: Shopping for a 2006 CTS-V, what should I look out for?

0AT E03
05-13-10, 07:40 PM
I am in the market for a 2006 CTS-V. I am hoping to find one in the 40k-50k miles range. The questions I have are what are common issues I should watch out for, I know the 2004's and 2005's have the older more troublesome differential so that shouldn't be a problem. The 2006 is the first year of the LS2, which I know isn't as exclusive as the LS6 and thus I would think easier (and cheaper) to fix should something go wrong.

This car would be my daily driver, and my sole car in the winter. I do live in Michigan and yes we have snow, but I see plenty of 350 HP Automatic RWD cars on the roads here (Mustangs, Chargers, 300's, Magnums, etc..) and I think I can handle the 400 HP with a manual and some all season tires. I may need to borrow the SUV on days where the snow gets deep, but that's maybe 10 days a year.

I know pretty much everything is standard so other than colors the cars don't have much variety, which is fine with me. No good iPod integration is a downer, but I'll live.

Anyway, that's my story, and I look forward to any insight the members of the forum can provide.

Driven2slow
05-13-10, 09:04 PM
What you should be looking at is mine :)

If you're one of the people I talked to, I made a payment today so I can knock off another $500 off the price I gave you.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=279151735&dealer_id=65264767

bjv
05-13-10, 09:06 PM
Get a warranty if possible.

Check the motor mounts, transmission mounts, differential bushings.

Get the right color! (Of course everybody here will tell you that THEIR color is the right color, so really you're on your own.)

jrosevear
05-13-10, 09:49 PM
Can someone give me a quick idea of what the symptoms are when the motor/trans mounts are going bad in these cars?

0AT E03
05-13-10, 10:09 PM
Get a warranty if possible.

Check the motor mounts, transmission mounts, differential bushings.

Get the right color! (Of course everybody here will tell you that THEIR color is the right color, so really you're on your own.)

Color is actually something I am indifferent on. Silver, Black, Gray, Red all look nice. I'd prefer Ebony on the interior, but I'd accept Cashmere since the dash is still Black.

However I will make a note to look at the drive line mounts and bushings.

c4ss
05-14-10, 12:14 AM
Can someone give me a quick idea of what the symptoms are when the motor/trans mounts are going bad in these cars?

A dieseling down, or shaking when you turn the car off. A visual inspection will also help. Look for liquid coming out of them. Whether they are good or bad, replace them with Creative Steel Motor Mounts and trans mount. Good luck.

0AT E03
05-14-10, 08:18 AM

If you're one of the people I talked to, I made a payment today so I can knock off another $500 off the price I gave you.

Very nice! However I am looking for something with a touch less in the mileage department. If it's still around in September I might be calling you though, because I really don't want to go out of state for a car and you've got the Corsa Exhaust (which I want to put on it anyway).

Baltimore07V
05-14-10, 10:13 AM
You should look out for slow cars in front of you, ruining your fun! :thumbsup:

But yeah what they said above me.

rand49er
05-15-10, 09:20 AM

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=279151735&dealer_id=65264767 DUH! I finally connected up that that's your ad!

Car looks nice, btw. :thumbsup:

Driven2slow
05-15-10, 09:04 PM
DUH! I finally connected up that that's your ad!

Car looks nice, btw. :thumbsup:

I've only whored out the first picture like a thousand times :)
Im looking at buying a house so I wanna see if i can sell it. I dont need to sell it but it would be nice to have extra money to spend on the house.

rand49er
05-15-10, 09:28 PM
I've only whored out the first picture like a thousand times :)
Im looking at buying a house so I wanna see if i can sell it. I dont need to sell it but it would be nice to have extra money to spend on the house.There's no such thing as a bad deal in Michigan right now. Whatever you do, treat it like a business deal and DON'T get emotionally involved with the house. Deal hard. Throw a low offer at something ... it just may stick. Play it tough so you can keep your car. :sneaky:

Driven2slow
05-15-10, 09:49 PM
There's no such thing as a bad deal in Michigan right now. Whatever you do, treat it like a business deal and DON'T get emotionally involved with the house. Deal hard. Throw a low offer at something ... it just may stick. Play it tough so you can keep your car. :sneaky:

Michigan is a bargin for buying houses. A friend of mine is a realtor and he showed me a list of crazy deals, you would not believe what some of these houses are going for. A few 5000+ sqft, million dollar houses went for $250,00. 5 to 10 acre lands for no more than $50,000, and thats near the city.

0AT E03
05-18-10, 08:20 AM
I've looked into some things and since I'll be driving this in the winter I am going to be buying a set of all-season tires for whatever car I finally buy. That means I need to buy a spare, and get a 5th tire. I'd also need to find a jack. From what I understand I can take a stock rim, throw on a 5th tire, place it upside down in the rear, and get a small jack to put in the middle.

Outside of that I can't think of anything above and beyond what comes on the car that I'd have to buy.

rand49er
05-18-10, 09:11 AM
... That means I need to buy a spare, and get a 5th tire. I'd also need to find a jack. From what I understand I can take a stock rim, throw on a 5th tire, place it upside down in the rear, and get a small jack to put in the middle. ...Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. He'll set you up with a "kit" that'll fit perfectly in the depression of the trunk. :thumbsup: