: Is Dex Cool really necessary in our cars

kbf250
05-19-10, 12:23 AM
I have read some bad things about using Dex-Cool in your engines.
I would like to flush mine and would like to know what other brands
won't void my warranty.

cad08stsv
05-20-10, 03:25 AM
KBF250, Good Morning,
I think that is what the factory calls for. I know my 96 Impala SS did. Any thing eles would evenully gum up the radiator . I could be wrong
I have not owned my 08 V long enough to see I will look in the factory service manual and post or you could call your dealers service writier. Thay would know.
Russell

ewill3rd
05-20-10, 09:22 AM
I've read bad things about talking on cell phones, driving over the speed limit, watching TV, and walking and chewing gum.
I still do them.
Don't believe everything you read.
Maintaining the car is important, nothing wrong with using the stuff that it was designed to run with.

cad08stsv
05-26-10, 05:18 AM
eWill3rd Good Morning.
RIGHT.

silverws6ta
05-26-10, 07:18 PM
I've read bad things about talking on cell phones, driving over the speed limit, watching TV, and walking and chewing gum.
I still do them.
Don't believe everything you read.
Maintaining the car is important, nothing wrong with using the stuff that it was designed to run with.

I think this scare hinged back from the L67/L36 3800 engines; many people blamed DexCool contaminant exposure to 'erode' the LIM gaskets -- Since it took design revisions from GM, and aluminum framed gaskets solved that problem -- I think everyone knows the culprit.

I didn't change mine until 110k on my SSEi; but at 150k now -- no problems; no puddling; no contamination -- using DexCool once again..

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-27-10, 11:44 AM
Yep. Blew a 3800 IM gasket Wasnt the coolant. It was the damn plastic intake and crappy rubber gasket. Eventually eroded the bearings because the coolant was in the oil. I guess you could blame the dex cool for tearing up my bearings but I don't think it should have IN the engine in the first place

fast impala
05-27-10, 01:29 PM
The 96 Impalas had issues with Dexcool, many had gummed up radiators and heaters, a reaction with something in the system, I guess. A good flush usually cured it.

I had and still own a 95 Impala SS, and it came with the green stuff, no problems along those lines.

I'd definitely continue to run Dexcool in anything late model, if that's what it calls for.

cadillac94pimpin
05-28-10, 03:21 PM
I think it was those tablets that were dropped in there that messed it up.