: Vinyl top replacement

SDCaddyLacky
05-21-10, 10:18 PM
Well i got a quote from a local upholstery shop, and I have a dilemma.

First things first, it's going to cost almost $800 to get the same color top as my car, which is a carmine red or maroon color. The reason for this is because that specific color is getting harder to find, and the suppliers are charging a premium for it.

Or I can replace it with a black tuxedo top which would cost $400 total which I can afford. Don't know why the Tuxedo vinyl is more expensive than the Elk Grain, but it is.

On a positive note, I wouldn't mind a black top, it would make the car stand out more, but I'am also scared it might not look right either.

My car is red, so I personally think a black top would look really nice, but what do you guys think I should do? I plan on getting it done maybe sometime this week.

Thanks Caddymen

csbuckn
05-21-10, 10:22 PM
400!! I wish I could find someone to do mine for that. I think the black wouldnt look bad but I'd probably do some photoshop or something to get an idea.

jayoldschool
05-21-10, 11:32 PM
White tops look good on red cars...

ScottConklin
05-22-10, 01:39 AM
SEM sells dyes for exterior parts if I recall correctly. Get the easiest color to take the die you want, have SEM mix the color and stick it in a couple cans for you and go to work.

And with that said I'll have to check with SEM myself Monday for exactly this reason. It might let me save most of the canvas on my Seville. I shoulda thought of it before...

SDCaddyLacky
05-22-10, 01:53 AM
I was thinking of a white top too, but I don't want to have to constantly clean the dang thing. White tops look good, it's just the maintenance on them suck.

I didn't think about dyeing the top, but wouldn't you risk it fading or rubbing off?

outsider
05-22-10, 07:36 AM
i was ganna say dye it but i didn't even think of the fading...hmmm

ScottConklin
05-22-10, 11:22 AM
SEM is the factory supplier of the dyes used, and I know GM and Ford dyed some tops. So...? I don't know. I mean most fade some over time anyway. I know they also dye dash pads and in a very real way those take more heat and sun abuse than the exterior of the car.

robb257731
05-22-10, 04:51 PM
400!! I wish I could find someone to do mine for that. I think the black wouldnt look bad but I'd probably do some photoshop or something to get an idea.

That's a really good idea.

SDCaddyLacky
05-23-10, 03:55 AM
Ok, I had a neighbor photoshop my car, and black actually looks really nice, very formal looking. A darker maroon color also looked good, but the black definitely stands out more.

After seeing different angle shots of my car with a black top, I'm satisfied with how it will turn out.

Thanks guys for your inputs, next Friday is the day, I will post pics when it's done.:bouncy:

brougham
05-24-10, 06:44 PM
Id go red and keep it original. I agree with white looking good too. I have a white vinyl roof car and never have to do anything special to keep it clean.

Fleet
05-24-10, 07:26 PM
I would either keep it red or go with black. Not white... hard to keep clean.

Red with a black top would look good to me.