: XM Satellite Radio Disappeared?

Stratman
05-21-10, 02:04 PM
I have read a couple places on here about the XM channels not booting up occasionally and coming back upon next start up. This has happened to me a couple times. But mine has currently been out since Tuesday (4 days) and several restarts. Has this happened to anyone else and do you have any fixes? I do have the USA Spec Vette iPod adapter hooked up also.

tlsmeds
05-21-10, 02:14 PM
try disconnecting the negative cable on your battery for about 30 seconds. Worked for me.

cvettr/cts-v
05-21-10, 02:16 PM
If you can not get xm to come up at all as a choice when you try changing am to fm to xm then It is not seeing your xm module upon start up, but i have no idea if your adapter is causing that. I have heard of cases that it did take several startups and several days in the past to re-recognize the xm in bad cases. Most cases 5-7 start ups with a minumum of 15-20 minutes between start ups has worked for most people. Some people have also had luck by waiting 15-20 minutes and starting the car with the radio off then turning the radio on.

Stratman
05-21-10, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I don't think it is the adapter either. If it persists I'll try the battery bit. Does that reset all the driver info and nav info? I would think not.

Max-Q
05-21-10, 04:48 PM
It's real common with these cars for some reason. Just pull the radio fuse under the back seat and reinstall. Takes care of it every time. :highfive:

Stratman
05-21-10, 05:01 PM
Might do the fuse. I need to flip a toggle switch under there on the iPod adapter anyway. Again, does this affect any presets stored in the radio?

JimmyH
05-21-10, 05:23 PM
it's your ipod adapter. Many, many people who have used the USA SPEC adapter have complained about losing their xm.
You could try this one:

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud/index.html

CancerJCC
05-21-10, 09:02 PM
it's your ipod adapter. Many, many people who have used the USA SPEC adapter have complained about losing their xm.
You could try this one:

Never had an issue with mine yet. (In use since December).

Stratman
05-22-10, 12:05 AM
You could try this one:

I hesitate to think it is the adapter. I have read so many people saying it happened to them that either didn't have the adapter or had a different one. And, if I am not mistaken, I had the XM disapear on me once prior to installing the adapter. Not for this long though.

I would guess most people get this fairly shortly after purchasing the car as it is an easy install so I could see there maybe being a correlation where there is none. I just don't see a need to splice wires in a quality adapter. Take the time to make a proper harness you know what I mean. Smells of bad/cheap engineering. It is a possible culprit.

Hammerhead-R1
06-01-10, 12:52 AM
I just had this same problem happen to me today. I have the Neo Link iPod adapter but this is the first time I've lost the XM channels. Did you find a fix?

Kramer
06-01-10, 03:32 PM
Mine is pretty weird...........my XM shows up everytime under Key1 but with my wife's Key2......XM hasnt showed up as an option in the last week!!!

cvettr/cts-v
06-01-10, 05:35 PM
Is the car telling her it does not like the oprah network? just kidding, seems strange to be ok with 1 fob but not the other.

JimmyH
06-01-10, 08:05 PM
Is the car telling her it does not like the oprah network?

I could see that

Stratman
06-01-10, 09:52 PM
I pulled the audio fuse and the XM channels returned, but... now both XM channels run the ipod and I am not getting any XM stations to play. I did make some adjustments to the adapter prior to the fuse pull but none involving the toggle for the satellite radio. Even after returning the adapter to pre-error settings still no difference. While a little annoyed I haven't messed with it anymore cause the iPod is back and I am still in the free period of the XM service. I'll keep you posted if I get it squared away.

JimmyH
06-02-10, 12:59 AM
^as I have said many, many times, the xm/ipod interfaces are nothing but trouble. you are asking two very different electronic devices to coexist in harmony on the same data path. not gonna happen. at least not with long term reliability.

