: DAMMIT JON...Now i want a V

ghettomike
05-12-10, 11:39 PM
First off JON THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
me and Gaetano were workin on our cts's and JON came by to show off his V.. that thing is clean, i have to tip my hat to him on that..personally i would powder coat the rims tho ;)
so since that day i cant get the V out of my head... usually when this starts i have a new car in under 6 months...which is about the time it takes to save a descent down payment.

i have a 03 lux sport, some may say the 03 isnt reliable but i must say in 2 years it has treated me fairly well with the exception of the dreaded tranny cooler line blowing off...but i knew it was going to happen i could have changed it but nope.. i was stubborn.

so im starting to save for the leap to a V, its going to take a little time to get a down payment and decided if ill trade in my 4x4 and use the 03 as a daily/winter or sell the 03 and keep the truck for winter... now the truck was in a bad accident 3 years ago and has a bent frame but is reliable as a rock.

so what are the benefits of each year cts-v? i really want the 6.0 mainly just to say i have the big engine but really what is the benefit over the 5.7? there is a 05 with 50-60km on it for $25 grand in Canada..not a bad deal and there is also one with 143km for 18grand. if i could get it for 15-16 i would grab it... if its in good shape.
the cheaper one is more reachable but i know it will be hard to sell in a year or 2 so i want to keep the mileage under 100km if possible...i no i say this now but i can see this being a summer car i keep for a long time.
gas mileage is not a concern to me considering my truck gets 12-14mpg on a good day lol. the V will be my daily for 6 months a year...if i get one.

what should i be looking out for? i read a thread about someone having a cam bolt issue, i know they have bushing problems here and there but hose are just rubber and easy cheap fixes. i guess my main concern is the engine and tranny... the diff will prob get swapped to a 2gV if it ever causes me any issues.

so you may find me learking around here more in the next few months, i dont know much about vettes...actually nothing....so ill need someone familiar with their engine to come inspect the one i consider, i may have a mechanic that will go with me for the ... but i am fairly good getting around the CTS body...when i install the parts i buy that is.

ahahnu
05-12-10, 11:44 PM
Jon's is one hell of a specimen. Good luck, everyone you talk to will tell you something different about the two motors.

The radiator / water pump could be an issue.

Radio buttons peeling.

There is a bunch. Manya poasts about them.

thebigjimsho
05-12-10, 11:54 PM
Please, Jon doesn't have a V and he doesn't post here anymore...

ghettomike
05-12-10, 11:55 PM
Jon's is one hell of a specimen. Good luck, everyone you talk to will tell you something different about the two motors.

The radiator / water pump could be an issue.

Radio buttons peeling.

There is a bunch. Manya poasts about them.

rad and water pump i dont see as major issues as long as they are repairable.
radio buttons.. ya thats just a GM thing lol....however my 03 with 150km on her has mint radio buttons.
what im more concerned with is oil burning, blowing engines that are naturally aspirated, leaks, ticking stuff like that... but from what i have heard these engines are fairly reliable... as they are GMs top of the line basically.. hows the trannys and what is the lifespan of a cluch on a V? basically its the big stuff that i want to know about.

ghettomike
05-13-10, 12:00 AM
Please, Jon doesn't have a V and he doesn't post here anymore...

JON from canada... i have a pic of me him and Gaetano with our cars from a couple weeks ago.
post 398 on page 27
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/184201-post-your-best-pics-your-cts-27.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/58010d1272398606-post-your-best-pics-your-cts-ccaddddies.jpg

ahahnu
05-13-10, 12:00 AM
I am at 107, gently broken in and fine on all of that. My clutch is starting to slip (I can't really tell).

ghettomike
05-13-10, 12:01 AM
I am at 107, gently broken in and fine on all of that. My clutch is starting to slip (I can't really tell).

107 miles or km?

ichpen
05-13-10, 12:09 AM
Welcome sir. You should drive by and see the bad side of mod hell or is that the filthy side of clean.. ah. anyway, good luck finding one. Having seen the car apart no less than 20 times in the last year I can probably help you out finding a decent used one if you're in the downtown area of T.O. Of course you'll be after one that doesn't need to be apart 20 times a year I suspect.

