: CREATIVE STEEL: Front License Plate Bracket

MotorMounts
05-19-10, 11:10 AM
There has been some conversation about some states requiring a front plate (Oregon being one of them) and no place to mount one or an off the shelf solution. I, along with others, had no desire to drill holes in the bumper in order to mount some generic, ill fitting, cosmetic disaster just to make the cops happy.
In the photos you will see what I came up with. The bracket mounts to the lower grill with no modifications, it can be removed at any time with no signs of ever being there, which will appeal to the next owner of the car, if they live in a "one plate state"
Knowing that the bracket was going to be mounted to the lower grill and that all it had to support was a license plate, I designed it to be as "light weight" as possible so not to damage the grill over time. I also tilted the plate to match the angle of the bumper, this makes it "fit" the car, looking less generic, and a bit less wind resistance, putting load on the lower grill.
All of the parts are laser cut using stainless steel. Once installed you can't see much of the bracket, but by the way it's designed and made of stainless, what you can see will look good for years without painting.
As I was finishing the installation on my car, my son walked by, so I asked him what he thought. He said "looks good, it looks like the plate is just "floating" in front of the car". Now that it's been on there awhile, it kind of does to me too. Once you get used to the license plate being on the car, you don't notice the bracket.
If anyone is interested, I have a few of these brackets for sale, $95 +frt.
Creative Steels number is 503-316-1811

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/MotorMounts/DSC01549.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/MotorMounts/DSC01552.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/MotorMounts/DSC01551.jpg

MotorMounts
05-19-10, 11:45 AM
More pics

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/MotorMounts/DSC00948.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/MotorMounts/DSC00936.jpg

MAPerformance
05-19-10, 01:06 PM
Looks cool! I went with a Beatrush license plate bracket for an EVO 9. Mounted it upside down and it works great. Excuse the front of my car, I just wired up all the nitrous so my fingerprints are over everything and the pollen being right by the lake at our shop makes the car dusty as hell. Not to mention the bugs..

http://www.maperformance.com/gallery/pictures/P5190831.JPG
http://www.maperformance.com/gallery/pictures/P5190832.JPG

Yours looks pretty damn nice! Only thing I don't like about mine is that is has one bolt, however I have never had to tighten it or straighten it since I used lock washers.

odla
05-19-10, 01:09 PM
looks good. if i had to have a front plate iwould go this route.

CTS-Voodoo
05-19-10, 01:17 PM
Max, I gotta tell ya, you guys just make such classy looking ish. I really need to call you up one of these days.:thumbsup:

rjoffe
05-19-10, 02:44 PM
Can you quote with powdercoating ?

MotorMounts
05-19-10, 03:35 PM
Can you quote with powdercoating ?

No problem, What color? If you want something other than black, take a look at this site, let me know what you like.

http://cardinalpaint.com/products/productcat.php?pcid=2

liqidvenom
05-19-10, 04:33 PM
i think ill wait until i get nabbed for my front plate. my car is way to calm at the moment to draw any attention.

that and it spends 90% of its time sitting at work.

rjoffe
05-19-10, 04:59 PM
Just plain old black, the welds look nice and clean, but would look even nicer under a coat of powder :)

RADARB8
05-19-10, 05:32 PM
More pics

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/MotorMounts/DSC00948.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad245/MotorMounts/DSC00936.jpg

Very well done...looks great !:thumbsup:

RADARB8
05-19-10, 05:39 PM
No problem, What color? If you want something other than black, take a look at this site, let me know what you like.

http://cardinalpaint.com/products/productcat.php?pcid=2

should i dare attempt to prime and paint the bracket with a can of GM silver platinium and put some clearcoat on....

MotorMounts
05-19-10, 07:23 PM
should i dare attempt to prime and paint the bracket with a can of GM silver platinium and put some clearcoat on....

No problem, since it's stainless it's not going to rust so any coating will be strictly cosmetic. Even if the coating gets a scratch, nothing will happen to the stainless underneath.

soulja
05-19-10, 07:48 PM
Dang Motormounts, your front bumber is immaculate. I wish mines looked like that. I've considered getting mines repainted.

RADARB8
05-19-10, 10:50 PM
No problem, since it's stainless it's not going to rust so any coating will be strictly cosmetic. Even if the coating gets a scratch, nothing will happen to the stainless underneath.

