: Anyone wanna drop $11k on this cream puff?

outsider
05-17-10, 08:20 PM
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/1744287566.html

Says it's all original and has all original documents. :sneaky:

looks pretty nice but not 11k nice :P

MudAnt
05-17-10, 08:59 PM
"15,000 miles on it"

If that's true, it's easily worth 11k. But I highly doubt a 32 year old car has 15,000 miles on it.

77CDV
05-18-10, 12:46 AM
They do exist, but finding them is a true rarity.

Cadillac_Fan
05-18-10, 01:45 AM
"15,000 miles on it"

If that's true, it's easily worth 11k. But I highly doubt a 32 year old car has 15,000 miles on it.

I always enjoy perusing the classifieds and get a kick out of the fact that most sellers often unscrupulously represent late '70s and '80s Cadillacs as only having mileage in the tens of thousands. There are more low-mileage Cadillacs available from the '70s and '80s than ones over 100,000 miles, that is if anyone believes these folks!

Moreover, I also get a rise out of the descriptions (i.e. "it was grandma's car -who recently passed away- and she only drove it to church on Sundays blah blah blah..") only to look at the pictures of "grandma's" car and see it on 24-inch rims, several years worth of high school parking permits stuck to the windshield, and subwoofers in the trunk. A pretty hip grandma, I gather.

Or, the stories how the car has set and not been driven for years...despite the fact one can clearly see the dirty license plate with tabs indicating current registration and Taco Bell wrappers strewn across the interior.

Finally, the claims of "this car has every option, it has it all, no option spared." Only to note it has the base wheel covers, standard non Bose radio, no astroroof, no phone, no d'Elegance trim, no Electraclear windshield, etc. (Case in point, the car which is the subject of this thread is not on factory wires, no astroroof, nor does it appear to have the d'Elegance trim - despite the seller's emphatic claim it has "every available option.")

robb257731
05-18-10, 08:49 AM
What on earth is an Electraclear windshield? Automatic wipers?

The whole misrepresentation issue p*sses me off every time. See my last thread on the 1983 Coupe DeVille. The guy said "Oh yeah, my dad died a couple of years ago and the car's been in the garage since. I put a new battery in it last year and it drove great. He took excellent care of his car and there's nothing wrong with it at all....everything's in awesome shape."

Uh-huh. I got there to find a car sitting on half-inflated tires with cracking sidewalls, fillers all cracked and/or broken, hole in the driver's seat, the trunk lid wouldn't stay up on it's own, and it wouldn't start to boot. On top of that the guy then said it hadn't been driven since his father died 5 years ago, and when he got it started a couple of days prior "it ran really rough and shook really bad....I don't think you'd get it to the highway (which was about a mile away) and if you did, who knows how long it would run." The only positive thing to the whole car was that it didn't have any rust on it and all the brightwork was there and in good shape.

All that from the guy who said it ran like a clock.

Bro-Ham
05-18-10, 11:40 AM
If you're serious about buying a super low mileage car you'll find one if you look hard enough or keep your eyes open - you won't find them every day. About 8 years ago I purchased a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham which was advertised with 9,700 miles. I wasn't specifically in the market for this particular car but I saw an ad in the Auto Trader, the paper magazine, and I was curious enough to drive nearly an hour to look at it and it was indeed a 9,700 mile car - like new, out of the box. I was hooked! The guy was proud of it and he knew what he had. Plus it had the rare dual airbag restraint system. I decided to pull the trigger and it was a super fun car to own. I sold it about a year later after driving it to 12,000 miles and I even made a some money on it from a buyer who was over 1,000 miles away from me. You have to pay to play and no one will ever make you buy a car. If you ever want to know what it may have been like to own your favorite car when it was new there is no better way to do it than in a well preserved super low mileage original car - they smell new, they look new, everything is tight and right, you may need to deal with some service or mechanical freshening but otherwise get ready for some WOW! :)

The-Dullahan
05-18-10, 02:32 PM
They do exist, but finding them is a true rarity.

True, I found that Zimmer with 13,000.

Not digging that colour combo...rain, snow or whatever...

