: Stock Brakes

MVP
05-12-10, 03:00 PM
Time for brake replacement.....how much do the dealers charge? I just made an appointment and he wouldn't tell me how much until he saw what needed to be done. he did say to turn the rotors and new pads are 390 an axle:cookoo:
So 780 for all if i don't get new rotors. Does this sound right?
How much for just the parts? If i got someone to help me do it?

whisler151
05-12-10, 03:40 PM
I did it myself and saved a lot. I brought the rotors to my local brake shop and they turned them for $15ea. I then spent $75 on Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads and installed them while I was in there.

$390/axle sounds high...even for a dealer.

c4ss
05-12-10, 03:46 PM
What a ripoff. Guess that's why they call it the stealer!

mberisha
05-12-10, 04:17 PM
Not sure if you still have a warranty....but I had ALL 4 rotors replaced under warranty because of a bad pulse. According to the dealership....they would have charged about $350 a rotor?!?!?! WOW!

Anyways....all I had to pay was the labor and the pads...about $350 for all four when it was all said and done.

Good luck....

rjoffe
05-12-10, 05:32 PM
1. You should be able to get all the parts (OEM) you need for about $500. Call Luke at Lindsay and he will get you the exact prices. That includes brand new rotors and pads. Or you can go ebay, I saw some cheap sets for f&R rotors and pads for $325.

2. You really really should be able to do this work yourself. I'm out by Dulles airport, and I would offer for you to bring the car and parts down, and we can do it in my place in a few hours easily.

thebigjimsho
05-12-10, 11:32 PM
Unless you have a ton of miles, the rear rotors should be fine. I have over 60k miles on the original rears with a bunch of autocrosses and track days. The fronts were replaced at about 50k miles. Don't turn the fronts. It takes very, very little mechanical prowess to change front pads and rotors and it would take a good mechanic less than 30 minutes to change...both sides...

MVP
05-13-10, 12:54 PM
1. You should be able to get all the parts (OEM) you need for about $500. Call Luke at Lindsay and he will get you the exact prices. That includes brand new rotors and pads. Or you can go ebay, I saw some cheap sets for f&R rotors and pads for $325.

2. You really really should be able to do this work yourself. I'm out by Dulles airport, and I would offer for you to bring the car and parts down, and we can do it in my place in a few hours easily.

I will call Luke and may take you up on your offer. What kind of beer do you like?:D

MVP
05-13-10, 03:11 PM
Unless you have a ton of miles, the rear rotors should be fine. I have over 60k miles on the original rears with a bunch of autocrosses and track days. The fronts were replaced at about 50k miles. Don't turn the fronts. It takes very, very little mechanical prowess to change front pads and rotors and it would take a good mechanic less than 30 minutes to change...both sides...

I am approaching 60K miles. Do I need to turn the rear rotors if I change the pads? Or do you think the pads are probably ok. This is my daily driver no track days.

thebigjimsho
05-14-10, 02:38 AM
The pads may need changing in back, but I'd doubt it. As for turning rotors, I doubt you'd need it.