: 1995 FWB coolant recovery tank

HUF
05-18-10, 04:22 PM
The part of the recovery tank near the fender deteriorates. I do not see what causes this damage. I can literally dig into the plastic wall with a fingernail.
Is it common?

thefleetwoodguy
05-18-10, 05:21 PM
no never seen that, looks like something got on it
battery acid? maybe
Ive got the if it starts leaking,,,....

HUF
05-18-10, 05:35 PM
no never seen that, looks like something got on it
battery acid? maybe
Ive got the if it starts leaking,,,....
The wheel house and surrounding are had massive damage caused with a leaky battery. But I do not see how that particular part of the recovery tank might be affected. My guess would be sun damage or damage caused with elements if the hood was left half open for an extended period of time. Hard to believe in that scenario since the car has been always garaged. A mystery! lol

drmenard
05-18-10, 09:43 PM
Maybe when it was made it was just a bad mix of plastic....I would get another one before it starts to leak.. thats not a recovery tank .. Its part of the system and has pressure in it all the time...

jayoldschool
05-18-10, 09:45 PM
I have never seen that before! Time for a new (or used) tank...

HUF
05-18-10, 10:31 PM
I have never seen that before! Time for a new (or used) tank...

Yep, new recovery tank for about $75 shipped plus a new OEM radiator inlet tank for another $45, probably new heater core for $50 and a heater valve assembly, new radiator hoses for whatever... Thank God I can do all the job myself! :)

HUF
05-19-10, 02:34 AM
Maybe when it was made it was just a bad mix of plastic....I would get another one before it starts to leak.. thats not a recovery tank .. Its part of the system and has pressure in it all the time...
I am sure it looked like any other tank when it was new. The damaged part was most likely exposed to some aggressive factors (sun, elements, etc.)

I do know that the tank it is a part of pressurized cooling system. But how would you call it? The FSM calls it Coolant Recovery Reservoir.

HUF
05-21-10, 08:42 PM
The part of the recovery tank near the fender deteriorates. I do not see what causes this damage. I can literally dig into the plastic wall with a fingernail.
Is it common?
The damage is definitely caused by exposure of that part of the tank to sun rays. I just closed the hood to the point it just clicks but does not close completely and looked at the tank through the gap between the fender and the hood. Sun damage. So, make sure you cover the recovery tank if you have to leave the hood half-open.

jayoldschool
05-21-10, 09:27 PM
Interesting follow up. Why would someone leave their hood open?

HUF
05-21-10, 10:01 PM
Interesting follow up. Why would someone leave their hood open?
Looks like the old lady bumped into something - there are a couple of scratches on the front bumper and the grill might be replaced as well. Nothing major, but probably enough to pop the hood open and not let it be closed. I believe it was the reason they took the keys off and sold the car! :) I do not think the hood was open for more than a month (according to my records from the dealer).

jayoldschool
05-21-10, 10:04 PM
CSI Cadillac ;)

HUF
05-21-10, 10:15 PM
CSI Cadillac ;)
Yep, there is no used car without a history. :)

scurling
05-22-10, 01:28 AM
I have nt see this type of dmage with my two vehicles, but I do have the wheel house damage from the ever present batterie acid in that area.

Does anyone have a source for a new wheel house part? I've tried the dealer and the Keystone parts catalog at my local parts house.

HUF
05-22-10, 03:15 AM
I have nt see this type of dmage with my two vehicles, but I do have the wheel house damage from the ever present batterie acid in that area.

Does anyone have a source for a new wheel house part? I've tried the dealer and the Keystone parts catalog at my local parts house.
Are you talking about 93-96 Fleetwood?

HUF
05-22-10, 03:25 AM

Does anyone have a source for a new wheel house part? I've tried the dealer and the Keystone parts catalog at my local parts house.Some of ACDelco batteries of that era leaked. It is hard to notice particularly if you never open the hood. My battery tray was virtually gone and there was a big hole in the wheelhouse. I have patched it up really good and made a battery retainer. Total cost some $15.