: Northstar 8-6-4 Technology, Did it Ever Exist?

malatu
05-19-10, 09:40 AM
Did the Northstar engine ever use the 8-6-4 technology that cut out two cylinders at a time at higher cruising speeds to save fuel. I had a conversation last evening with a friend and he suggested that the Northstar, at some point in time, used this technology.

Ranger
05-19-10, 11:05 AM
Don't think it did.

STSS
05-19-10, 11:45 AM
The only thing close to 8-6-4 on a N* that I can think of is "camel mode" (aka "REALLY HOT") where the PCM shuts down half the cylinders to pump air through the engine to keep it from overheating.

50 miles at 50 MPH with no coolant, I still remember the commercials.

ryannel2003
05-19-10, 12:17 PM
I'm sure GM had a prototype for something like this on a Northstar, but the only 8-6-4 I've ever known of from Cadillac was the disasterous 8-6-4 from the 80's. GM's 5.3L small block used in the '06-'09 Impala SS has a 4 cylinder shut off feature, and it's completely unnoticeable to the driver.

tateos
05-19-10, 03:14 PM
I don't think it would ever work - I have driven in camel mode - there is very little power. My driveway is a moderate hill - the car barely made it up the hill.

97EldoCoupe
05-19-10, 06:11 PM
I'm wondering why GM would advertise that the car would be without coolant at some point.....maybe advance warning of the HG failures ahead of us? :histeric: OK I love Cadillacs and GM in general so I really shouldn't kid around like that....

Submariner409
05-19-10, 11:08 PM
"Camel mode" was designed to get Granny safely to a gas station/repair shop. It was NOT designed to allow a conscientious car owner to neglect basic engine/fluids checks.

If you ever get a "Low Oil Level" "Check tire pressure" or "Low Coolant level" or any other such warning you don't belong in a Cadillac. Get a KIA.

I've been on this soapbox before........If a modern car driver/owner ever saw a temp gauge cycle from 198 to 230, an oil pressure gauge cycle from 25 to 65 psi, or a vacuum gauge flick from 5" to 23" of vacuum - all perfectly normal occurrences - they would go freako. Dumb gauges and idiot lights are just what their inherited names signify.

Kick94sts
05-25-10, 03:42 AM
lol yea when i see my temp hit 223* i get mildly concerned but i know the fans kick in and i dont let it happen often haha

94CaddyConcours
05-26-10, 03:07 AM
WELL I TRIED IT BEFORE. FORGOT WHAT I DID? I THINK I PUT A SWITCH FOR THE INJECTOR FOR BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT BANK. TURNING OFF ONE SIDE KEPT IT RUNNING, BUT WHEN I TURN THE OTHER ON AND SHUT OFF THE OTHER IT DIED. AND YES IT WILL THROW SOME CODE. Sorry about the caps. Only thing i would worry is when to turn off on side and turn the other on and also one side being hotter than the other can cause head warp.

Submariner409
05-26-10, 09:51 AM
Camel mode drops pairs of cylinders, one in each bank, in a rotating sequence so that all cylinders are cycled on and off and all cylinders carry the same load/heat during the time the mode is operating.

8-6-4 also dropped pairs of cylinders, not just one bank. Dropping one entire bank would be most definitely harmful to the engine if done for any length of time, as in highway cruise, where 8-6-4 was designed to be used. Talk about oddball firing order and power production if only one bank were operating..............

AMGoff
05-27-10, 10:41 PM
WELL I TRIED IT BEFORE. FORGOT WHAT I DID? I THINK I PUT A SWITCH FOR THE INJECTOR FOR BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT BANK. TURNING OFF ONE SIDE KEPT IT RUNNING, BUT WHEN I TURN THE OTHER ON AND SHUT OFF THE OTHER IT DIED. AND YES IT WILL THROW SOME CODE. Sorry about the caps. Only thing i would worry is when to turn off on side and turn the other on and also one side being hotter than the other can cause head warp.

Why on earth would anyone ever, EVER honestly and purposely try such a thing? The Northstar's "limp" mode was only designed solely in the event of catastrophic coolant loss and in extreme emergencies where the car MUST be driven somewhere. In such situations, the engine will alternate shutting down half of the cylinders (two per bank and in appropriate pairs) while forcing cool air through the inactive ones... No V-engine is (nor would any engineer in their right mind try) designed to alternate between one entire bank to the other, the harmonic imbalance alone would tear the thing to shreds.

I know you like to tinker with things (obviously with little regard to the possibility of irreversible damage) and by no means do I wish to insult you because you have been genuinely helpful here on more than one occasion... But that seriously has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of someone intentionally trying to do.

arctic_man
05-31-10, 03:47 PM
Dumb gauges and idiot lights are just what their inherited names signify.

Ive got an idiot light on my battery, and half of the time you can't read it or it isn't working... the battery is 2 years old...