: Help: DVD Nav Buttons peeling: Did anyone get them replaced under warranty?

yonexsp
05-20-10, 06:25 PM
My local GM agent is saying that the buttons are cosmetic so are not covered under my GMPP warranty re:the peeeling.

Has anyone gotten them replaced under warranty?

I called BS to my service manager, said that many caddy owners had the same problem and had it replaced under warranty.

Hope this is true, if it is I'd appreciate help in pointing to specific cases to back up my point.

Can you guys help?

Houdini
05-20-10, 07:16 PM
I know plenty of people have them replaced under CPO warranty or the factory warranty. I'm not sure about GMPP. My dealership replaced mine without any questions but I'm still under factory warranty and it is a CPO car. Most dealerships just replace the entire radio for peeling buttons because they don't want to mess with the delicate process of pulling the radio apart. My dealer is one of the rare few that just did the buttons. I doubt my dealer will ever do it that way again because they scratched up my nav screen cover and had to replace that after weeks of argument. Sorry I don't know much about GMPP but I wouldn't be surprised if they flat out refuse cosmetic issues.

XXeR
05-20-10, 07:35 PM
i've gotten my head unit replaced twice under the factory warranty bc of those damn buttons flaking. no clue about success under the gmpp warranty though..

JDB
05-20-10, 10:20 PM
Yes, I had my NAV replaced under CPO last week (along with teh rear diff to the new one).

It's amazing how some dealers are a PITA and some going out of their way to help.

Driven2slow
05-20-10, 11:00 PM
Just jam a cd into the unit and break it and tell them the cd player doesnt work.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-21-10, 01:16 PM
I've looked up what the GMPP Major Guard covers (major guard is the best that you can get out of the GMPP program) and it covers: Components included in the following assemblies:
Engine, Transmission/Transaxle, Front/Rear Wheel-Drive Assemblies, Fuel System, Engine Cooling System, Heating and Vehicle Manufacturer-Installed Air Conditioning Systems, Electrical, Computer and Audio Systems, Braking System Components, Suspension (Front/Rear), Steering System, High-tech Components, Seals and Gaskets, Safety Assemblies

I hope all of this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

yonexsp
05-21-10, 01:42 PM
I've looked up what the GMPP Major Guard covers (major guard is the best that you can get out of the GMPP program) and it covers: Components included in the following assemblies:
Engine, Transmission/Transaxle, Front/Rear Wheel-Drive Assemblies, Fuel System, Engine Cooling System, Heating and Vehicle Manufacturer-Installed Air Conditioning Systems, Electrical, Computer and Audio Systems, Braking System Components, Suspension (Front/Rear), Steering System, High-tech Components, Seals and Gaskets, Safety Assemblies

I hope all of this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

According to my card, I have a Total Plus plan.

Component Coverage

It's as simple as this: If it's not on the very short list of what's not covered, it's covered!

Parts not covered are all glass (including mirrors, heated windshields and rear windows with defroster), fog lamps, lenses, sealed beams, lamps, light bulbs, tires, wheels, trim, seat frames, convertible or vinyl top, moldings, weather-strips, bright metal, sheet metal, door hinges, body parts (including frame), bumpers, upholstery, carpet, paint, brake rotors and drums, shock absorbers, MacPherson strut assemblies (including upper mount and bearing), batteries, distributor cap and rotor, carburetor, manual clutch disc lining, pressure plate and bushings, pipes (with the exception of power steering, air conditioning and brake pipes), engine and transmission cooler lines/hoses, catalytic converter (which may be covered by Emission Control Systems Warranties) and exhaust system, and non-manufacturer installed accessories.

cvettr/cts-v
05-21-10, 01:44 PM
Looks like you should have no problem. You may have to go to a different dealer though or come bearing the information and a gift bottle of crown or jack to soften the I told you so.

exodus82
05-21-10, 01:54 PM
If it's not under warrenty, Luke at Lindsay Cadillac helped me out. Shipped me the buttons and I replaced them myself.

yonexsp
05-21-10, 01:55 PM
GMPP say 'NO' :(

vinofyl
05-21-10, 05:15 PM
Why bother with replacing the buttons just because of the flaking? My '05V came to me used with 46K miles and black/white buttons. Quick solution: craft shop detail brush and a little black model paint. Looks good as new and no hassles.:alchi:

JimmyH
05-21-10, 05:20 PM
like others have said, go to a different dealer.

after you get your new one, tape off everything except the buttons, and spray with them with a clear acrylic. It will protect them so it does not happen again.

AG'S-V
05-21-10, 07:05 PM
Sharpie method works good for me to touch them up...once they become shiny from being used, you can't tell.