: Question about Daytime Running Lights - How to activate them

repenttokyo
05-21-10, 06:46 PM
So I have only had the car for about 30 seconds, but it doesn't seem to have the daytime running lights feature enabled. The manual isn't very good at explaining how to activate the feature, only that it exists.

Is there something special that I have to do to get them to come on? I have searched the board, but the only thread I could find had to do with disabling the feature.

Thanks!

dowlatij
05-21-10, 06:51 PM
Ppl take the terminal off in the module in the car. Why the hell would you want to turn on those lights? You are going to have to order a new module from GM to turn them on

repenttokyo
05-21-10, 06:53 PM
Ppl take the terminal off in the module in the car. Why the hell would you want to turn on those lights? You are going to have to order a new module from GM to turn them on

I'm importing the car to Canada, ultimately - I don't have a choice.

So since I am not seeing the turn signals illuminate unless I activate the blinkers, I have to assume that I need to replace the DRL unit?

I assume install is the reverse of the removal procedure found in the FAQ?

edit: I found the part listed in this how-to: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl/index.html

When I go to GMPartsDirect.com and put in part #25721769 it calls it 'FLASHER' in the description. The price matches the FAQ however - is this the right part?

Andringa
05-21-10, 07:00 PM
Do you have the parking brake set? They only turn on when the parking brake is released.
Before ordering a new module, check that the pin is actually cut off. I have seen people post that they were able to bend the pin out of the way with out cutting it. If that is the case you should be able to bend it back.

Welcome and good luck with the lights.

repenttokyo
05-21-10, 07:06 PM
Do you have the parking brake set? They only turn on when the parking brake is released.
Before ordering a new module, check that the pin is actually cut off. I have seen people post that they were able to bend the pin out of the way with out cutting it. If that is the case you should be able to bend it back.

Welcome and good luck with the lights.

wow - and here I am sitting in the driveway with my parking brake on, wondering why I have no DRL's. It's details like this that make me glad this site exists, and I am actually going to renew my membership right now. Thank you so much.

2manycars
05-21-10, 08:03 PM
Gotta like an easy fix. ;)

I didn't know they wont come on with the brake set either.

thebigjimsho
05-27-10, 07:20 PM
Also, get acquainted with having to replace those turn signal lamps with much more frequency. I've seen a ton of DRL equipped CTSs with a light out lately.

Dumb DRLs...

repenttokyo
05-27-10, 07:22 PM
is that a cts-specific problem? never had an issue with any of my other cars, although their DRLs were all headlights.

thebigjimsho
05-27-10, 07:51 PM
is that a cts-specific problem? never had an issue with any of my other cars, although their DRLs were all headlights.
Turn signal bulbs have to cycle much more frequently. And they have to run brighter than the dimmer setting on the headlight bulbs.

repenttokyo
05-27-10, 07:52 PM
that's true, the cycling is definitely killer on those bulbs.

thebigjimsho
05-27-10, 07:55 PM
that's true, the cycling is definitely killer on those bulbs.
You know, you may be able to get by running the little corner lights in the headlight cluster instead. Although I don't know what that would entail...

calidave
05-27-10, 09:55 PM
You know, you may be able to get by running the little corner lights in the headlight cluster instead. Although I don't know what that would entail...

Because those are easier to replace.... :duck:

Just get a set of LEDs and be done with it.