: Theres gotta be an easier way.

Driven2slow
05-13-10, 12:33 AM
Damn these wheels. I have to clean them every other day. There has got to be an easier way to keep brake dust off. I spent an hour and a half cleaning all four today. Lately ive been downshifting to reduce brake usage but thats killing me on gas.

Is there a type of wax or sealent to protect the wheels? I have the gm accessory wheels.

ccclarke
05-13-10, 12:40 AM
There is.

Consider Rejex; the Army uses it on its helicopter tail booms to keep exhaust residue from building up, saving countless hours of cleaning time. I apply it twice a year and it knocks the brake dust down considerably (75%) from the wheels and sides of my car. Shine-wise, it's okay, but I use Zaino for the car's exterior and save the Rejex for the wheels. You can switch pads as well.

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

CC

Driven2slow
05-13-10, 01:14 AM
Thanks, I will try it. I wonder if its safe for polished wheels?

heavymetals
05-13-10, 01:19 AM
You should have been here about 6 years ago (has it been that long?).

One guy had the "clean wheel bug" so bad he was taking the wheels off and cleaning them DAILY!:eek:

deedubb
05-13-10, 03:17 AM
You should have been here about 6 years ago (has it been that long?).

One guy had the "clean wheel bug" so bad he was taking the wheels off and cleaning them DAILY!:eek:

:cookoo: That's craziness.

PISNUOFF
05-13-10, 06:25 AM
Mine are powdercoated black and the fronts are dirty after 20 min of driving. I would think you'd get better fuel mileage since the fuel shuts of completely on decel while in gear and the PCM keeps the motor idling while not in gear.

rand49er
05-13-10, 07:16 AM
What brake pads do you have? The stockers produce a lot of dust. Get one of the HP sets ... less dust, and it's a lighter color ... call Luke ... he'll fix you up. Takes way under an hour to swap all four sets of pads out, that includes washing your hands when you're done.

I've used Rejex more than once. I suppose it works somewhat, but it's not dramatic. Dang dust still needs rubbed off. :mad2:

CadiBlk
05-13-10, 08:24 AM
HPS pads only require a wheel cleaning when the car needs cleaned. But I'd say their performance is far under stockers. I have been bashing their performance for sometime in all of the brake threads, but this morning I was able to lock up all 4 this morning in a phantom traffic jam that popped up. Not stocker performance, but dust control is a breeze now.

nmaier2201
05-13-10, 08:27 AM
I thought the Accessory wheels had a coating from the factory on them... to help protect the wheels from dust and pitting. No?

That doesn't help with keeping them clean or anything... but maybe you will be less worried about corrosive brake dust being on your pretty polished wheels....

I thought they had a coating.

Driven2slow
05-13-10, 11:02 AM
I thought the Accessory wheels had a coating from the factory on them... to help protect the wheels from dust and pitting. No?

That doesn't help with keeping them clean or anything... but maybe you will be less worried about corrosive brake dust being on your pretty polished wheels....

I thought they had a coating.

I think they have some type of coating on them because I can just wipe away the brake dust with my finger, but its still a pain in the ass.

Driven2slow
05-13-10, 11:03 AM
What brake pads do you have? The stockers produce a lot of dust. Get one of the HP sets ... less dust, and it's a lighter color ... call Luke ... he'll fix you up. Takes way under an hour to swap all four sets of pads out, that includes washing your hands when you're done.

I've used Rejex more than once. I suppose it works somewhat, but it's not dramatic. Dang dust still needs rubbed off. :mad2:

I dont wanna pay for new pads when the ones in there still have alot of life left in them.

bjv
05-13-10, 09:11 PM
My stock wheels (painted) seem pretty easy to clean. I have wondered about waxing them though.

I have a harder time cleaning the calipers. I feel like I need to jack up the car so I can turn the wheels and get better access to the calipers. I need to find a few little brushes that will fit behind the wheel spokes and help with this job.

HeavyH20
05-13-10, 09:26 PM
The stock Brembo's always dust like that. It is a symptom of high performance. If you are not hitting the track or running the car around corners at high speed, switching the pads out is the best option. I have used a similar spray from Eagle1 on my rims. It does not stop the dusting but it comes off easily in the drive through car wash without scrubbing.

I hate the brake dust as much as you :)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3129/wheelk.jpg

rand49er
05-13-10, 09:51 PM
The stock Brembo's always dust like that. It is a symptom of high performance. If you are not hitting the track or running the car around corners at high speed, switching the pads out is the best option. I have used a similar spray from Eagle1 on my rims. It does not stop the dusting but it comes off easily in the drive through car wash without scrubbing.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3129/wheelk.jpgThat is one clean looking wheel.

You might want to consider black center caps. I did it and love the look. :thumbsup:

Driven2slow
05-13-10, 10:03 PM

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3129/wheelk.jpg

That is one sexy clean wheel.

JimmyH
05-13-10, 11:30 PM
there's always a cost; if you want ultimate braking, you get ultimate brake dust