: Spare Tire Fit

mschlott
05-16-10, 09:13 AM
I've bought the parts I need to mount my spare tire and a wheel without a tire. I went to put it in yesterday and everything fit till I went to put the cover on.

I have see mixed reports of guys being able to get the cover on or not. My wheel is face down and no matter how I slide it around I can't get the cover to go down all the way. It is mainly lifted towards the rear of the car.

Are all of the covers the same? Mine is a 2005 and is made of a molded plastic with rings molded in that look like they are meant to line up against a spare tire.

Am I missing something? If necessary I can make a custom cover if I can find the right carpet to cover the board. If I have to make a cover, does anyone know how to get the right carpet for the trunk?

For those who have previously said they got their cover to fit. Did it really go down all the way?

mike

Houdini
05-16-10, 10:56 AM
In my 07 with my wheel facing down I am able to get the cover on and screw on the retaining circle. The edges of the cover do stick up a little bit (not totally flush with trunk floor).

Paisan
05-16-10, 11:30 AM
I have an 05 and use the stock cover just pulled out the plastic thing. I had a BFG All-season tire on my spare and it fits nicely. With my BFG KDW, it sticks up a bit. So it really depends on the true tread width of the spare tire.

-mike

Twitch
05-16-10, 07:46 PM
I waited till I found a used Mille. They are 8". With a 225 tire, it fits with a little extra room.

AAIIIC
05-16-10, 08:20 PM
I have a 225/50-18 on an 18x8" Mille Miglia wheel and the cover still doesn't sit flush with the trunk floor. I would say it's 1/4 - 1/2" higher than the trunk floor. It's a little bit better than it was with that same tire mounted on a beat-up stock wheel, but only a little bit.

mschlott
05-16-10, 11:36 PM
OK, thanks guys. I'll live with it the way it is untill a narrow wheel with a tire on it shows up in my garage. Some times I'm just too anal about the little things and forget to enjoy life.

mike

AAIIIC
11-23-10, 10:12 AM
On a somewhat related note, I happened across this deal on Ebay the other day. $56 shipped for an 18x8" SRX wheel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-CADILLAC-SRX-Wheel-18x8-7-spoke-polished-opt-QF-/110610099694?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c0e02dee). I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the offset is on those wheels, but from what I've gathered the SRX wheels are in the same ballpark as the V wheels, so I think it should be close enough to use as a spare. Then again, I don't know if the spokes would clear the V's calipers. Anyone ever tried one of the SRX wheels just to see if they would fit?

Assuming the wheel clears the Brembos this could be a great option for guys looking for cheap spares. Most of them on Ebay aren't listed with a price this low, but there's certainly no shortage of SRXs in junkyards, and it seems like most of them have/had the 18" wheels on them.

Aurora40
11-23-10, 10:33 AM
On a somewhat related note, I happened across this deal on Ebay the other day. $56 shipped for an 18x8" SRX wheel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-CADILLAC-SRX-Wheel-18x8-7-spoke-polished-opt-QF-/110610099694?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c0e02dee). I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the offset is on those wheels, but from what I've gathered the SRX wheels are in the same ballpark as the V wheels, so I think it should be close enough to use as a spare. Then again, I don't know if the spokes would clear the V's calipers. Anyone ever tried one of the SRX wheels just to see if they would fit?

Assuming the wheel clears the Brembos this could be a great option for guys looking for cheap spares. Most of them on Ebay aren't listed with a price this low, but there's certainly no shortage of SRXs in junkyards, and it seems like most of them have/had the 18" wheels on them.
Offsets are 51mm vs 42mm for the V: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2010/363226-do-srx-18-rims-fit-cts-v.html

Like you said, also unknown is the spoke clearance compared to the V wheels. They might be chunkier on the SRX since there would have been no need to maximize the clearance.

If a small spacer did the trick, it would probably make a great spare wheel.

Twitch
11-23-10, 04:29 PM
I have a 225/50-18 on an 18x8" Mille Miglia wheel and the cover still doesn't sit flush with the trunk floor. I would say it's 1/4 - 1/2" higher than the trunk floor. It's a little bit better than it was with that same tire mounted on a beat-up stock wheel, but only a little bit.
I wonder if some trunks are different than others. I also have a Mille (did I get it from you???) with a 225 tire on it. With a couple layers of sound deadening under it, it still has some room before touching the cover.
Weird :suspense:

Had a set of 18" Milles off an SRX. They were so cheap, I thought it was worth the risk. They do not fit over the Brembos.

Tony