: Driver Seat- Support/Comfort Level

davahad
05-17-10, 04:01 PM
I currently have a 2009 BMW X5 with "Comfort Seats" which are not comfortable at all. They have 20 way adjustments, however, the padding in the seat bottom and back is almost non-existent and they are brutal on my back. Looking to move to an Escalade and would like to hear owner's opinions on the Escalade Drive Seat.

Thanks.
David

jason1214
05-17-10, 05:19 PM
Be sure and sit in it as I am 6-4....and my head rubs the ceiling unless I put the seat back
a long way tilted back. the seat is as low as it will go.

PreachRR
05-17-10, 05:46 PM
Um.. they are cool.. But I will be honest and say the prior generation were a little softer and more comfortable.. for me.. But these new models have a firmness that handles your weight pretty evenly..

davahad
05-17-10, 06:37 PM
Is there a difference in the cushion/comfort for the seats that have the cooling?

hcvone
05-17-10, 10:11 PM
The seats are poor in the Escalade's, not anywhere close to the seats in the 02's to 06's, they were much better, but I am the wrong one to ask, I have many Escalade's

vfjdesign
05-18-10, 03:15 AM
I agree that the seats in 02 to 07 were more comfortable, Especially the back seats in the EXT's, However, I find the front to be as comfortable as anything out there now.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-18-10, 09:01 PM
The seats in the 2010 Cadillac Escalade are front bucket seats with leather seating surfaces, driver and front passenger 14-way power seat adjusters including 4-way power lumbar control with independently heated driver and front passenger seat cushions and seatbacks (3 settings) and 2-position driver memory. Hopefully all of this gives you the comfort you are looking for.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

CadX6
05-18-10, 10:13 PM
As Carl says - The front seats in the 03-06 models were far superior to the 07-10 models.
They were plusher, more supportive (laterally), softer, & plus they had an excellent fold down arm rest.
The seats in the new ones are hard, virtually flat & the only thing that resembles an arm rest is to use the top of the console which is too far away & uncomfortable.
Don't even get me started about the sun visors (my wife constantly reminds me what junk they are compared to our 03).
But - notwithstanding all that, I really liked our 07 & current 09. But then I've only had 3 Escalades - don't think I'll ever catch up to Carl :crying:.

Actually, the hot tip for you is to head down to your local Cad dealer - ask for a test drive & make your own judgment. You may not get to try it out on a week long cross country trip - but you might be surprised & find out you can either live with the seats - or not, in a short amount of time.

hcvone
05-19-10, 08:03 AM
I currently have a 2009 BMW X5 with "Comfort Seats" which are not comfortable at all. They have 20 way adjustments, however, the padding in the seat bottom and back is almost non-existent and they are brutal on my back. Looking to move to an Escalade and would like to hear owner's opinions on the Escalade Drive Seat.

Thanks.
David

My BMW dealer gave me his X5 demo to drive yesterday while my M6 was getting a part replaced, the sticker was 77k, the seats were worse than the Escalade seats in how narrow they were, and like many Euro cars the seat padding is almost nothing, made me like the poor seats in my Escalade's even more.

jpatt49
05-19-10, 06:14 PM
My 2004 Avalanche had much better seats in my opinion. But I have grown used to the seats now. Just got back from a 500 mile round trip with no issues.

CadX6
05-19-10, 09:12 PM
My BMW dealer gave me his X5 demo to drive yesterday while my M6 was getting a part replaced, the sticker was 77k, the seats were worse than the Escalade seats in how narrow they were, and like many Euro cars the seat padding is almost nothing, made me like the poor seats in my Escalade's even more.

Sounds like things never change. Before she got her CTS, my wife had a 525 BMW. That thing always gave me back aches - even on short trips. I had a series of STS's at the time & always managed to come up with an excuse to drive my car when we went anywhere together.

The cruise control on our 2007 Escalade croaked about 200 miles into a 2000 mile trip to the east cost & back not long after we got it. That'll show you real quick if a seat is comfortable or not - it wasn't :mad:

davahad
05-19-10, 10:36 PM
Appreciate all the feedback on the seats. I hate to say it, but even my old 2000 Ford Explorer that we still use occasionally for work is much more comfortable than my X5. The seats in the Ford are large and have a ton of padding in the seat bottoms.

So why did the Auto Industry go to these newer uncomfortable bucket seats with very little padding? Seems crazy not to offer better seats in top-of-the-line vehicles.....Are there any other manufacturer's still making a good comfortable seat?

Going for a test drive tomorrow and will see for myself but not holding out much hope. Perhaps I will try and find a used 06?

CadX6
05-20-10, 01:35 PM
Going for a test drive tomorrow and will see for myself but not holding out much hope. Perhaps I will try and find a used 06?

Give the thing an honest evaluation - don't let us sway your thinking. Even though we gripe a lot at least most of us really enjoy our Escalades, even with what are actually minor shortcomings. It appears that those of us that had 03's thru 06's tend to gripe more since that generation was really comfortable & well done inside.

davahad
05-24-10, 04:28 PM
Did the test drive and the seats are definitely more comfortable in the Escalade vs. the BMW X5. I think I'm going to rent one from Hertz for a couple of days to make sure I can live with the seats and the overall size of the vehicle.

One other observation....Being 6'2" the thing I noticed first is how little head room you have even with the seat all the way down. For comparison I sat in the SRX and it had a lot more head room with the seat all the way down.

Appreciate all the feedback here and will report back after driving the rental.

hcvone
05-25-10, 11:24 AM
You are correct my 06' and 08' SRX have way more headroom and leg room compared to my Escalade's