AM
I went with Continental DWS Extremes. The rears are wearing pretty fast, but they are much better than the stock run flats.

Bob

fast impala
05-23-10, 10:26 AM
I had to stay with a runflat. I'm trying the Goodyear Excellence, it's a runflat made for Mercedes-Benz. It was the only other runflat I could find in both sizes. Did a FE alignment, too. We'll see.:helpless:

CIWS
05-23-10, 10:30 AM
I'm on my third set of tires, runflats were gone at 8K miles due to the BS stock pressure Cadillac tells us to run them at. Last two sets have been non run flats.

csf
05-23-10, 10:46 AM
I hated the Pirellis like everyone else.

I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS at Tire Rack, which is a high performance ALL SEASON tire. Also considered the Michelins. At $1200 a set, I wanted the higher treadwear rating of all season tires over the pure summer performance tires, and these have a treadwear rating of 400.

I have them inflated under the recommended pressures and they ride nicely, handle just fine for my style of driving, and after 5000 miles no visible wear yet. Not being able to rotate our tires is pretty rough on tire wear. So of course, with our cars who know what they will really look like at 10,000 miles.

Craig

ozmt
05-23-10, 05:07 PM
I just replaced my suck pirelli's on my 08. I intended to get the conti contact dws, but they were not in stock and i needed them right away. I went with the bridgestone turanza serenity. Very quiet and a huge improvement in handling. they have a 50,000 mileage warranty. all of the reviews are pretty good.

DraganHawk
05-23-10, 06:38 PM
Hey Bob,
For the money those Sumo's are ok. I bought my used '06 and the dealer put those on. They wore evenly. (front and rear). I got 20k miles out of them. Really the rears.(too many take offs from green lights) The fronts were still good but chopped a little bit. I was pretty happy with them.
I decided now to go with what jedhead has. I got them around March and am very very happy with them. The Conts. are actually pretty good. If they last.....I'll do them again over the Sumos.

The Conts are better in the rain then the Sumos. The Conts make a nice 2nd gear chirp!!!!!:thumbsup:

Bob Glenn
05-23-10, 10:34 PM
Thanks, everyone. I went with the non run flat (Sumitomo HTR Z III) and a front end alignment. My service guys (formerly a tire guys) had high recomendation on the price/performance. The previous front tires were very worn on the inside due to a bad alignment. My alignment must have went out when I hit a truck retread a few weeks back.

Regards,

Bob

Bigdawg58
05-24-10, 09:48 PM
Damn road gators you gotta watch out for em!!!!:tisk:

Cataract
05-26-10, 04:19 PM
Damn road gators you gotta watch out for em!!!!:tisk:

road gators! HAHAH

Philby
05-29-10, 10:22 AM
I hated the Pirellis like everyone else.

I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS at Tire Rack, which is a high performance ALL SEASON tire. Also considered the Michelins. At $1200 a set, I wanted the higher treadwear rating of all season tires over the pure summer performance tires, and these have a treadwear rating of 400.

I have them inflated under the recommended pressures and they ride nicely, handle just fine for my style of driving, and after 5000 miles no visible wear yet. Not being able to rotate our tires is pretty rough on tire wear. So of course, with our cars who know what they will really look like at 10,000 miles.

Craig

Craig- Glad to see your message. I just put on the same tires. With limited selection and immediate need to replace, I didn't have a lot of time to shop so I'm glad to see someone else made the same call. So far so good.

csf
05-30-10, 10:53 AM
Craig- Glad to see your message. I just put on the same tires. With limited selection and immediate need to replace, I didn't have a lot of time to shop so I'm glad to see someone else made the same call. So far so good.

The guy on the phone at TireRack that I dealt with knew EVERYTHING about our car - told me the Michelins would handle a little bit better but would be noiser and the Continental DWS would be better in bad weather but not handle quite as well as the Michelin or Bridgestones. So I took his advice - so far so good.

CIWS
05-30-10, 11:56 AM
I bought the Michelin (pilot sport A/S plus) last year and have put just over 15,000 miles on them so far and they're still good to go with no noise. A nice change from what I've experienced so far with tires on this car. But some of this battle has been figuring out the correct pressures to run them at despite Cadillac's recommended.

PGA2B
05-30-10, 12:33 PM
I bought the Michelin (pilot sport A/S plus) last year and have put just over 15,000 miles on them so far and they're still good to go with no noise. A nice change from what I've experienced so far with tires on this car. But some of this battle has been figuring out the correct pressures to run them at despite Cadillac's recommended.

And what do you run yours at Cold PSI or Hot PSI?

silverws6ta
05-30-10, 04:29 PM

Always gauge from COLD; too any variables into HOT pressure (ambient temperature, miles driven, car sitting in the sun, highway vs city)

I've been 28 rear 33/34 front COLD since its turning summer.

