: Burping coolant system????

ISHDAROCK
05-17-10, 10:26 AM
Hello everyone!!!! Can someone please tell me how I can burp The air out of the cooling system? I have 2000 deville base model, I was told I might have an air bubble after I refilled coolant after I replaced a radiator hose. Thanks in advance.

zonie77
05-17-10, 12:49 PM
Theoretically the purge line will remove air from the system but revving it several times while warm ( to 3000 ) will help. Check that coolant is coming through the purge line.

Submariner409
05-17-10, 12:52 PM
Make sure the coolant reservoir is half full, cold. Start up, go for a drive. When warm (12:00 on the gauge) do a couple of acceleration runs in 1 and 2 up to 4,500 rpm or so. Drive home and let the engine cool to less than warm - several hours. Carefully remove the reservoir cap and check the coolant level - if necessary, bring it to halfway up in the reservoir, no more. Replace the cap tightly.

If you're so inclined, at this second check, leave the cap off and remove the purge line from the top side nipple on the reservoir - not the line at the neck - hold the end of the line in the tank neck and have an assistant start and idle the engine. Do a few bubbles spit and then a steady stream of coolant come from the line ?? If not, trace that line back to the water pump housing and check that the metal nipple (a hollow bolt) at that end is clear. You should be able to easily push a small Philips screwdriver tip about 2" into that nipple. If all's OK, replace everything - the system will burp itself, but DO NOT over fill - halfway up in the tank, cold.

(Sorry, zonie - I hunt and peck slower than you......)

zonie77
05-17-10, 08:23 PM
(Sorry, zonie - I hunt and peck slower than you......)

Next time I'll spot you 2 lengths!