: Engine removal - can't get engine separated from transmission

KHE
05-13-10, 08:58 AM
I am unable to get the engine separated from the trans. on a '97 STS - I haven't had this problem in the past. Before, I just lifted the engine slightly with an engine hoist and jiggled it sideways and it separated. I removed the front motor mount to see if that would help but it didn't. There's no good place to pry either. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I sprayed penetrating oil along the seam last night to see if that would help. Thanks!

tateos
05-13-10, 02:51 PM
I had this problem too...and I was the problem. Stupid me, I thought the flywheel was held onto the torque converter with 3 bolts, like I have always seen before. Nope - it's 4 bolts! Not sure if that is your problem, but I mention it, just in case.

KHE
05-13-10, 04:23 PM
Nope - I removed 4 bolts from the flywheel. I have never had one that was so stubborn. Even though I followed the service manual steps to the letter, I'm going to check to see if I missed a bracket underneath. It just seems too locked together to be corrosion in the dowels.

KHE
05-14-10, 12:39 AM
The engine is out! The problem was a bolt fastening the passenger rear engine to transmission support. Once that was removed, the engine separated from the trans. without incident.

bigds01
05-16-10, 02:35 PM
The engine is out! The problem was a bolt fastening the passenger rear engine to transmission support. Once that was removed, the engine separated from the trans. without incident.

Where is that support? How did you get the oil cooler line off the back of the transmission?

cl1986
05-17-10, 01:19 AM
How did you get the oil cooler line off the back of the transmission?

LOL, that line didnt come off either of my trannies, i tried on one but it started to buckle so i quit. You have to rotate the line along with the wrech i believe, not sure why its so stubborn

KHE
05-18-10, 01:22 PM
The bracket was from the rear head to the transaxle. One bolt at the top. I missed it when I disconnected everything and it kept the engine from separating from the transaxle.

I removed the engine from the topside so I did not need to mess with the line in question on the transaxle.