CIWS
05-30-10, 08:17 PM

When checking them I always do so first thing in the morning before I leave for work (which is around 5:00am) so that would be "cold". Currently I run 28lbs in the rears and 35lbs in the fronts.

PGA2B
05-31-10, 12:44 AM
Thanks guys!!

DMH
06-02-10, 04:59 PM
Those that went away from run flats...What are you doing about a spare??

cadillac94pimpin
06-02-10, 06:09 PM

Im playing with fire as I am currently riding around with nothing.

I would think a socket wrench with the right size socket. (forgot what size)
a long piece of PVC for tourqe to get the nuts off if needed.
A plug kit and a small floor jack is all I can think of to carry.

Plus someone who can pick you up to go get the tire filled back up.

Maybe you can carry a small air compressor in the compartment.

I know those little ones that plug into the cig lighters have never worked for me.

I cant think of anything else. If the whole is in the sidewall I have no idea what I would do.

OFF topic where do we get the TOW bolt for our cars and how do you pop that plastic cap off without scratching it?

southcocoabeach
06-02-10, 08:24 PM
I just got my tow bolt from luke at Lindsey Cadillac $54.00 delivered.you can pop the plastic piece out from the bottom with a small screw driver the tow bolt is a metric thread so I could not find a bolt any place, as someone else had suggested.

PGA2B
06-02-10, 10:12 PM

AAA:thumbsup:

Redsuade09
06-02-10, 11:00 PM
I carry a medium-size air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. If it's a sidewalk issue, I'll have to get towed. Thanks for advice on the tow bolt.

CIWS
06-03-10, 09:13 AM
Since I've had the non run flats I've had four instances of a nail or screw in the tires (mostly the rears). Only one of those has been a "fast" leak that would cause the tire to go flat in just a few hours. I came out from having drinks and dinner and found the tire almost flat with a nasty big screw in it.

http://www.ciws.net/stsv/screwtire.jpg

I had purchased and carry one of the rechargeable units that can jumpstart the car and has a compressor on it similar to this unit here (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=jumpstarter+compressor&safe=on&cid=2230762626117822404&ei=_poHTLqPKIquNrKwtZUJ&sa=title&ved=0CCIQ8wIwBTgA#p)in the trunk. So I hooked it up and inflated the tire to get me home, then once again the next day to get it to the dealership. Although at the house I keep one of these portable air tanks (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=7p9&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=portable+air+tank&safe=on&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9696546949054867991&ei=kZsHTIi_FYaINuvHyLUE&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAA#) filled to keep my air pressures correct or to fill a tire.

There's also Cadillac roadside service, and/or a 50.00 AAA membership is cheap piece of mind.

cadillac94pimpin
06-03-10, 06:25 PM
I just got my tow bolt from luke at Lindsey Cadillac $54.00 delivered.you can pop the plastic piece out from the bottom with a small screw driver the tow bolt is a metric thread so I could not find a bolt any place, as someone else had suggested.

HOLY F for a bolt lmao. What does it look like a regular bolt? Do you get just one? Ill check with my dealer I can usually talk them down to 10% over cost lol

CIWS
06-04-10, 08:03 AM
It's the bolt that should have been included with our cars and wasn't.

torched10
06-04-10, 10:50 PM
what pressure are you guys running.I only put 5,000 miles annually and not too concerned about wear,just handling and comfort.My dealer that i bought the car from last Fall unfortunately put Pirellis back on--buy im seriusly thinkng about replacing them.Ive already had a flat,solike the run flats.

PGA2B
06-04-10, 11:27 PM
I have been running my new tires at 28 rear and 33 front (Cold). When they warm up (90* ambient temps right now) they go to 32-33 rear and 36-37 fronts. I may lower them and see how they ride then. The ride is VERY comfortable with the new tires.

CIWS
06-05-10, 10:17 AM
what pressure are you guys running.I only put 5,000 miles annually and not too concerned about wear,just handling and comfort.My dealer that i bought the car from last Fall unfortunately put Pirellis back on--buy im seriusly thinkng about replacing them.Ive already had a flat,solike the run flats.

I really didn't notice much difference running from stock recommended pressures to the level that greatly extend tire life. I suspect the stock numbers were Cadillac trying to improve mileage ratings.

Current tires are 28 in the rears and 35 in the fronts (cold). This will be the first time I've gone a full year of D.D. and not had to replace the tires due to uneven wear. Too bad we've just now got this figured out as I'm actively working to get rid of the car around the first part of September. Oh well I guess the newer owners get the benefits of our learning. :)

rwwrrr
06-19-10, 02:53 PM
The Pirellis that came stock sucked 4-sure! I did stick with Pirellis though and bought the P-Zero Rosso's on the rears and P-Zero Nero's on the front. Yes they are completely different treads but they are so damn quite and sticky. I didn't know the originals were run flats, no wonder they were crap...
Oh and thanks for the info on the no spare! Going to buy a mini compressor and can of fix-a-flat this AM!