Stratman
06-02-10, 10:07 AM
I just don't follow your logic. You are not asking two very different electronic devices to coexist. You are asking one device specifically designed to work in conjunction with another to function as specified. I again site the fact that people who where not using an adapter of any kind have had similar XM drop out issues. It sounds to me like the XM system in these vehicles has problems regardless. While the use of the adapter may add to or make these issues more frequent I do not think it is the underlying cause. In any event, I can listen to my iPod right now and that is the chief concern to me. Worst case I just cancel XM. With 150 gigs on my iPod, I really don't even need it.

Mystical_Ice
06-02-10, 03:19 PM
Let me clear this up - it is, without a doubt, caused by your ipod adapter. The Neo and USA Spec devices are identical, just with different labels on them. I've had my ipod adapter for over 2 years now, and this is an issue with them.

WHAT WILL PREVENT THIS HAPPENING is if you be sure to not plug/unplug the ipod from the cable while driving, or while the car's ignition's on. I've found (and it's happened to me 100 times and more - gone through everything from a new XM module, to 2 new ipod adapters, and the problem remains) it's only when you disconnect or connect an ipod to it while the unit has power that you're risking losing your XM.

As was mentioned, pulling a fuse or disconnecting the (-) of the battery for a few seconds will fix it, and no, you will not lose presets, don't worry.

Mystical_Ice
06-02-10, 03:19 PM
i should add, that this may happen to people that don't have an ipod adapter, sure, but it's waaaaay more common among people that do.

Stratman
06-02-10, 05:12 PM
Well I'm just screwed then cause I gotsta have my iPod. I'll try your no powered unplugs precaution. In agreement or not on the cause, thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated.

bpitas
06-02-10, 06:29 PM
I have this pretty often and I do NOT have an iPod adapter. I *have* noticed that half the time this happens, I can switch over to my other memory setting while driving (with car in motion it only adjusts radio and nav presets, not mirrors or seats) and XM (or in my case Sirius) will be available on the other memory setting, and when I then go back to the first setting, it'll be back there too. I haven't tried the fuse trick, but I'm going to try that tonight if my Sirius happens to be out. (where is it btw? Just under the base of the seat?) Also I was JUST talking to one of the guys who sells BT integration kits this afternoon, and he said that sometimes the Bus just needs a little extra time to "hear" all the devices checking in, so turning the key on for a second before starting the car can sometimes help this kind of problem. I'm going to try that tonight too. :-)

Mystical_Ice
06-02-10, 10:41 PM
Well I'm just screwed then cause I gotsta have my iPod. I'll try your no powered unplugs precaution. In agreement or not on the cause, thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated.

have faith - in the 3 years i've owned my car i've put 88,000 miles on it (as in, i drive it a lot), and it's been several months since having any problem with the ipod adapter... i've pretty much got it down to an art now :)

and the few times it DOES disappear, i pop the hood, disconnect (-), and re-connect, and i'm good to go - takes less than 2 minutes tops, but like i said, it's been 4 or 5 months since i've had to do that, if not more

Stratman
06-03-10, 12:20 AM
I'm going to try the battery and see if total power break gets me back to square one. Call Me George Michael.

Stratman
06-03-10, 12:24 AM
I have this pretty often and I do NOT have an iPod adapter. I *have* noticed that half the time this happens, I can switch over to my other memory setting while driving (with car in motion it only adjusts radio and nav presets, not mirrors or seats) and XM (or in my case Sirius) will be available on the other memory setting, and when I then go back to the first setting, it'll be back there too. I haven't tried the fuse trick, but I'm going to try that tonight if my Sirius happens to be out. (where is it btw? Just under the base of the seat?) Also I was JUST talking to one of the guys who sells BT integration kits this afternoon, and he said that sometimes the Bus just needs a little extra time to "hear" all the devices checking in, so turning the key on for a second before starting the car can sometimes help this kind of problem. I'm going to try that tonight too. :-)

It is in the little black fuse box beneath the rear driver side passenger seat. The audio fuse location is clearly marked on the lid once you pop it open. I actually opted to house my adapter under there between the fuse boxes also. Nice little space and the wires run right out from under the seat without issue. Good luck if you haven't gotten to it already.

bpitas
06-03-10, 11:56 AM
It is in the little black fuse box beneath the rear driver side passenger seat. The audio fuse location is clearly marked on the lid once you pop it open. I actually opted to house my adapter under there between the fuse boxes also. Nice little space and the wires run right out from under the seat without issue. Good luck if you haven't gotten to it already.

