: Victor Reinz Headgasket kits

98eldo32v
05-21-10, 12:24 PM
Ok,

I'm trying to get a feeling of how many of us on here are doing our own head gasket repairs on our vehicles.

Of course, this is not a walk in the park repair, nor do you want to be doing this kind of job twice. The gasket of choice seems for the most part has been fel-pro. I found out that Victor Reinz is the oem manufacture for the northstar.

Fel-pro sets have been averaging anywhere from 190-260.00?! The cheapest fel-pro set I've found thus far is 196.00 with free shipping.

I have found a Victor Reinz supplier for the 96-99 northstar, 175.00 plus 12.00 shipping. IF three or more sets are purchased the price will be 168.00 and there will be combined shipping which should work out cheaper.

My question is, how many people need gaskets and is anyone interested in this deal?

Thanks

tateos
05-21-10, 04:20 PM
My question is: why would you not want to use Felpro?

Submariner409
05-21-10, 04:25 PM
Looks like penny wise and pound foolish.........

98eldo32v
05-21-10, 06:24 PM
Victor reinz is the oem gasket manufacture. The oem gasket has lasted in SOME cars quite a long time.

The problem with the northstar seems to be the bolts/block. Why not use the oem gasket in this case. Even Jake recommended using the VR gasket or Fel- pro.

Then again, I guess we're both foolish.......

Submariner409
05-21-10, 09:14 PM
deleted post..............

tateos
05-21-10, 11:53 PM
Victor reinz is the oem gasket manufacture. The oem gasket has lasted in SOME cars quite a long time.

The problem with the northstar seems to be the bolts/block. Why not use the oem gasket in this case. Even Jake recommended using the VR gasket or Fel- pro.

Thanks for the explanation.

In my experience, I have noticed that FelPro gaskets are made to be as good as, or IMPROVE UPON the OEM gaskets. In other words, when they identify a problem in the OEM gasket, they try to offer a gasket that addresses the weakness in the original design. I have done a HG project, and I actually think it''s the gasket that fails first, then the threads; I can't say that it's necessarily the fault of the gasket - might be the open deck design, like AJ has suggested. I don't have anything against the VR gaskets, especially if they are OEM, but I have never had a FelPro gasket or seal let me down either. FelPro kits are really comprehensive - you will get things you would never expect, and even some things you will not use - not too sure if the VR kits are like that.

Good luck to you, whichever one you choose.

98eldo32v
05-22-10, 02:05 AM
Thanks Tateos,

I figured since I've been hunting for some gaskets at reasonable prices, I might as well try to save some $ and help someone else out if they needed gaskets too.

I'm not going with anything but the fel-pro or the victor reinz kits. ebay has some kits that are cheaper, but the first thing I ask is who manufactures the gaskets. This is too much work to go through to have an inferior gasket fail because your pockets get tight.

Fix it and forget it, that's what I've always been doing with my cars. If there's a doubt, pull it out.

Necrosan
05-23-10, 05:10 PM
Heh, all of this trouble to save a measily $25?
Buy the Fel-Pro and be done with it.

98eldo32v
05-24-10, 01:28 PM
well, I've now found the fel-pro kit for 172.00 which is the cheapest yet!

Yes, it's only 25.00, but that's 25.00 that can go to more important things like my stud kit..........

Submariner409
05-24-10, 01:47 PM
Studs are only as good as the gaskets they clamp.

98eldo32v
05-24-10, 02:37 PM
To that, I truly agree.

I just wanted to stay oem or fel-pro to stay away from problems.

I've seen these cometic mls gaskets. Has anyone tried these? How did these rate against the others?

Submariner409
05-24-10, 02:52 PM
I have used mls head gaskets in high performance Olds455 marine engines and they're bulletproof BUT I have no idea how they would do in an open deck all-aluminum engine.

98eldo32v
05-24-10, 04:27 PM
no one was tried these yet? they are a tad pricey but SOMEONE has had to try these......?

98eldo32v
05-24-10, 04:30 PM
sub, on the olds 455 marine set up, was that using the factory head bolts or was that studded for more durabaility?

Submariner409
05-24-10, 05:43 PM
I use ARP head bolts on the engines that will have little or no room to work on and ARP studs on all others. BUT I'm fooling with iron blocks and heads. For the Edelbrock/Olds aluminum heads I use studs.

Iron blocks don't have the thread "durability" problems of aluminum. You over-torque an iron block and you break the bolt, not the block.......

Here's one with ARP bolts, and they're huge.

98eldo32v
05-25-10, 02:28 AM
that sure looks nice.

I see you're using comp cam magnum roller tip rockers. One of my earlier pontiac gran prix's with the 3.1, I swapped those in. It was a nice stealth mod that really freed up some hp.

The last olds motor I built was a 403 with those rockers. I have to stay they work well.

Submariner409
05-25-10, 10:26 AM
Take a hard look at the head color - that's a pair of Mondello street ported heads with the exhaust heat riser crossover ports filled. No valve rotators and light retainers :sneaky:. A Mondello/Engle 15-100 RV high torque cam and lifters on chrome moly pushrods. +.030" Keith Black pistons with moly rings. .002" under Clevite bearings. Edelbrock dual plane. Cloyes double roller chain and gears. Melling high volume pump. Milodon 8-quart kickout pan. Pertronix distributor/ACCEL coil. Whole thing set to run on 89 octane marine gas, and run it does.

Because this is a gasket thread, all these workhorse engines use exclusively Fel-Pro gaskets.

Here's another similar one, painted for delivery, and another exact copy of the one in Post #15 in my boat.

98eldo32v
05-25-10, 02:40 PM
you've got some serious hardware and money into those motors.

Excellent job though. Mondello is considered "Dr. Olds".

I had used one of his milder street cams in an Olds 403 build up in a Cutlass Supreme. Used Fel-pro gaskets and Eldelbrock inatake and carb set up.

nice work

Submariner409
05-25-10, 03:24 PM
Because you're the OP I can drag this out a bit longer...........One of those engines, including flywheel and Velvet Drive springplate, runs about $6300 ready to run. Spin up the oil pressure, stab in the distributor, turn the key on. Let it run at 1750 for a half hour immediately for cam breakin.

98eldo32v
05-25-10, 05:30 PM
that is an amazing set up to run on 89 octane to boot. I know the boat must keep you busy. Thanks for showing those pictures of a quality built engine....