: I took my first Junkyard Journey

water walkin warrior
05-17-10, 07:04 PM
I had my first junkyard experience last weekend. It was awesome. I was looking for parts for my '89 Brougham. It doesn't need much, but the cruise control wouldn't stay on because the switch on the box had loosened some. I found one. The exact one I needed and it works. I also had cut the rear wires and wanted to find the original speaker connectors, so I could use a speaker harness instead and leave the original intact or at least reattached. I found them in the same Fleetwood. While cutting the wires out, I looked up and BAM!, Alpine 6x9's in good shape. I snatched them right up and went home to hook them up. They sound awesome! I got the speakers, the cruise control switch box, and the original speaker connectors for $40. I'm looking forward to going back and trying to find a nice vintage Cadillac V emblem to put on the trunk instead of the wreath and maybe some working side opera lights. I know not all trips will be rewarding, but for my first one, it was a fun. Just wanted to share my experience.

MudAnt
05-17-10, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a profitable trip! That reminds me, I need to fix my cruise control as well.. Don't know what's wrong with it though.

and maybe some working side opera lights.

Don't get your hopes up, the only working ones left in the world are NOS ones on eBay or in a warehouse somewhere, very hard to find.

The-Dullahan
05-17-10, 08:24 PM
Alpine for the win.

Cool, nice find. I am still hoping to find out of there are more junkyards by me, as the single Brougham at the last junkyard was basically a shell of a car. No mirrors, bumpers, interior, about 1/4 of an engine...

It's always a fun experience though. Good luck on your next trip.

Yeah, those damned opera Lights. If my car HAD Opera lights, I think I'd just tear them off and run wires for LED's or some very small white neon tubing into them and then they'd last for a million years. My Brougham DOES however have those fancy reflector whatnots behind the front doors. Maybe I'll convert those into Opera lights someday.

I don't understand WHY the Opera Lights were ever made the way they are.:hmm:

outsider
05-17-10, 08:32 PM
i still haven't found any pull aparts in my area :(

Stingroo
05-17-10, 08:49 PM
Alpine is ehhhh. They're good off-the-shelf speakers, but much, MUCH better can be found.

Good steal for $40 if they work though. I wouldn't complain at all about that. :thumbsup:

sven914
05-17-10, 09:09 PM
For a V-Crest, look for '80-'84 de Vills. Those emblems are the glue on type and will replace your wreath no problem. I think the any older V's will be the bolt on type, which will work, but cutting off the studs and filing them flat can be a bitch.

The-Dullahan
05-17-10, 11:04 PM
My sentiments exactly, Sting.

I'd trust an alpine head unit over a few of it's competitors of equal price. As for speakers, I know there are higher quality products in the same price range and would opt for them. Never been a Stereo junkie though. It's good money to install systems in people's cars though.

for that price, a working set of mid-level 6x9's is great, as crappy ones from your local department store probably cost more anyhow.

The-Dullahan
05-17-10, 11:07 PM
i still haven't found any pull aparts in my area :(

Roadtrip time. :burn:

I have to go to California to get the leather interior out of that Brougham that Benzilla found at the junkyard. I'll pick you up on the way (because Maine is certainly someplace between Florida and California...give or take 2,000 miles)

csbuckn
05-17-10, 11:55 PM
Your gonna get addicted

Stingroo
05-18-10, 12:00 AM
Benzilla is in Tennessee.

And hey, I like my Alpine head unit. :thumbsup:

Benzilla
05-18-10, 12:06 AM
Yup, Tennessee..

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your first junkyard run! They can get addictive, trust me.

1980coupe
05-18-10, 06:11 AM
[QUOTE=water walkin warrior;2247222]and maybe some working side opera lights.
I got a pair that work, but these are different from what you have on your car. These are for a 2 door and mount on the vinyl top sides. JYs are addictive, you never know what you'll find.

jayoldschool
05-18-10, 10:30 AM
I still need 80-89 rear fillers if anyone is bored at the junkyard...

outsider
05-18-10, 10:32 AM
Roadtrip time. :burn:

I have to go to California to get the leather interior out of that Brougham that Benzilla found at the junkyard. I'll pick you up on the way (because Maine is certainly someplace between Florida and California...give or take 2,000 miles)

got my bags packed waiting for the hearse to pull up ;)

deVille33
05-18-10, 11:37 AM
Most of the local yards here crush older cars as soon as they come in for the weight. One yard holds on to Monte Carlos, only because the son races dirt track. Cadillacs don't last long. I have a personal relationship with the owner. He'll sell the whole car to me, but I have to give him back the body parts I don't use. I had a shop where I could take the whole car inside and strip it, then I send him back everything I don't use. I used to do it in my yard, but the city gave me so much heat over my operations, I gave up.

1980coupe
05-18-10, 12:23 PM
I still need 80-89 rear fillers if anyone is bored at the junkyard...

the one I frequent a lot doesn't have any on any of the cars I've seen. There's one though that I said let's see what they have and there's one way in the back a 4 door burgandy Fleetwood with another car stacked on top. From what I remember seeing, that car has the rear fillers intact and even has the little chrome on them that are hard to find on the fillers. (mine has it) I'll check back and see what can be done bout the car on top and see how much he's asking for them.

The-Dullahan
05-18-10, 11:18 PM
Benzilla is in Tennessee.