Just looked at my tag plate and it would leave holes if i went with yours.. If your mounts are as good as that tag bracket I'll be buying from u soon....agian great job..ps: not sure what the new CTS have? but GM should be putting one of yours on all their Caddys:thumbsup:

deedubb
05-19-10, 11:07 PM
i think ill wait until i get nabbed for my front plate.

Same thing here...this would look pretty slick powdercoated to match.

I refuse to drill holes in my bumper.

AG'S-V
05-20-10, 02:32 PM
Depending on how many more times the Texas State Troopers pull me over for this I might look into it :)

CTSV_Rob
05-21-10, 01:22 AM
Any left?

MotorMounts
05-21-10, 02:14 AM
Any left?

Yes, I have some left. I took three of them to a powder coat shop to have them coated in semi-gloss black. Can't wait to see them when they're finished. It will probably make them "disappear" even more once installed.
I will post pictures when I get them back. For only being a license plate bracket...I'll bet they're going to be sexy as hell.
The cost will be $20 more if anyone wants a black one. So the prices are $95 for the plain stainless and $115 for the powder coated stainless plus $12 freight. Both come with stainless bolts and nylock nuts.

stoneking
05-22-10, 01:18 PM
I had an unpleasant experience about a month ago. I found a ticket on my windshield, "no front license" while parked in downtown Minneapolis in front of my office building. $108.00. Dammit! Took the ticket off the windshield, went back to the office. An hour and a half later, returned to the car. Another ticket. $108.00. The hearing officer at the courthouse said, "We don't give warning tickets for failure to display a front plate. People say they'll put one on and then they don't do it." This, of course was my plan. He tore up the tickets and I drilled the holes to mount an (ill-fitting) CTS front plate bracket. I wish I'd seen this thread first. This is much, much nicer than my quick and dirty solution, but I can't afford $216 a day to drive my car into Minneapolis....

CTSV_Rob
05-22-10, 01:24 PM
Yes, I have some left. I took three of them to a powder coat shop to have them coated in semi-gloss black. Can't wait to see them when they're finished. It will probably make them "disappear" even more once installed.
I will post pictures when I get them back. For only being a license plate bracket...I'll bet they're going to be sexy as hell.
The cost will be $20 more if anyone wants a black one. So the prices are $95 for the plain stainless and $115 for the powder coated stainless plus $12 freight. Both come with stainless bolts and nylock nuts.
I haven't been hanging around on the V forums so I am not familiar with you (sorry). Can you please tell me which payments you take and who to send the payment to?

I really want this bracket and just the bare SST will work for me. I may try to get it electropolished :) If anyone is curious about the process, check this link out:
http://www.ableelectropolishing.com/electrop.htm

Also, It's been a while since I have spoiled the V with a mod so what else do you have :D

rjoffe
05-22-10, 01:50 PM
Let us know how much the electropolishing costs you. It should clean up the welds nicely.

CTSV_Rob
05-22-10, 03:04 PM
I work for a company that sends parts out all the time so I will pull in a favor and get it thrown in with a lot of other parts :)

gsx-lex
05-22-10, 04:02 PM
Looks good MotorMounts. I've been contemplating doing the same (using the mesh grill to mount my plate). I've welded several mock ups, but yours looks very clean.

Nice job.

MotorMounts
05-22-10, 08:09 PM
I haven't been hanging around on the V forums so I am not familiar with you (sorry). Can you please tell me which payments you take and who to send the payment to?

I really want this bracket and just the bare SST will work for me. I may try to get it electropolished :) If anyone is curious about the process, check this link out:
http://www.ableelectropolishing.com/electrop.htm

Also, It's been a while since I have spoiled the V with a mod so what else do you have :D

Our phone number is 503-316-1811, give us a call, we can take your credit card info over the phone, then ship your bracket same day.
We also have engine mounts, trans mounts and rear differential bushings.

rjoffe
05-24-10, 02:52 PM
Any ideas on a quick disconnect for this setup ?

CTSV_Rob
05-25-10, 01:16 PM
Mine is on order, hope to get it by the end of the week :D

mberisha
09-29-10, 03:27 PM
Max,

Do you have any more if these plate mounts left? It looks like I "gotta" have a front plate to pass the German inspection process.....

Please PM with any details.....Thanks!

BTW.....any progess on a "quick disconnect" that was mentioned in one of the old posts?

mcbsff
09-30-10, 09:25 AM
Just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with my front plate mount. Looks great on my car!
Great work!

heavymetals
09-30-10, 02:01 PM
Ordered mine.

