: Intermittent Power

ELES6CTS
05-21-10, 09:51 AM
Ok so I poster something a couple weeks back bout my NAV screen showing some weird symptoms. I don't know what they call it, but the information that gets transmitted to the radio, such as radio station names and song titles will store itself in place of the preset. Well 3 times now that I have had the car jacked up the radio kept the frequency presets, but cleared out all the saved station names or any songs that were saved.

Last night when I fueled up I went to start the car and it clicked about three times and then finally cranked, so I'm thinking battery. Last night the car sat for about 8 hours and before I started it up I checked the Voltage from the NAV it went from 11.8 to 12 volts. So I try to start it and I lost all power. lights went off and NAV went off. I popped the hood to see if the battery cables were on tight, which they seemed they were. I then shut the hood and got back in and the car started up with no problems what so ever.

Any idea what this might be? Bad ground somewhere? Any help is appreciated. The only thing I can think of is this last winter my car got hit in the rear and I took it to the dealership and they ordered a new bumper and painted it. Would they have loosed anything while doing this?

Thanks,
Shawn

darkman
05-21-10, 10:15 AM
Well it could be a bad ground, but the most intermittent component in the entire car is the battery itself. A marginal battery can function perfectly one minute and not at all the next. So, I would eliminate the battery first, even if it is relatively new.

ELES6CTS
05-21-10, 11:11 AM
Ok, well I went to Autozone and had the battery load test done and they said I needed a new battery. I went to Walmart, and they did not have the 78N. They only had the 78S and the guy said the S stood for south and the N is for north. Is that correct? I thought the S meant sealed. I should have looked at the CCA, but I think we have to have 900 correct?

ELES6CTS
05-21-10, 11:33 AM
Ok, it looks like S does stand for South. Does anyone know if I will have problems if I buy the 78S battery?

toastmn
05-21-10, 12:31 PM
Mine did the same thing and it was the starter solenoid that was shorting out. Cadillac wont sell just the solenoid, and it has a different connector than all of the standard $10 solenoids. I ended up removing the connector, and crimping on a regular ring connector, purchased a standard starter solenoid and spared the $300 cost for a new one.

ELES6CTS
05-21-10, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the heads-up toastmn. Is there a way to test the solenoid? I just got back from Napa and purchased a new battery. We'll see how it works out for now.

toastmn
05-22-10, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the heads-up toastmn. Is there a way to test the solenoid? I just got back from Napa and purchased a new battery. We'll see how it works out for now.
yeah, turn the key to start! Otherwise you have to remove the starter, and I hope for your sake that's not the case. Removing the cat to get to the starter sucked.

ELES6CTS
05-22-10, 06:06 AM
Well it's working for now so I will hope for the best!