: '79 Fleetwood rear air suspension

Garys
05-15-10, 11:25 PM
The rear air leveling on my 1979 FWB is not working. It appears to not have any power going to it. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks! :hmm:

MudAnt
05-16-10, 01:04 AM
Fuse?

pompste
05-16-10, 02:59 AM
The rear air leveling on my 1979 FWB is not working. It appears to not have any power going to it. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks! :hmm:

Check fuse and electrical connection to the air ride pump first.Unplug electrical connection to air ride pump and check to see for dirty contacts.

carnut
05-19-10, 03:23 PM
Look closely at the wires that plug into the compressor under hood. You should see one wire just dangling in that harness, I believe it has a green plastic connector on it. Thats the TEST lead that if jumpered to the positive battery post will turn on the compressor. That then confirms compressor is ok. Look under the car at one of the rear axle trailing arms. You should see a rod about the diameter of a pencil that is connected to a level ride sensor mounted to the frame. That rod simply snaps off the ball socket on the trailing arm. Turn the ignit key to run, key on, car off. then move that arm straight up. Within 20 seconds, you should hear the underhood pump run. If so, you have an air leak somewhere in the plastic hoses or the shocks are leaking. With a car that old leaking shocks would not be a surprise!!

carnut
05-19-10, 04:16 PM
I've seen previous owners install aftermarket air shocks and instead of plumbing it into the factory air supply lines, they run the lines to a filler at the rear bumper so look for that as well.

77CDV
05-19-10, 07:44 PM
^ I did that to my '69. The compressor and all was shot and I really wasn't in the mood to mess with it. Maybe one day, I'll rebuild the ALC.