Who's this Jon guy? :)

tommy compton
05-13-10, 02:42 AM
rad and water pump i dont see as major issues as long as they are repairable.
radio buttons.. ya thats just a GM thing lol....however my 03 with 150km on her has mint radio buttons.
Actually the grey buttons on the 03-04 radio buttons are a different coating, stonger, and the buttons themselves are stronger, and black underneath. For some reason g.m cheaped out when they went to the black coating on the nav buttons. I still have an 03-04 base unit I plug into pull codes one my V

Sorry, way off topic.
Just get a V, even if you sell your cts you'll never look back. Just try and find one with a recently replaced (atleast after mid 08) rear diff so you know you have the latest, and best version.
Canadian dollar is good, it's prime time to find one. I've seen lots seliing on autotrader in Quebec, they must be bringing them up from the States.
Once you have a V you'll realize how little you care about rims, there are just too many other things to buy.

I can't believe Jons dad let him borrow the V

PISNUOFF
05-13-10, 07:35 AM
One thing indicative of LS motors that have been driven hard is a loud ticking/rattling sound coming from the bottom end. Not the top end as that is completely normal.

Plus - Jon consistently has the cleanest V I've ever seen.

rand49er
05-13-10, 08:04 AM
The 5.7 was made in St. Catharines. I believe the 6.0 was made in Tonawanda.

Does that make a difference? :canuck:

ghettomike
05-13-10, 08:56 AM
Rand49er - sure does! LoL
Ichpen- JON is his forum name(and real name lol) he's probably seen more in the cts section, he is tied in with OntarioCTS forum or section somehow.
I would greatly appreciate the help once I am ready to blow the bank, I just applied for a new job that pays double what I make now, interviews should b within a week..if I nail it there is a chance I get one sooner than expected. Ill most likely have to say goodbye to my 03 beauty but I have a lot of people asking me for it(though I think they want a handout lol)
My mom wants it, my gf wants it I think, and a few friends want it...so if it does go it won't be far. They all know how well I take care of it and never skimp on a single service. I go with pay now save later theroy.
PISSINUOFF- doesn't that mean they all will make the tick noise? Its painfully obvious almost every V has been spanked more than a stripper lol
Will this cause any future issues? I don't want to buy one that has issues.

Any other common issues? How is the electrical on these? mine has been fairly good with the exception of me breaking the alarm and the steering position sensor that I just unplugged lol

PISNUOFF
05-13-10, 09:21 AM
The occaisional spanking won't hurt it. It's the constant high rpms from continuous beatings, like road coarse stuff. I'll admit that mine makes a ton of bottom end noise, but I don't plan on selling it to anyone and when it gets much worse there will be a forged stroker kit going in.

You won't want to just unplug the steering position sensor on a V because you won't be able to turn off the stability control.

ghettomike
05-13-10, 09:43 AM
I thought both cars use the same sensor? On mine with the sensor unplugged the stability system is always disabled, I get a message on the display"service stability system" every time I fire up the car. Now I do have a bran new sensor just haven't had time to have it replaced..its been sitting in a box for about a year lol

PISNUOFF
05-13-10, 10:29 AM
Competition Mode won't be available. I never use comp mode anyhow, except on the track.

Jon
05-13-10, 01:24 PM
:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric: It was my plan all along! lol

Sorry, been away for a few days.

ahahnu
05-13-10, 01:26 PM
^^^^ I hardly see you around anymore. Or those pictures.

107,000 miles

Jon
05-13-10, 01:29 PM
^^^^ I hardly see you around anymore. Or those pictures.

107,000 miles

Life's just been so damn busy.

Plus now I've been doing mods that don't show up in pictures :D

Maybe I should get a cowl hood, then I can go nuts with the camera again :D

Jon
05-13-10, 01:29 PM
I can't believe Jons dad let him borrow the V

Say what now?

ghettomike
05-13-10, 02:15 PM
Took you long enough to show up in a thread with your name In the title.
I figure if I just buy my own V I won't have to get parts off yours to fix my 03 lol
Although a stock body white diamond 03 with a Vdriveline and suspension setup would be badass... :)

Pissoff- I didn't know there was competition mode, just figured there was on or off like the 03 but that makes sence for an additional mode.

tommy compton
05-13-10, 02:15 PM
Say what now?

:duck:

ghettomike
05-13-10, 02:19 PM
:duck:
I actually thought I read in a thread it was his dads too but that was over a year ago, it must have been he put his V parts on his dads v6, I asked jon and its his....luckey basterd...but u know the nerve of him, he tried to bring his exploror to our cts repair day....if he would have it would have saved my bank from a future balance of $0

ghettomike
05-13-10, 02:21 PM
Life's just been so damn busy.

