: Wheel hop hop hop bang

Castro
05-17-10, 11:03 AM
Nope it didn't grenade but it sounded like it. It started hopping from a stop sign, I let off and heard a loud thunk/clunk/bang sound from the diff. It... moved. I put it in gear and drove home fine, no leaks, like nothing happened but something isn't right. I did the CS diff bushing already, but sometimes in reverse it feels like the diff is moving/chunking around, and sometimes going from reverse to 1st too. I have a decent whine but the diff was replaced late 2008 so should be the latest version. Any thoughts on what this could be? I just got the gforce axle last week and haven't installed it yet, I'll be doing that before hitting the TC button again.

PISNUOFF
05-17-10, 11:20 AM
I installed the GForce axles (both sides) this weekend and my hop is 90% gone. Good luck, glad it didn't break on you before you installed them.

Castro
05-17-10, 11:35 AM
On the plus side though, I got it detailed Saturday and every swirl mark and scrape is totally gone. Looks brand new except for a couple minor rock chips. Mirror shine!

How much diff movement is normal? For other wheel hoppers did you feel it/hear it clunk and move a lot?

CadiBlk
05-17-10, 11:57 AM
Check the CV bolts? I'd go around and check the torque on every bolt that is involved with the rear suspension.

You can feel the diff move? hmmm.

PISNUOFF
05-17-10, 11:59 AM
Mine used to hop horribly and the cradle bushings had worn so bad that the cradle hits the body when it hops bad enough. Might be what you heard.

rangerrob
05-17-10, 12:04 PM
castro, nice mirror shine on the detail... what'd you use?

Castro
05-17-10, 12:29 PM
Hmmmm, since I'm doing the axle soon I'll check everything at that time. Cradle bushings... I was hoping this wouldn't need to be addressed. We'll see.

I took it to a local shop called Dagwood's who everyone says is the best. He uses a "secret sauce" so I have no idea what's in it, it's a three part process. He took out a major paint scrap on the trunk and some serious overbuffing from the hood and fender that the dealer left from the front bumper replacement. Very impressive results and he only charged me $90. He says he'll do my car inside and out for $140, so that's my plan every spring and fall from now on.

rangerrob
05-17-10, 01:55 PM
will he make house calls to Northwest, IN? lol

Castro
05-17-10, 02:11 PM
will he make house calls to Northwest, IN? lol

He might. He's a bit... dedicated, to the craft. It's his life, second generation detailer in a family owned business. I showed that first pic to a buddy and he said "I thought your car was black?"

Twitch
05-17-10, 02:26 PM
He might. He's a bit... dedicated, to the craft. It's his life, second generation detailer in a family owned business. I showed that first pic to a buddy and he said "I thought your car was black?"
I'm in PA all the time. What part is he in?

Castro
05-17-10, 03:31 PM
I'm in PA all the time. What part is he in?

Williamsport, 3-3.5 hrs from NYC.

2manycars
05-17-10, 07:28 PM
$90... damn that was a deal :)

I would be booking him tomorrow if I lived closer to him!! Trying to figure out an excuse to go to his neck of the woods :D

As far as your diff, I think the advise thus far is good, make sure you tighten everything up, and that your bushings are good.

bneal1022
05-17-10, 09:40 PM
I live south of Harrisburg.. may be worth the drive..

is there whine from the gen 3/4 diffs? I will be transferring my grey CS bushing to my used gen 4 in a few weeks and installing it with a GF axle at the same time.. My current diff whines bad and clunks like a SOB - those with latest gen diff have whine and clunk?

bneal1022
05-17-10, 09:43 PM
I installed the GForce axles (both sides) this weekend and my hop is 90% gone. Good luck, glad it didn't break on you before you installed them.

why both sides? shouldn't the shafts be different diameters? of did you buy 2 shafts in different diameters of their material? easy to swap ends to new GF shafts? any special tools needed?

Castro
05-18-10, 09:59 AM
I live south of Harrisburg.. may be worth the drive..

is there whine from the gen 3/4 diffs? I will be transferring my grey CS bushing to my used gen 4 in a few weeks and installing it with a GF axle at the same time.. My current diff whines bad and clunks like a SOB - those with latest gen diff have whine and clunk?

Yes there is definitely whine from the later versions but from what I've read on here it isn't an indicator of failure. Mine whines quite a bit actually under light load/cruising but a little stereo covers it up. I've read that changing your gear oil will be a temporary reprieve but it will return, some recommend using a thicker oil to quiet it down. Mine was replaced under warranty in late 2008, 20K miles ago, I plan on changing the oil when doing the axle swap.

Castro
05-18-10, 10:06 AM
$90... damn that was a deal :)

I would be booking him tomorrow if I lived closer to him!! Trying to figure out an excuse to go to his neck of the woods :D

As far as your diff, I think the advise thus far is good, make sure you tighten everything up, and that your bushings are good.

There's always the Little League World Series as an excuse. Get a bunch of V owners down here that week for detailing, cheap caddy dealer services ($65 for a press fit CS diff bushing swap...), backroad touring, and Beaver Springs drag strip isn't too far from here either...

2manycars
05-18-10, 04:43 PM
There's always the Little League World Series as an excuse. Get a bunch of V owners down here that week for detailing, cheap caddy dealer services ($65 for a press fit CS diff bushing swap...), backroad touring, and Beaver Springs drag strip isn't too far from here either...

Your not making this easy. :D

$65 for a diff bushing swap... another great deal!

How close are you to Harrisburg? We sometimes are up there seeing the wife's cousin/ family. They like to meet at her cousin's house, as that is half way for everyone... to meet in the middle. ;)

Castro
05-19-10, 10:09 AM
Your not making this easy. :D

$65 for a diff bushing swap... another great deal!

How close are you to Harrisburg? We sometimes are up there seeing the wife's cousin/ family. They like to meet at her cousin's house, as that is half way for everyone... to meet in the middle. ;)

Harrisburg is a little less than 2 hours, I have an office there so I go every now and then. Basically just take rt. 15 the whole way.