: Smoother Ride

bill57
05-20-10, 11:24 PM
Is there a way to make the suspension on a late model DTS ride smoother?

Submariner409
05-21-10, 01:04 AM
The DTS is the sport-tuned version of the Deville line.

No.

Use the "VIN to RPO" converter sticky thread at the top of the Seville and Deville forum main pages and by entering your VIN you'll get the list of what's built into your car, and maybe a slight idea of the suspension tuning - but then you'll have to read up on the variations in the RSS and CVRSS suspension control systems - it's all pretty complicated, and you can't just swap struts, sensors, modules, and shocks back and forth.

bill57
05-21-10, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to learn this. Apparently, Cadillac no longer makes a smooth riding sedan; once the hallmark of the Cadillac marque. I guess Generation X likes bumpy-riding luxury cars.

Submariner409
05-24-10, 08:41 PM
Not true. Suspension tuning varies greatly in the Deville, DHS, Concours, and DTS line, with DTS having the most roadworthy suspension tuning, while the others are more "floaty" in the older Cadillac hot marshmallow tradition. In Seville, the SLS was the more cushiony ride.

bill57
05-25-10, 12:46 AM
OK 409. I'm looking to replace my 2000 Deville. The CTS rides like a truck compared to my car, and I found the DTS far less smoother than my 10 year old Deville. I had an SLS before the Deville, and found it to telegraph every crack in the road. I did not find the ride remotely "floaty". Where can I find the "marshmallow" tradition in a Cadillac that was produced in the last 3 years?
I'm serious. And disappointed.

Submariner409
05-26-10, 11:02 AM
See if you can drive a 2005+ base Deville. My guess is that would be the softest ride currently produced in the Cadillac line (except for hearse or full limo packages).

Different strokes; my STS with MRC will knock your teeth out when driven hard on winding roads, and it's not cushiony on the highway straights, either. BUT, that's why I bought the car: it handles well and can be driven hard. If MRC had ever been installed in DTS, that would have been one special fast sedan. (Karen would have one and she would never be home - she absolutely loves our insane country road runs........)

In context, if one wanted to do some real road running, you go to Corvette or Ferrari. For fooling around in a FWD Cadillac, SevilleTS/MRC was the cat's meow.

mtflight
09-13-10, 05:17 PM
Bill57, could go passive and get the FE1 shocks and struts (cheap vs. the CVRSS), and bypass the electronics. To my knowledge the springs are the same in the Deville line.