The-Dullahan
05-18-10, 02:44 PM
The whole misrepresentation thing is typical, especially on Craigslist. Classified ads are great fun to read, because nobody researches anything. Cars are always the ones that were only driven once a month and only in the odd-numbered months and only if it was clear out, pets are always housebroken, spayed/neutered friendly, rare breeds and trained like Lassie, especially Cats and services offered ads come from the highest paid professionals in the business, who only left because they apparently made so many millions they retired by 20, but liked the work so much they still do it and they always worked for all the top companies, but can;t remember the names of where they worked.

Hearse misrepresentation is awesome and takes it to a whole new level. People always claim it to be a very rare model of Hearse because they've "never seen another one" (Like a Brougham Hearse, because there are only five in the country, I know because I looked on the internets and only saw a photos of four others. OMG, I are so much a rarity!) fully loaded (because all commercial chassis are fully loaded, hence few hearses have cruise control and none have astroroof) the interiors are always like new (except that huge stain on the seat and the ripped headliner, don't worry, it'll buff out) and for some reason, they usually have no hood ornament, trim, bumper fillers, etc, etc.

Most Hearses produced during the eighties by the larger chains were Broughams and the interiors were nearly identical, save for coloration, which was typically blue or burgundy. There is a local one for sale on Craigslist that keeps popping up. He wants far more for it than I would say it is worth, just because "Jay Leno has one just like it, there were two perfectly identical ones made and be bought one and made it into a limo" and because it appeared in the background of a famous movie. Be sure to check out this local student's unheard of film as soon as it hits theatres near you.

The allure of vintage cars is used as bait for these people and thusly, most ads that sound too good to be true...are.

codewize
05-19-10, 08:58 AM
It's not impossible. If you look in my "I'm on a hunt" thread you'll learn that I missed out on an 88 Brougham with 20k on it or just under 20k.

The car was garage kept all it's life and when I drove it she was like a brand new car.

The guy wanted $3800 for it but I didn't have the cash last year. This spring when I called to buy it it had already been sold. Stupid me.

So now I want one but no, it's not worth $11k. That's a fantasy. These car are $7000 - $8000 on the hi side. I see some for $10k but they're not selling.

I think the normal selling range right now is about $5000.

The-Dullahan
05-19-10, 01:28 PM
Here's a great example of a FL Cadillac
http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/1726550567.html

Now all you need is the $20,000 for the car and the additional funding to repaint it, get rid of those wheels and probably ditch the interior too...

ScottConklin
05-19-10, 03:11 PM
My 64 Coupe Deville has 36k on it and the original title. I've not yet transferred it from my grandmother's name, and when I do I'll file for a lost title first so I can save the original. But yeah, low mile cars are out there. OTOH the number of people who don't grasp a 5 digit odometer(nevermind the tenths) and think just because it shows 30k means it *has* 30k astounds me. Right now there's an 82 Olds 98 coupe on the highway nearby for sale. Guy told me the story of how he got it from a guy selling his mother's estate. 40k or so original miles, she bought it new, went into an old folks home with Alzheimers...

I didn't have the heart to tell him her son screwed him. I stopped to check the car out because I sold it to her in 99...with 190,000 miles on it then...

outsider
05-19-10, 03:45 PM
^ Haha nice. Yeah it's funny when people assume the odometer has never been rolled. Why they created such small odometers is beyond me.

ScottConklin
05-19-10, 04:02 PM
Because the prevailing logic "back then" was that a car was done at 100k. The odometer numbers don't line up once they roll over(theoretically) to show it's rolled. Like I used to tell potential customers, back when your car cost 5k new a 100k miles was decent use for your dollar. When your car costs 50k new a mere 100k miles is sorta not getting the best bang for the buck...

But really the whole 100k thing goes all the way back to the 30's and softer alloys equaling shorter lifespans. By the 50's this was mostly cured, even with the higher RPM demanded from non-overdrive trannies. Still, the "wisdom" holds to this day for some people and a six digit odo is just a way to make sure they avoid all those "worn out" cars Personally my current 94 FWB is the first thing I've owned with less than a 150k as a daily driver since I bought a new TA in 87...

outsider
05-19-10, 04:05 PM
I would love to see someone roll at six digit odometer :D doubt it could happen without replacing the engine a few times in between but who knows?

ScottConklin
05-19-10, 04:33 PM
There's probably quite a few, but I know of exactly one Dodge Cummins with over 1 million miles on it. Original motor(block and head, anyway). Digital odo, though, so it takes the fun out of it.