Maybe I should get a cowl hood, then I can go nuts with the camera again :D
Get the hood and powdercoat the rims, it would look sick with that black mesh grill.

Jon
05-13-10, 03:25 PM
I actually thought I read in a thread it was his dads too but that was over a year ago, it must have been he put his V parts on his dads v6, I asked jon and its his....luckey basterd...but u know the nerve of him, he tried to bring his exploror to our cts repair day....if he would have it would have saved my bank from a future balance of $0

The V6 CTS is my dad's DD.

Get the hood and powdercoat the rims, it would look sick with that black mesh grill.

Might get the hood, but definite no to powdercoating the rims :thehand:

ghettomike
05-13-10, 08:59 PM
Jon i meant you sways and stuff like that ended up on his car. your V looks CLEANNNN

there isnt that many for sale in quebec or ontario area... out west there is a few but i dont feel like doing a couple day drive, im sure ill be able to find one around here.. hopefully stock or lightly modded

on second thought dont do your rims, because ill most likely be doing mine lol

ahahnu
05-13-10, 09:15 PM

No pics of install or how to? :tisk:

Jon
05-13-10, 09:29 PM
No pics of install or how to? :tisk:

I wussed out... Having someone install the cam lol.

And I was in no mood to take pictures while swapping out my rear diff bushing. Had to saw the damn thing out :banghead:

ghettomike
05-14-10, 01:39 AM
Jon how well do you know the ctsv and what to keep a eye out for on them as problems?
im ok with mechanical but this engine im lost with...im really worried i buy one and it got a engine or tranny issue.

one thing is for sure whatever one i get has to be 100% original body...spotting body repairs for me is easy, my 03 is all original paint except i had my grill painted to match.

what are the stock wheel sizes on the V? is there a 18 and a 19 option?

CTSV_Rob
05-14-10, 02:20 AM
Might get the hood, but definite no to powdercoating the rims :thehand:
Good to see you posting Jon.

Funny, I got a couple of dings on the hood and was thinking of either a Heat Displacement or a cowl style hood, still lhaven't decided.

Jon how well do you know the ctsv and what to keep a eye out for on them as problems?
im ok with mechanical but this engine im lost with...im really worried i buy one and it got a engine or tranny issue.

one thing is for sure whatever one i get has to be 100% original body...spotting body repairs for me is easy, my 03 is all original paint except i had my grill painted to match.

Engine and trans are solid, it's the rear you need to worry about. BTW, you won't regret a lightened flywheel in one of these sexy pigs.

18's are stock, no 19" factory option. You couldn't put a wheel smaller than 18's on the V, only about 6mm between the rear brake caliper and the inside of the wheel.

I got 19" polished SP600 CCW's, love 'em.

thebigjimsho
05-14-10, 02:51 AM
Jon hates this place now...

ghettomike
05-14-10, 10:49 AM

Funny, I got a couple of dings on the hood and was thinking of either a Heat Displacement or a cowl style hood, still lhaven't decided.

Engine and trans are solid, it's the rear you need to worry about. BTW, you won't regret a lightened flywheel in one of these sexy pigs.

18's are stock, no 19" factory option. You couldn't put a wheel smaller than 18's on the V, only about 6mm between the rear brake caliper and the inside of the wheel.

I got 19" polished SP600 CCW's, love 'em.

i know a lot of you guys dont like 20s on the V but every time i say im keepin it stock it ends up on 20s, i had 17, and 18 on my 03 and hated them both, went back to a 20 and that is just what i like driving on...no way would i go under a 18... maybe go with 19 but i guess time will tell based on what i find.

im well aware of the weak diff, somehow mine is still on its original and whisper quiet...just luck of the draw i guess.

thanks for the input and the reassurance of the engine and tranny... i realize it is a vette engine and it is built tough but you never know..if the engine and tranny are solid om not really worried.

as for the flywheel, ive only helped change a clutch once so i would have to take it in to do that..and that is big$ so it would be about a year after i buy it before i do that and upgrade the clutch...ive heard that aftermarket is the way to go on the v so it shifts smoother.
i know a guy through work who had a guy build him a monster of a C5 maybe i can get a little help from him as well....i think he put twin turbos on it and he is looking around the 900hp mark..but it been in the works for over a year and i havent seen it...but this guy i trust that it is real.

