: Replacing quarter window on a coupe deville 1978

gornati
05-20-10, 11:19 AM
some of you may have followed the proccess of importing a 78 coupe deville to Brasil, some of you dont.

The point is they broke the driver side quarter window in the transport, finally after 4 months i received the new glass, nothing new about the glass came from a junkyard in FL...

Great condition, amazing package!

Now there is only 1 problem left, how to replace the broken one with the new one?

Any tips or tutorials? scale 1-10 how hard it is?

Thanks

Stingroo
05-20-10, 11:35 AM
Nice. Glad you finally got your glass.

I still think it's pretty shitty that they broke it in the first place though. They should have paid for it.

Hope you get it replaced soon. Car pics? What's the progress on it?

gornati
05-20-10, 11:43 AM
Nice. Glad you finally got your glass.

I still think it's pretty shitty that they broke it in the first place though. They should have paid for it.

Hope you get it replaced soon. Car pics? What's the progress on it?

right now i have the quarter glass, the new locks (as i didnt have any keys for it, only the ignition).

I ordered a new TVS valve, is arriving tomorrow with a friend of mine from NY, next week the new BRAKE BOOSTER will arrive.

When i have all of thos in hands, i will post some pics and progress.

Now i need to replace this window, and have no idea on how to do it.

77CDV
05-20-10, 12:59 PM
You have to remove the large interior trim piece that surrounds the window. Just a few trim screws, no bid deal, but the seat belt will kinda be in the way. Anyway, once you have the trim piece off, replacing the window and the seals should be a straightforward process.

gornati
05-20-10, 01:14 PM
You have to remove the large interior trim piece that surrounds the window. Just a few trim screws, no bid deal, but the seat belt will kinda be in the way. Anyway, once you have the trim piece off, replacing the window and the seals should be a straightforward process.

how long would you imagine? 2 hours?
thanks in advance!

77CDV
05-20-10, 01:20 PM
Depends on how experienced you are at changing windows. I've never changed a window, so I'd leave myself plenty of time.

gornati
05-20-10, 01:30 PM
Depends on how experienced you are at changing windows. I've never changed a window, so I'd leave myself plenty of time.

will try it tonight...

Stingroo
05-20-10, 01:57 PM
Maybe take pictures as you go? I know quarter windows are what everybody breaks when they try to break into cars.. lol When we had our '84 Cutlass, I think we went through six of them? People suck sometimes.

gornati
05-20-10, 02:01 PM
Maybe take pictures as you go? I know quarter windows are what everybody breaks when they try to break into cars.. lol When we had our '84 Cutlass, I think we went through six of them? People suck sometimes.

i will try to take some pics..

gornati
05-22-10, 02:59 PM
need help here guys, not easy at all to replace this 1/4 glass...

Looks like i have to remove the vinyl top?!?!

Please anyone who already did it, please let me know?

Thanks

jayoldschool
05-22-10, 05:39 PM
I'll go check to see if I have the procedure in a Fisher Body Manual.

Have you gone to an auto glass shop to check if they can do it? I realize that they won't deal with Cadillacs on a regular basis, but a fixed window is pretty standard to handle. It would be a shame to break that new window...

gornati
05-24-10, 12:03 AM
I'll go check to see if I have the procedure in a Fisher Body Manual.

Have you gone to an auto glass shop to check if they can do it? I realize that they won't deal with Cadillacs on a regular basis, but a fixed window is pretty standard to handle. It would be a shame to break that new window...

i have the body fischer manual, could not find anything...

I cant go to any glass shops specialized in caddys... i live in Brazil.
They would have to guess anyway.

I would love if someone, know a good glass shop, could call them, ask about it and post it here... if possible, it is a 78 coupe.

Aron9000
05-24-10, 12:19 AM
Did they sell cars with vinyl tops and fixed rear windows like your Cadillac in Brazil? I'm sure back in the 70's/80's they sold some sort of luxury coupe with the same sort of window setup as your Cadillac, even if they never did sell Cadillacs in Brazil.

The best thing to do IMO would be to take it to a glass shop that's been in business for 20-30 years that has some old timers still working there. I'm sure they've done this job hundreds of times and it would be a piece of cake for them to fix.

gornati
05-24-10, 06:07 AM
Did they sell cars with vinyl tops and fixed rear windows like your Cadillac in Brazil? I'm sure back in the 70's/80's they sold some sort of luxury coupe with the same sort of window setup as your Cadillac, even if they never did sell Cadillacs in Brazil.

The best thing to do IMO would be to take it to a glass shop that's been in business for 20-30 years that has some old timers still working there. I'm sure they've done this job hundreds of times and it would be a piece of cake for them to fix.

i am going to call a good glass shop in the US... it would be much easier.
Thanks anyway.