: Chrome moulding/trim for 1996 Fleetwood

darth666
05-17-10, 11:36 AM
Hi guys!
I'm hoping you guys can help - I am looking to replace the upper moulding/trim on my 1996 Fleetwood Brougham (its the thinner trim that goes along the body, not the thicker moulding at the bottom).
I'm having a really hard time finding the chrome. Any tips? I called a parts place and they said that Cadillac stopped making them.
I'm in the DC area, if there is somewhere local..otherwise, online.
I'd guess the trim I'd get from a junkyard would be in pretty bad shape (as mine is) so I'm hoping to find something new.
Cheers!
-Henrik

outsider
05-17-10, 12:30 PM
I think there was a thread about this recently...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/198505-any-tricks-wrinkling-cracking-chrome-trim.html

Some info to help you find some there. I think Jim said he has an extra set.

thefleetwoodguy
05-17-10, 01:02 PM
I have three of the 4 pieces, both front fenders and 1 rear quarter
as it stands theres another member who said he may want them
Ill give him a couple ,more days then there for sale again
also I can get brand new ones nos, but they are not cheap
the used ones I have are in v/nice shape...Jim
www.thefleetwood guy
new website coming soon!!!
will have some inventory as well as fleetwood facts.....

darth666
05-19-10, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Funny about the same thread a month ago..
I am actually a professional car painter, so the chrome painting options are definitely interesting.
FleetwoodGuy, how much is "not cheap" when we're talking NOS....?

Cheers,
Henrik

scurling
05-19-10, 09:23 PM
I replaced the fender strips a few years ago. Had no problem getting them through the local Chevy dealer. Paid around $40.00/each. I plan to go the chrome paint route if I repair them again. The process, quality, and prices have really come of age.

ScottConklin
05-20-10, 01:51 AM
OEM still available from Cadillac as recently as two months ago. $80 per piece.

darth666
05-20-10, 03:44 AM
Hrm, thats interesting - I talked to my "guy" and he said Cadillac stopped making those pieces......
And which Chevy bits did you get that fit? How's it look???

-Henrik

DPGC23
05-20-10, 10:59 AM
Dam 80$ for each piece???

Dpgc23

scurling
05-20-10, 01:15 PM
What I ordered from the Chevy dealer was the Cadillac parts for my '94 Fltwd. I NEVER go to Cadillac for parts. The Cady dealers usually charge 10 to 15% more, and you can order any GM part from any GM dealer. Often if the dealer tells you the part is not made any longer, they can search the national warehouses via database query for available stocks.

If the fender strips are now at $80.00, that price really has jumped. Sounds like that's the way things are going with the older cars. Body parts are getting scarcer. Keep the old parts and get them chrome painted in the future.

ScottConklin
05-21-10, 12:32 AM
Your guy was correct(as far as I know) Caddy stopped making the spears several years ago. But they made a LOT of those spears while they were making them. As scurling said, you just need to get a parts guy to actually look for them.

OTOH, some bright soul is going to have to come up with a truly effective alternative before long because this problem isn't going away before we run out of spears.

Ya know, I just thought of something I saw at a metal shop the other day. It was some aluminum "rod" they were using. Long rolls of it, flat on one side and sort, well, not flat on the other two but close. A triangle similar to the spears. That could be cut to length and easily shaped on the ends. Clear coat it...I wonder if it would be too heavy for the 3M tape...

Hmm, I am having some aluminum inserts made for my Ram's doors, I'll check this out when I pick them up. Probably as expensive as the factory pieces, but at least it would be a one time fix.

darth666
05-21-10, 03:43 AM
Yeah, of course! That makes sense to go to another GM place other than Caddy to get the parts. Never even thought of that, but really smart :)
I'll give em a call later this week.

My parts guy is just bein lazy I think haha..he just told me they were all gone..

The aluminum solution sounds interesting, with some clear coat I bet it'd look just as good....!

Cheers,
-Henrik