: 92 FWB Buildup

92cadvette
05-18-10, 09:04 PM
Hey,
Newbie here. This site is great. I am building a musclecar 92 FWB and was wondering has anyone used an ls v8 engine series in the D bodies yet. I am also thinking about a vortech swap or running a 454 in it. The smallblock with a power adder is more pratical being I already have a 305 right now but I need to find out what rear axle I have and if it can hold up to the power. I'm guessing it's a 7.5 but hope it's the 8.5?? Right now I've been happy to upgrade the front suspension to Impala ss Eibach springs, SS wheels and dual exhaust. Kinda has a cool rake to it.....
Any ideas much appreciated.

Shawn

drmenard
05-18-10, 09:27 PM
Why not keep it a cadillac? There are plenty of us who have put a 500 or 472 in these cars...I know of three vendors that work just with these motors...Its not to hard to get these to 425hp and 500 ft lbs of torque.. and if you want 500hp it can be done...

92cadvette
05-18-10, 09:38 PM
Hey great idea. I have been wanting to research that possibility too. There is of course no replacement for displacement. Would kinda cool to crush the big 454's with cadillac derived power.

csbuckn
05-18-10, 10:51 PM
Do you think you can post a side view of the car with the impala rims on it? I've been debating those for a while. Do they rub much? You have 8.5 3.08s in the rear, or the rare 8.5 3.43/3.73(don't remember with one) posi in your car now. I vote the caddy motor, save another one from the crusher.

Stingroo
05-18-10, 10:58 PM
The better rear end was 3.42, IIRC. I don't think 3.73's were ever an option. Would be sweeet though.

Are you trying to turn it into a drag car, I assume?

csbuckn
05-18-10, 11:10 PM
Had to look this one up cause I've been looking for one, 91 & 92 came with an option for 3.73 9.5" posi. Still had drum brakes and it doesnt say what swaybar is one it either. Wonder if anybody here has one.

jayoldschool
05-19-10, 01:06 AM
91 & 92 came with an option for 3.73 9.5" posi. Still had drum brakes and it doesnt say what swaybar is one it either. Wonder if anybody here has one.

Commercial chassis only.

ScottConklin
05-19-10, 03:56 AM
3.42 with the OD (beefed accordingly) behind a 500 should give you excellent all around performance and mileage. If you really want to spend $$ a 4L80E is just a turbo400 with an OD and electronic controls in the valve body. Not sure if it's possible to match the BOP&C bolt pattern, though. That's what A-dap-tor plates is fer. Just ask Johnny Cash.

If I am not mistaken it's also possible to do the same retrofit to rear disc brakes as is done on the 9C1, Roady and Fleetwoods to step up to the Impala SS brakes. Minus the ABS I think, but still... I'm less certain but I think the BMR rear arms and the Hotchkiss and BMR sway bars for the B/D body work, too, as well as used Impala SS springs front and rear.

92cadvette
05-19-10, 11:59 AM
Here is a side pic after i got the wheels and before the eibach front springs. You may see the space in the front wheel well and how the front sits up. The second pic is upclose after I lowered the front end with the impala ss eibach spring kit. There is no rubbing in this configuration at all.
I am glad to here the rear axle is the 8.5, this will allow me to get some 3.73's then cool. I am going to research the big block cad option more. The goal is to be able to run 13's with a car this big and outrun a few unsuspecting pony car's or rice burners.

outsider
05-19-10, 12:20 PM
This sounds like a fun project! I don't know if your intention is to buy a motor already built up or if you're interested in building one up yourself (or having it built) but I do remember a member here was going to be ditching a caddy 472 engine I think because he had no place to store it...Maybe you could get in touch with him and the two of you could help each other out.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/179845-1969-coupe-deville-convertible-restoration-4.html

See the last post on this page. Not sure if the distance will throw you off or not, you could probably find one in Florida pretty easy, but would be nice to save this block from being destroyed. :)

Stingroo
05-19-10, 12:24 PM
Where in FL are you? :)

92cadvette
05-20-10, 12:04 AM
I'm in largo florida not far from tampa. Yeah I am ready to build. I actually picked up a 4 bolt 1pc 350 and started messing with it but I still am set on that wow factor offered by a big block under the hood. So I'm open to a cadillac motor. I'll check around here and see what I turn up. Would be cool to meet another b or D body person interested in speed.
shawn