: 05 STS4 to 06 STS-V?

CadillacSTS42005
05-21-10, 09:25 PM
Considering on trading in my 05 STS4 for an STS-V

Is it really worth it to take the bath on my 05 to upgrade to the V series?

Any major problems or issues to look for on the test drive and look over?

I currently have a Camaro SS (LS1 1998) which will be traded in along with the STS4 so I be losing the toy and the pratical car for strictly a toy and buy some beater to tool around with in the winter.

Heres the car

http://cochran.com/used/Cadillac/2006-Cadillac-STS-V-f61d43c60a0a0064015fd30924bdc1b9.htm?useHistory=tr ue

I am hoping to get them down a bit, I think its kinda high for a car that I know never really sold.

Thanks!

CIWS
05-21-10, 09:26 PM
Have you driven an STS-V yet ?

CadillacSTS42005
05-21-10, 09:40 PM
double post

CadillacSTS42005
05-21-10, 09:41 PM
Yup a 2006 black on black about a year ago.That boost gauge is pretty distracting...

Been dreaming about one esp with the tango red interior but the praticality of it keeps getting in the way.

vince87t
05-21-10, 10:35 PM
Just some advice, make sure if it is still under factory warranty that you buy it through their Caddy store and Certify it. Costs 12-1300 vs. 2.5k for the similar GMPP coverage. Just bought mine through Bowser Caddy and hope to have it next week. It was in Alabama!

CadillacSTS42005
05-21-10, 10:55 PM
Yea Im having it brough from Cochran on West Liberty (which is the import segment) to the Cadillac segment in Monroville, if its not CPO or they wont do it, I wont touch it

My 05 STS has 4 years 48k left on the warranty, I dont have anything to pay other than car payments and I am pretty happy about that haha.

The 05 with the 320HP N* goes pretty well but I want more and theres almost zero support for it when it comes to modding...

PGA2B
05-22-10, 12:05 AM
That price is a little high. They seem to be going for around 26-28K with similar mileage. Having owned mine for 7 months now I would never look back.

CadillacSTS42005
05-22-10, 09:04 AM
Anything I should make sure to check or look for though?

Ive herd the rear end is a trouble area.

vince87t
05-22-10, 09:52 AM
Have them run a VIS to see what warranty/maintenence was done at the dealer.

PGA2B
05-22-10, 09:56 AM
Have them reflash the computer to make sure you have the latest software since you have an 06. Check the normal things and listen carefully to the Supercharger to make sure there are not rattles. Start her up and lift the hood. smell under the hood for antifreeze smell. There should be no unusual smells. Also on the test drive punch it a few times to check for any tailpipe smoke. You will love the power!!

P.S. The tires that are on it are the ones I am putting on my car in a couple of weeks. Please report back how they feel and respond.

KRSTS
05-22-10, 12:32 PM
Cochran has a really bad rep, at least for Hundyai. My son lives near there. Be careful.

CadillacSTS42005
05-22-10, 01:54 PM
Well heres where they are at
they offered me 3500 for the SS and 15 (the pay off) on my STS4, with a payment of 460 a month, I walked.

They have since called me back and said working the numbers a little they have come down to 420 a month for 5 years...

I know I was aiming really high but I was hoping for 400 a month or lower, and there the praticality of it. I can hop in my STS4 and drive it anywhere anytime and have zero problems, the STS-V is crap in the snow, bad in the rain and short of a summer day pretty much a car I cant enjoy what its build for unless its nice out.

I want it, obviously I dont need it though, no one needs a V. I just wish my STS4 was faster.

Keep them coming boys, I told them Id let them know in a week.

KRSTS
05-22-10, 02:32 PM
WTF that's 43700 for a high mileage 2006! And your taking a big hit on the trades. NEVER negotiate for a car on monthly payments or trade-in values. I warned you about Cochran.

CadillacSTS42005
05-22-10, 03:16 PM
This ive know, I found a silver one in Ohio for 24 but I doubt it is certified or has a warranty.

With how badly the STS did especially the V I would assume theyd been praying to push the car.

CadillacSTS42005
05-22-10, 03:29 PM
Heres the other one...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=274578731&dealer_id=82131&car_year=2006&rdm=1274474745221&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=STS&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2006&engine=8 Cylinder&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&sownerid=64481301&first_record=26&make=CAD&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=15024&advanced=y&end_year=2011&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=98&standard=false

CIWS
05-22-10, 10:10 PM
I know I was aiming really high but I was hoping for 400 a month or lower, and there the praticality of it. I can hop in my STS4 and drive it anywhere anytime and have zero problems, the STS-V is crap in the snow, bad in the rain and short of a summer day pretty much a car I cant enjoy what its build for unless its nice out.

It's definitely no good in the snow and ice, but other than that I've had no issues driving it, but I run all season tires on the car too.

jedhead
05-22-10, 11:25 PM
I paid about that much last August for one with CPO warranty to 100k and 24k miles. I think you can do much better on both price and trade-ins.

Bob

SVT Gator
05-24-10, 11:43 AM
Well heres where they are at
they offered me 3500 for the SS and 15 (the pay off) on my STS4, with a payment of 460 a month, I walked.

They have since called me back and said working the numbers a little they have come down to 420 a month for 5 years...

I want it, obviously I dont need it though, no one needs a V. I just wish my STS4 was faster.

Keep them coming boys, I told them Id let them know in a week.

With a good set of winter tires, the V is just fine in the snow. It is certainly not as good as an AWD vehicle but, with an extra set of tires, you can enjoy the fine features of the V year-round. I drive mine through the snowy Michigan winters and it is fine. Of course, you need to be careful but that is no different than any vehicle...

Bigdawg58
05-24-10, 08:42 PM
Of course you could always move to Florida no winter/summer tire issues down here I love my "V"!!!!! Good Luck hope you find one as you know it's a might fine vehicle provided you get a good price and sound body and power train!

Mallet-V
05-25-10, 03:42 AM
The silver one in Ohio appears tempting, but it has 69 entries for warranty work. A friend at a dealership ran it for me and was laughing at how long the report was. I believe that its under the factory warranty for another month. Although with its history, GMPP probably won't want the business.

Platinum06
05-25-10, 11:21 AM
Here is my take on this.
I wanted an STS-4 back in 06. Went to the dealer and priced one with the N*....It was like $65K. I leased an 06 3.6L CTS and counted the months with an eye out for the STS. Returned the CTS (a long 39 months later but still had fun with it) and bought a loaded 27K mile 07 STS-4 less HUD and Gap for $28K + tax. I now also want a V but will wait for an 08-09 Lease return so I can save taking the hit. Good luck STS42005. BTW clean out your PM inbox.

Philby
05-29-10, 09:52 AM
Only had mine for about a month, but absolutely love it. Given what I've seen in this thread, and the fact that you own a camaro, you will too. Realize that while you're taking a bath on your '05, someone else took a bath on the V, so it's all relative. But PLEASE don't focus on payment. Get to the lowest cash out possible, then work the financing. If the dealer won't do that, use an online financial calculator to figure it out. Consider getting your own financing through your bank. I think most are offering very low rates right now. For comparison sake, mine is 06 and 44K mi., considering a generous trade figure, I paid 22.5. My advice would be don't stretch your finances to buy it. Warranty or not, this car will cost you big money on brakes, tires, etc.