The-Dullahan
05-19-10, 04:50 PM
I would love to see someone roll at six digit odometer :D doubt it could happen without replacing the engine a few times in between but who knows?

That'll be me, but we'd never know, because I have the 5 digit.

Honestly, that's one reason I was happy to get an '87 Brougham was that there isn't really any sort of ditization (I know that's not a real word) about the dash, other than the climate control. I just think it looks nicer that way.

If I ever have to sell my car, at least I know it will only have 00002 miles on it and all factory equipment, because according to Craigslist ads, there is nothing supposedly "fully loaded" Caddy's have that I don't.:histeric:

steck
05-20-10, 10:15 PM
Moreover, I also get a rise out of the descriptions (i.e. "it was grandma's car -who recently passed away- and she only drove it to church on Sundays blah blah blah..")

i have no idea why people insist on using this little phrase....

unless its a joke, when someone is selling a crotch rocket or a hopped camaro or something !!

77CDV
05-21-10, 01:56 AM
My overwhelming favorites are the people who don't have any idea what they're selling. Case in point:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1750518101.html

Yeah, it has Fleetwood inserts on the rear bumper, but it's still a Sedan de Ville! :annoyed: At least the fool knew it was a 1970. :bigroll:

The-Dullahan
05-21-10, 02:01 AM
Come now, some people are even worse. Do you know how many times I see people confuse Devilles and Broughams? The scary thing is I hear 4-door Broughams referred to as "Coupe Devilles"

The-Dullahan
05-21-10, 02:02 AM
Speak of The Devil, She's back.

it's 1,100 miles, my mistake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-ZIMMER-GOLDEN-SPIRIT-ONLY-1100-ORIGINAL-MILES-/400123568597?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item5d293921d5

77CDV
05-21-10, 02:34 AM
With all those other fabulous cars in that wherehouse, especially that luscious '54 Caddy I see lurking in the background, who the hell would pay $44K for that Zimmer?

77CDV
05-21-10, 02:36 AM
Come now, some people are even worse. Do you know how many times I see people confuse Devilles and Broughams? The scary thing is I hear 4-door Broughams referred to as "Coupe Devilles"

My fave is the "Coupe de Ville Convertible". :banghead:

The-Dullahan
05-21-10, 02:53 AM
I have learned that any Cadillac produced prior to 1975 is doomed to be mistaken for basically any other Cadillac produced before 1975. I once saw a car for sale advertised as a "Phaeton Convertible" whereas the "Phaeton Company" was mentioned, more than once as the car's make, rather than Cadillac...Because lest we forget that Esteemed Phaeton division of GM.

glass6t
09-07-10, 07:35 PM
I've got one of those cars that most people wouldn't believe to be real. And it's interesting to see that some of the comments about the imitators are true with my car. It's a 1983 Couple DeVille, with 16,000 original miles. Yep, that's true. It's not an odometer rollover. My dad bought it at auction with 12k miles several years ago, then became ill and wasn't able to drive it much. He passed away in 2005 and the odometer had 15,997 miles. We have the history and repair records to support the mileage. Over the past few months my brother an I have begun bringing it back to life. The usual stuff... clean fuel tank, new pump/sending unit, new filter, hoses, belts, coolant, etc. Converted the AC to the new coolant, new exhaust and had the windows tinted. Now I'm determining what to do. Perhaps lower it and perhaps some american mags, low profile tires. Not sure. Doing my research now. It's silver and it's beautiful since it's been stored and covered. Just thought I'd pass on that there's at least one true, genuine and unbelievably low mileage car around. I've been a corvette guy over the years and currently own a 60 (that I purchased in 1978), and a 2000. So the caddy is another fun cruiser. Thanks for listening. Rick

csbuckn
09-07-10, 11:49 PM
Thats pretty cool Rick, a lot of plans ahead. Any plans for the motor? There was a guy on here that said he had the last RWD coupe off the assembly line with papers to prove it. I think it was black but he said he would NEVER sell it. I think it was just one post on someones thread, maybe the "pics of two door...", but I dont remember who it was.

glass6t
09-08-10, 06:56 AM
No plans for the motor as of now. I'd really like to swap it out, but will live with the original until I can mentally justify putting the money into it. Besides, does anyone really need more than 135 hp in a car?!?!?!? (that's a joke) Such a shame. The car barely gets out of it's own way. So for now, it's a comfortable cruiser.