And hey, I like my Alpine head unit. :thumbsup:

OH...then that's where I'm going. I've been to Tennessee, I think I remember where it is.

Yeah, I like my Alpine Head Unit, it was a great price too, since it has mp3, Cd, tuner and all that fun crap and cost $40. I had to go to one of those Best Buy places to get it, outside my city but that worked out too, because a year later I met the fire chief from the city the Best Buy is in and he remembered seeing my car way back when and it turns out he restores 60's and 70's Harleys and builds hotrods and offered to help me repaint my car when and if I ever get the chance to hit him up on that, which is good, because it's not like I could steal doors off of a regular Brougham, even if there WAS a junkyard that had them.

The-Dullahan
05-18-10, 11:22 PM
I'll need to plunder a Leather Brougham interior sometime, but I still really need to find a Limo or Hearse for that piece of trim my car has, but if I find some bumper fillers I'd snatch them up in an instant, they're something somebody always needs. The Brougham I found at the last junkyard was basically a shell, one main piece as well as a broken hood and a flooded trunk and trunks are so ****ING WEIRD!

water walkin warrior
05-24-10, 06:19 PM
I need to go back already...I was cleaning the map light in the back and the tiny caddy emblem came off. I set it down and planned to put it back on later. I went to vacuum the car and thought "Hey, I'll hit the carpet in the back window. The Homer Simpson in me kicked in and I sucked up the emblem. Dohhhhhh! I couldn't get into the vacuum at the car wash and now I need to get that emblem. lol From the sounds of it, I guess I'm real fortunate to have 2 or 3 pull your own parts JY in my area. In fact, I think I remember seeing the emblem in the same car I got the other parts out of. As far as the V emblem goes. If it's a straight one, I was thinking that I might be able to just bend it a little to go in the back of my car over the middle edge.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
05-24-10, 07:41 PM
I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU GUYS.

I went to a local wreckers yard (thats what we call em here ) on the weekend .
Was after a part for my partners toyota.
All cars were jappers or korean .
Not one v8 not one.
Not even sure I saw a v6

I am seriously thinking of setting up a bizzo by coming to usa for a month or so and spending this time wrenching parts off chebby,cad, foord,mooopar ,olds ,placing them in a container and shipping em home .

mike

The-Dullahan
05-24-10, 08:13 PM
I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU GUYS.

I went to a local wreckers yard (thats what we call em here ) on the weekend .
Was after a part for my partners toyota.
All cars were jappers or korean .
Not one v8 not one.
Not even sure I saw a v6

I am seriously thinking of setting up a bizzo by coming to usa for a month or so and spending this time wrenching parts off chebby,cad, foord,mooopar ,olds ,placing them in a container and shipping em home .

mike

Hey, I saw only one V8 at the one I went to and it was in a Lincoln. The only Cadillac there that was even worth my time was just a shell. Keep looking through the yards, at least if you find a REAL car among those Wapanese wrecks, it'll stand out from a mile away.;)

YourMainParadox
05-27-10, 09:25 PM
no yards here have old caddies like mine let alone hearse but a u pull it here has 3 caddy limos that are 80s ish era

The-Dullahan
05-27-10, 11:20 PM
no yards here have old caddies like mine let alone hearse but a u pull it here has 3 caddy limos that are 80s ish era

Really? Oh the awesomeness.

Hey, if you come across a big piece of that chrome trim that they have along the car (typically just beneath the windows) and you ever get the chance to pull it while at the yard, I will pay for it, pay for the shipping and even pay for your labor.

Damn Jacksonville, having all the GOOD junkyards.

YourMainParadox
05-28-10, 02:35 PM
I don't go to that junkyard because they don't have anything my age range. Jacksonville does not have all the good yards :( uless you know something I don't

The-Dullahan
05-29-10, 04:21 AM
I don't go to that junkyard because they don't have anything my age range. Jacksonville does not have all the good yards :( uless you know something I don't

Just what I've heard. That and it's a large, old city. Orlando is too, but all the property is sucked up for resorts and timeshares. There are literally timeshares built straight up to the edges of the city dumps or prisons. In fact, there's a local MEGA Timeshare place that has these beautiful resorts and gorgeous grounds, complete with golf courses and ponds and everything...and it is built right up to the backside of Disney's Animal Kingdom...where the animals are housed when not on display. You can smell it all the way from the highway, and if you happen to be STAYING in those resorts (which are in the back, to be away from the highway) you are literally right downwind from those stables.

Hahah, stupid tourists.

YourMainParadox
05-29-10, 10:12 AM
Orlando has some nice abandoned resorts too :O

The-Dullahan
05-29-10, 04:08 PM
Orlando has some nice abandoned resorts too :O

Yeah, but I prefer the abandoned Hospital in Staten island...or the bay, which is floating with rusty, abandoned ships. There are some abandoned raised highways up there too, each with the next highway built beneath it. If you stand at the top one it is just a long, faded road going through the sky with no sign of civilization in either direction.

Abandoned buildings in Orlando get demolished quickly. Westgate Lakes, however is still in full operation, but at the heart of it's property are the oldest buildings which have been abandoned for a number of years and are left open. They are all grown over with plants and last time I was there (Same day I went to the junkyard myself, ironically) I had a stack of furniture piled up three stories I used as a bridge to cross over from the balcony to pull a knife out of the wall, as apparently that's what drunk college kids do these days, go into abandoned buildings and throw knives up into the ceiling.