Thanks for the location. Sirius has been working the last couple of days, so I haven't had to try it yet, but it usually goes out at least once a week so I'll report back in shortly. :-)

I was also wondering if anyone has done the mod to splice in an Aux Input to the Sirius/XM receiver, and found a better place to do it than under the rear shelf. Do the speaker wires from the Satellite receiver pass under the seat too or do they go directly to the amplifier in the trunk? Would be much easier to access those wires under the seat than under the rear shelf, especially considering the McGuyver repair I just made on my passenger side sail panel. :-) I want to add an Aux In so I can listen to Pandora over my Blackberry...

Stratman
07-24-10, 08:57 PM
WAY late getting back on this but I was putting in my CAGS eliminator today and also finally looked at the adapter again. I had the toggle switch set wrong for the XM Radio. I swear I checked it but it looks like operator error on my part. Somehow thought that is were it was originally. iPod, aux input, and XM Radio all check. Just in time as my free trial ended this week and I am now paying for it.

G 97
07-28-10, 09:19 PM
This just happened to me today on the way home from work. As soon as I got home i came on here and did a search to find this thread. I don't have any I pod adapter. I will see if XM comes back on tomoroow AM.

Has anyone obtained any more info on why this happens and what causes it. Clearly it is not caused by an Ipod adapter as whitnessed by the fact that several who do not have adapters are also experiencing this issue. Those who say this issues is caused by the adapter can't follow simple logic.

05velocity
08-26-10, 07:42 PM
Mine has done this only since recently installing the PA15-VETTE. There is a TSB on the problem its not the adapter but it may be aggravating the problem.

Bulletin No.: 06-08-44-011C

Date: January 31, 2008

TECHNICAL

Subject:
UAV Navigation Radio Loss of XM Satellite Radio (Replace Digital Radio Receiver)

Models:
2005-2006 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V

with Navigational Radio (RPO UAV) and XM Satellite Radio (RPO U2K)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to notify dealers that parts are no longer on restriction. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-011B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers with the UAV Navigation radio may comment that the XM band is not present at times at vehicle start-up, when this occurs only selections AM, FM1 and FM2 are available.

Cause

The XM receiver is removed as a band selection on the radio due to a loss of communication from the XM Digital Radio Receiver (DRR).

The communication is lost due to a "busy" state being reported from the XM DRR, even though no transmission is currently taking place.

The software in the XM DRR does not currently prevent this condition from occurring. A combination of heavy class 2 bus traffic and queuing of low priority XM Traffic Data messages can increase the likelihood that this condition will occur.

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIO OR SATELLITE ANTENNA.

If the Digital Radio Receiver (DRR) currently installed in the vehicle is P/N 15847358, continue with diagnosing the issue using the XM radio information found in Service Information (SI). A replacement DRR may not be needed.

If the DRR is other than P/N 15847358, the DRR will require replacement.

Stratman
08-27-10, 10:00 AM
Mine has dropped out a couple times this week. We have also been having a lot of bad weather and it has been extremely overcast. I think this also aggravates the issue. It's usually on at the next start up.

kevm14
08-27-10, 06:45 PM
Somebody should come up with an emulator to plug into the XM harness for aux in. It would be unfortunate to use XM for aux in, but still rely on the XM module to be powered on and talking to the car to switch the nav to the XM input.

MVP
02-24-12, 12:27 PM
Mine started doing this and i have the PA-15-vette. I removed the ipod connector and XM works fine. I put it back in and it disappears! I will have to try the battery disconnect or pull the fuse.

Sooner-V
02-25-12, 07:40 PM
MVP, let us know how it goes. I returned my PA-15 Vette because I thought it was the problem. I may purchase another if there is a reliable, quick fix. Thanks.

MVP
03-07-12, 10:42 AM
It did not work :(