: Falling off rubber fillers.

HUF
05-18-10, 04:13 PM
How do you deal with falling off rubber strips (see the picture)? Some suggest removing them all. Is there any way to glue them permanently? Thanks.

SDCaddyLacky
05-18-10, 04:36 PM
Are they black? If so u could just glue it back down into place, but personally i would remove them because underneath reveals a nice shade of chrome! I am not totally sure the strip that is peeling off in the pic has the stainless trim, but the bottom black strip can be removed with some paint thinner, I actually took some of it off on my car, and it looks better. I never understood why Cadillac decided to use all that back rubber strip on top of stainless trim, when it's not even weatherstripping.:bigroll:

HUF
05-18-10, 04:42 PM
Are they black? If so u could just glue back down into place, but personally i would remove them because underneath reveals a nice shade of chrome! I actually took some of it off on my car, and it looks better. I never understood why Cadillac decided to use all that back rubber strip on top of stainless trim, when it's not even weatherstripping.
They used to be black, but now they are grayish. I do not know either why they are there...
Anybody glued them down successfully?

thefleetwoodguy
05-18-10, 05:18 PM
yes, glue them dowm 3m emblem adhesive

HUF
05-18-10, 05:37 PM
yes, glue them dowm 3m emblem adhesiveThank you, will try.

scurling
05-19-10, 02:19 AM
I don't understand the engineering of the strips myself. They do keep out dirt, moisture, and other junk that will tend to fill in the crack. Cadillac could have just designed the chrome to meet flush with the door in my opinion. I have use the emblem adhesive, as suggested above. It's tough if you go through a car wash and find them pulled out a little more than they were before, so I have since avoided the auto car wash with brushes, at all costs.

ScottConklin
05-19-10, 03:27 AM
When these cars were new that rubber was rather pliable and served to send most water and dirt over the main molding and away from the nooks and crannies. Theoretically it also helped airflow, eliminating those same nooks and crannies. The former it did well, the latter...well I doubt it but who knows.

Anyway, I mixed up some epoxy just the other day and fixed the ones on my FWB. Small mix amount, a toothpick and some 3M lite release tape and a couple hours later they aren't going anywhere again for a loooong time.

HUF
05-19-10, 06:30 AM
When these cars were new that rubber was rather pliable and served to send most water and dirt over the main molding and away from the nooks and crannies. Theoretically it also helped airflow, eliminating those same nooks and crannies. The former it did well, the latter...well I doubt it but who knows.

Anyway, I mixed up some epoxy just the other day and fixed the ones on my FWB. Small mix amount, a toothpick and some 3M lite release tape and a couple hours later they aren't going anywhere again for a loooong time.

The tape is a good idea, What kind of epoxy? Just a five minute epoxy?

durrk johnson
05-19-10, 12:55 PM
Hey, i just went to the store, and got some seal-all, and glued it back down with a tiny bit of it. The strip hasnt came loose since... Now if all of these other issues were that easy....

ScottConklin
05-19-10, 03:45 PM
Yup, just a generic five minute epoxy.

HUF
05-19-10, 04:22 PM
Thank you for the replies. I'll try to glue them down.