tommy compton
05-14-10, 12:19 PM
Trust me when you/if you get a V you'll look for rims, then give up. There are virtually no mass produced 20" rims for the V, you might find one or two like foose speedster(ugly), or thos TIS rims that everybody runs on the CTS forum. Both don't suit the V and any mass produced cast rim is going to weigh a ton and rob you of performace. The only way to go is forged,
a couple dollar more and you can get a supercharger. Hmmm what would you rather spend the money on? 100 extra hp or looks?
If you plan on lowering you V, 20"s won't fit so good, it's 1/4" lower than the CTS already, so unless you want to run 30 series tires it's a no go.
If you want to look like a haywagon on 20"s, then you don't have to lower your V, or you can spend 2k on ground control to make it look proper on 20"s.
But don't just slap on rims for rims sake, you need to go wider in the rear, so new trailing arms are in order too, so by the time you are said and done you need proper tires, forged 20"s, trailing arms, ground control, or you could take that money and put it towards performance and worry about rims later.
Trust me if you don't have unlimited funds, by the time you spend money on other things you won't have cash left for rims for awhile.
I came in here thinking the same way, powder coat your rims and call it a day. Buy all the stuff you V needs, like shifter, axles, tune, engine and trans mount, then worry about rims when you have extra cash.

The engine in this car is a joy to work on compared to the V6, everything is where it is supposed to be, buy a shop manual and you will learn fast.

Jon
05-14-10, 12:57 PM

I know it pretty well and as far as the engine goes it's pretty much bulletproof. The problems are the drivetrain.

Jon
05-14-10, 12:58 PM

Hi Rob! :)

CTSV_Rob
05-14-10, 07:09 PM
i know a lot of you guys dont like 20s on the V but every time i say im keepin it stock it ends up on 20s, i had 17, and 18 on my 03 and hated them both, went back to a 20 and that is just what i like driving on...no way would i go under a 18... maybe go with 19 but i guess time will tell based on what i find.

im well aware of the weak diff, somehow mine is still on its original and whisper quiet...just luck of the draw i guess.

thanks for the input and the reassurance of the engine and tranny... i realize it is a vette engine and it is built tough but you never know..if the engine and tranny are solid om not really worried.

as for the flywheel, ive only helped change a clutch once so i would have to take it in to do that..and that is big$ so it would be about a year after i buy it before i do that and upgrade the clutch...ive heard that aftermarket is the way to go on the v so it shifts smoother.
i know a guy through work who had a guy build him a monster of a C5 maybe i can get a little help from him as well....i think he put twin turbos on it and he is looking around the 900hp mark..but it been in the works for over a year and i havent seen it...but this guy i trust that it is real.
A couple of the best Mods I did were a set of track tires and pads. This car is a kick on a road course. Mine has seen Buttonwillow, Infineon (AKA Sear point), and CA raceway. I plan to have my V up at Thunderhill in October. All I have for go fast mods are the Headers, Cat Back (I know, doesn't give you much if any power), and a tune. The lightened flywheel is probably one of my favorite mods.

The 18" wheels look right on this car and I agree, put the money into the shifter, performance mods, anti wheephop crap... And you will enjoy the car much more. I had a pebble scatch the inside of the back left wheel between the caliper and the wheel and thats when those wheels became my track wheels and I installed the SP 600's. Oh yeah, 275's on the back with the wider wheel.

Always good to find someone you can trust and post some pics of the engine compartment on the Vette!!!

CTSV_Rob
05-14-10, 07:10 PM
Hi Rob! :)
Hey Jon!

So which hood are you thinking of getting?? (inquiring minds and all that...:D)

Jon
05-14-10, 07:52 PM
Hey Jon!

So which hood are you thinking of getting?? (inquiring minds and all that...:D)
Hehe I like the Spectre powerdome hood but the Extreme Composites one looks the same and is a few hundred cheaper... It'll be one or the other

CTSV_Rob
05-14-10, 09:53 PM
Extreme Composites is still selling hoods for the caddy? Good to hear.

I am going to check and see if they have any other options.

tommy compton
05-15-10, 12:58 AM
extreme composites is a cool hood too, but it doesn't have the center line the powerdome hood has, or key holes for the washer nozzles. I can't speak from experience for the EC hood, but have read it needs lots of prep before paint making the end cost close to the SW hood anyway. The SW hood just needs a light sand and paint.

Flavoade
05-15-10, 05:43 AM
Mike. Make your first mod a Ram-Air system.