Looks a heck of a lot better then my solution.

CTSV_Rob
09-30-10, 10:16 PM
You will not be disappointed Heavy, nice work. If I ever wash my car again Imight post pics of it. I started to set one up like yours Heavy, then I saw the link, stopped, ordered it and it's still on the car.

The only problem I had is the supplied hardware spun When I tried to tighten it into the bracket so I had to improvise a little but I would buy it again. That and I picked up some rubber washers at Lowes to put between the bracket and the mesh so I am hoping when it gets removed it will not leave a mark.

YoshiV
10-02-10, 10:30 AM
Nice product. If I ever get busted for no front plate I'll probably be giving you a call.

Noisycow
12-16-10, 02:43 PM
Are these still available? I don't want to drill into my bumper. Cops love to write front plate tickets here. '05 Silver CTS-V. Probably best color match would be just plain, unpainted bracket?

Also looked at the hideaway/electronic plates, but I don't see the point outside a car show. Here in PDX I'd never be able to hide the plate anyway.

Chris0nllyn
12-16-10, 03:13 PM
I'm about to get MD inspected and was trying to figure out if these were still available also...I would leave it off, but the cops around here are very bored and will pull me over in a heartbeat.

Noisycow
12-16-10, 04:23 PM
In Oregon, the plate must be 'properly mounted'. A anal cop can ticket you for a plate mounted to the lower grill with cable ties, screws. This bracket would probably get a pass though.

I hate a front plate, just butt ugly, but I hate being pulled over or given a $216 ticket from a meter maid even worse.

heavymetals
02-10-11, 04:47 PM
I am so GD mad I had to post this.

I fought for over an hour with the CRAPPY HARDWARE for the mounting. :thehand:

It would have been nice if the "square hole captures bolt" would have actually worked instead of just spinning around and rounding off the bolt square. :thepan:

I suggest a round headed bolt with an Allen head capture for future production.

Very good looking design, but the hardware SUCKS.

mberisha
02-13-11, 03:48 PM
In Oregon, the plate must be 'properly mounted'. A anal cop can ticket you for a plate mounted to the lower grill with cable ties, screws. This bracket would probably get a pass though.

I hate a front plate, just butt ugly, but I hate being pulled over or given a $216 ticket from a meter maid even worse.

The same kooky laws here in Germany...however the mount passed THEIR inspection....so I'd imagine it should pass any state inspection....

CTSV_Rob
02-14-11, 11:08 AM
I am so GD mad I had to post this.

I fought for over an hour with the CRAPPY HARDWARE for the mounting. :thehand:

It would have been nice if the "square hole captures bolt" would have actually worked instead of just spinning around and rounding off the bolt square. :thepan:

I suggest a round headed bolt with an Allen head capture for future production.

Very good looking design, but the hardware SUCKS.

lol, I thought the same thing. HW = The suck but the mount design was sweet. I had some SST HW sitting in the garage so I found a nice place in the bin for the HW that was supplied with the plate.

To the designer:
I would suggest if your going to send the mount with Hardware like that, include a no hardware option. I do appreciate that you sent the HW but it was a big let down when it started to spin in your bracket.

The same kooky laws here in Germany...however the mount passed THEIR inspection....so I'd imagine it should pass any state inspection....

Passed in California also :thumbsup: If you need to have a front plate, this is the way to do it. I made up some brackets and started to install it and realized it looked a bit ghetto so it came off and I ordered this one. Very professional but I wish I had polished it before I installed it!

heavymetals
02-14-11, 11:57 AM
You know me, and I was so freaking mad I called Cristie @ Creative and gave her an earful.

Very good design, shot down by crappy hardware.

CTSV_Rob
02-14-11, 08:06 PM
lol, so how did Cristie take it?

heavymetals
02-14-11, 08:28 PM
lol, so how did Cristie take it?

Very defensive, but I got my point across.

Never heard anything back either.

CTSV_Rob
02-15-11, 12:43 AM
I sure hope did listen, the HW was awful.

heavymetals
02-15-11, 12:19 PM
I just got a package in the mail.

New REPLACEMENT hardware with stainless bolts with an Allen capture.

That is customer service!

CTSV_Rob
02-15-11, 04:45 PM
Well I guess I should have said something to them, Always nice when the vendor listens :thumbsup: