: Anyone just happy to keep the car stock?

csf
05-21-10, 02:58 PM
Before I bought the STS-V I had a 2005 Pontiac GTO. The car had 400hp, way more than I could ever use or need commuting to work every day. I was content to leave it totally stock. But the longer I owned it the more I realized I was in the minority, and almost everyone with a GTO was modding their car. 500hp, 600hp, even 700 hp was possible, and I saw lots of my GTO friends invest thousands of dollars to get more power..

Then I bought the STS-V. A car that cost almost 80 thousand dollars new, with almost 500hp and all the mods from the factory with warranty - supercharger, 19" wheels, Brembo brakes, sport suspension, decent sound system, remote start, etc, etc. And yet again the first thing I see on this forum is everyone looking for mods. Have to admit, with the STS-V being a large, heavy sedan I was pretty surprised.

Now, I'm not against more power, but I just don't need more . . . of anything . . . than the STS-V already came with - thats why I'm so happy with it. So, is anyone else here happy with the car in stock form - or am I the outsider again?

Craig

Cataract
05-21-10, 03:14 PM
Times are a changing.. horsepower wars are crazy the last few years. We got to keep up with 2010/11 models coming out.. AMG's, M's, S/RS's, CTSV2, XFR, M56, Panamera; all highend luxury cars brands! Theres numerous family sedans that are faster than the previous generations of Porsche Turbos.

Red Snake
05-21-10, 04:27 PM
I have a Supercharged Viper with ~740 bhp to feed my power addiction and a C5 Vette with bolt ons to keep the wife happy. The V will stay stock except for the Hawk brake pads. I just can't handle cleaning the wheels following every run to the grocery store. :banghead:

DraganHawk
05-21-10, 07:09 PM
I am very happy with my stock '06.
I love the aggresive sound of the Borla so I want to get that.
Once that is put on, off to dyno tuning it will go.
I love the lock pick ability with GPS and DVD and want that
I love the look of chrome or custom rims and looking into that also

And I think I'm done. This one won't be modded. If I did not have any other more powerful toys, maybe I would mod this one. So I think for what I wanna do, I can call it still stock......right? And I'm ok with that.

Should have kept your GTO Craig. My '04 Pulse red is still one of my favorites I own or of the cars I have owned

NapperV
05-21-10, 07:39 PM
After modding my 09......my 10 will remain stock....not because i woulndn't like another 70+ rwhp.....but because the value remain higher and a warrantte is nice.

No worries. But the bug catch me the first time.....No need its a classy car and plenty fast...3.9 12.3

yeah i think i can live with that..if it will do that.

CIWS
05-21-10, 09:24 PM
All of my mods now are appearance / sound mods. Nothing on the car to aid performance any longer. Next new vehicle will receive no performance mods. Mainly because the vehicle is my daily driver. If I want a mod'd vehicle from now on it will be a secondary, third, etc..

csf
05-21-10, 09:25 PM
Should have kept your GTO Craig. My '04 Pulse red is still one of my favorites I own or of the cars I have owned

I also loved the GTO - and never planned to sell it. Unfortunately I broke my elbow pretty badly (slipped on ice while walking my Great Dane), had surgery, and now it doesn't straighten all the way any more - making driving the manual transmission pretty difficult. At first I was going to get an auto GTO - but then I saw my STS-V for sale and bought that instead. But yes I still miss the GTO - and I agree - one of the best cars I ever bought over the last 30 years, including cars that cost 2-3 times as much.

PGA2B
05-22-10, 10:06 AM
I have been modding cars since I was a teenager. I grew up racing and now run a hod rod car parts internet site, so modding is in my blood! I bought this car for the potential it could have and the power it has stock. I was looking for the CTS-V 09+ or an older V1 but did not like the interior layout. The 09+ looks cheap and unfinished (sorry 09+ owners). I accidentially drive an STS-V before I knew even what it was and fell in love! I am not looking for 500rwhp or anything like that. But 400+ would be a good goal and attainable. My 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP was the most I have modded a car to date. You can look at my Car Domain page to see her.

So to answer the op's question: No I am not happy with keeping the car stock (Ask my wife!!).:lildevil:

jedhead
05-22-10, 11:29 PM
I plan to leave it pretty much stock until the warranty expires at 100k miles. In order to get alot more hp will require an engine swap. I have a few years to plan.

Bob

ozmt
05-23-10, 04:12 PM
I've left my 08 pretty much stock. I am installing a lockpick this week, taken off the crappy run flats and that's about it. I, too, would like to put on the borla exhaust. Not so much for the hp increase, but for the better sound.

rodehard
05-24-10, 01:45 PM
When I was a teenager, I had a 64 Chevy Biscayne 327 and then a 64 Dodge 330 sedan 426 street ram. Both cars were heavily modified including cam, solids, head work, suspension and exhaust work. On the chevy, I cut a hole in the hood when I installed the Hilborn fuel injection so the tubes would fit. They both made about the same horsepower as my 06 STS-V and were impossible to drive on the street without daily maintenance; never in the rain. Premium gas was about 32 cents a gallon then.

Would I go the same route on my STS-V? No! I'm happy with the stock performance and love to play with the gadgets.

Bigdawg58
05-24-10, 08:10 PM
Stock so far but looking maybe to mod it a lil bit.