: And it finally happened to me RIP V?

702CTSV
05-16-10, 11:49 AM
Well never thought I'd ever have to post anything like this about any of my cars but here I am. Car didnt want to go into 1st gear at all, got a little perturbed and over revved it, caught first finally but went for a ride. Bit into the rear end of a Chysler Aspen. Both airbags deployed and the front is pretty banged up. I feel so stupid and embarrassed. Have to wait until tomorrow to go look at her in the daylight and see what insurance is going to do.

**FYI, the airbags are not as soft as they make them out to look in all the commercials :banghead:**

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/Starfish1987/Accident/CIMG0032.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/Starfish1987/Accident/CIMG0031.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/Starfish1987/Accident/CIMG0028-1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/Starfish1987/Accident/CIMG0029.jpg

702CTSV
05-16-10, 11:56 AM
:thehand: And before anyone says anything..... Those stupid stick on fender vents have been there since I bought her and were planning to come off this next weekend when I was going to have all the lights blacked out. They are stuck on there pretty good :suspense:

Gus_Mahn
05-16-10, 12:12 PM
How long have you owned it? Mine is a little hard to get into gear at times. If you start releasing the clutch while pushing the shifter towards 1st gear, it will pop right in.

702CTSV
05-16-10, 12:25 PM
I've had the V for a little over 2 years. Thats what makes me even more embarrassed. I know all my cars quirks and sometimes it doesnt like 1st and reverse, but I've never had that one happen. Don't know if they are going to total or not, I know airbags are quite expensive to replace not including everything else that was destroyed.

sak_v
05-16-10, 01:08 PM
I bought my Wheel and passanger air bag withe the dash for $400
I got a great deal. But if I was you i would buy the V back if its totaled. You can make a lot of money parting it out or you can just get it fixed.

I usually buy the cars when hit and get them fixed.

Check it out: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/196642-new-sacramento-v-owner.html

Stepside
05-16-10, 02:02 PM
Well, the lights still work and that's a good sign.
Get it fixed. Get the whole car painted with a little metallic or metal flake
to highlight its lines and
change the oil in the trans and bleed the clutch completely with some new blue fluid.

702CTSV
05-16-10, 02:06 PM
From all the pictures that I've seen of totalled cars on here, the front end damage really doesnt look that severe and looks quite similar to mine. Thats why I'm thinking they may just total and call it a day. It wouldn't bother me too much since I have full coverage and gap insurance so it would be a wash and a chance for something new. But I really love my car and kind of want it back.

If they do total me out I'll probably try to find another V but looking on autotrader there arent many here in Vegas to choose from. I would buy the car back, but I really cant afford to not have a running vehicle to get to and from work. Maybe when everything comes out I may be able to find a nice one for sale on here :)

dowlatij
05-16-10, 02:46 PM
When I wrecked my V I was told if airbags deploy they total it! But honestly I had a front end collision too and it looks ur going to need a new bumper, grill, radiator, stuff like that so if it is totaled just buy it back and fix it it wouldnt be a ridiculous price.

thebigjimsho
05-16-10, 08:21 PM
:thehand: And before anyone says anything..... Those stupid stick on fender vents have been there since I bought her and were planning to come off this next weekend when I was going to have all the lights blacked out. They are stuck on there pretty good :suspense:
Well, since we got that out of the way...sorry to hear it.

Looks like most of the damage is towards the passenger side. Mine made it to total but my PCM was FUBAR'd and I had the entire driver's side scraped up. That doesn't look horribly bad...

lollygagger8
05-16-10, 09:50 PM
If they dont total it at least youll get new fenders w/o those sticky vents :2thumbs:

Also, black is the easiest color to match.

See? Two positives right there :) Heres hoping they get you all fixed up!

Jon
05-16-10, 10:02 PM
Sorry to see that :(

I have the problem getting into 1st occasionally. All I do is put it back to neutral, release clutch, push clutch down again, and then it will go into 1st. Works every single time.

liqidvenom
05-16-10, 11:24 PM
funny all these troubles getting into first, and i contacted tick to make an adjustable master... yet it got no bites.

sorry your ca got banged up though man.

WesH8398
05-17-10, 12:14 AM
Every standard car I've driven has, on occasion, not liked going into 1st or reverse. Like Jon, simply putting it into neutral and pressing/releasing the clutch once or twice does the trick... Playing with revs while trying to push it into gear sounds like playing with fire to me ... especially with another vehicle in front of you. Hope it all works out man ... If they write it off, definitely hang on to the car if you can afford to!!

CadiBlk
05-17-10, 10:38 AM
Sorry to see that :(

I have the problem getting into 1st occasionally. All I do is put it back to neutral, release clutch, push clutch down again, and then it will go into 1st. Works every single time.

Word to this ^^

I find that I only get the problem with 1st when I get lazy and don't downshift through all the gears and don't line up the syncros.

g/l with the car.

702CTSV
05-20-10, 12:47 PM
Went down to the body shop today to get some stuff out of the car. Estimate they submitted to fix the car was $13.5, and my insuarance company accepted it :cookoo:. So I guess I'll be getting the car back in about 2 weeks :suspense:

2manycars
05-20-10, 02:31 PM
Went down to the body shop today to get some stuff out of the car. Estimate they submitted to fix the car was $13.5, and my insuarance company accepted it :cookoo:. So I guess I'll be getting the car back in about 2 weeks :suspense:

Good For You!! :)

Check to make sure they are using OEM parts... so everything fits and looks just right... so it truly looks factory!! Very important. Sometimes your insurance company will try to force you to use aftermarket parts, so they can save the money - and sometimes the shop my try too, to make more money from the deal.

Now's the time to ask for any scratches or chips to be fixed, since the majority of the car is getting new paint. Most shops will include that for no charge... as they want it to look good when done also. You may consider a wait4me PCM instead of the stock one... not sure but am thinking they will be close to the same price, so you should not have much or anything in it. Hopefully a free mod/ upgrade for all your trouble. ;)

If your headlights are showing weathering, sure would be cool if you are getting new ones. Don't let them do just one new if they are trying to... that would look uneven. Not sure how much you could fight this though, if they are thinking just one. They looked OK in your photos... so this is probably a non issue.

If you have to have a front license plate in your state, might consider Creative Steel's new front mount, because your new front bumper will come from the factory without the holes in it... which is cool.

Last but not least, make sure that when they check the frame to make sure that it is straight - that it truly is, or is fixed perfectly! The car needs to be straight, to drive like it did from the factory. If you question the integrity, or the quality of the work of the shop, seek out another.

TroyFleming
05-20-10, 03:10 PM
For $13,500 you damn well better be getting all new parts. Your hit is truthfully not that bad. I have rebuilt a bunch of these. If it was me I would take a lower buyout and sell the car or take a buyout and fix it with the right shop, while able to add parts with saved money.

thebigjimsho
05-27-10, 07:17 PM
For $13,500 you damn well better be getting all new parts. Your hit is truthfully not that bad. I have rebuilt a bunch of these. If it was me I would take a lower buyout and sell the car or take a buyout and fix it with the right shop, while able to add parts with saved money.
+1 :bomb: