: 96 deville cant find ect sensor

96cadiman
05-11-10, 08:44 PM
Hello I am having some car issues. Mostly it takes quite a few cranks to get the engine to turn over , but also has been using a lot of gas. I am thinking it is the fuel pressure regulator but my local auto guy says it could also be the ect sensor since I am getting bad gas mileage. He said the ect was a good place to start and at 20 bucks I figure why not. The problem is I can not find it in the car. Does anyone have a good pic? Thanks Dan

Ranger
05-11-10, 09:23 PM
No, the first place to start is the FPR. Just pull the vacuum hose off at idle and if any fuel is present at the nipple, replace it.

Now keep in mind when I say this that we are talking about a sidewinder (transverse mounted engine). The ECT sensor is on the rear of the right cylinder head. Hint: It's facing the drivers side fender.

96cadiman
05-11-10, 09:53 PM
Thanks Ranger , I pulled the hose and sure enough I have fuel in the nipple. when I first suggested the FPR to the auto store he told me he would be careful pulling the FPR because if it is coded wrong the car won't start. This is our only car and I would hate to be stranded. Is there a coding issue with this part or something in particular I should watch out for when replacing it? Thanks for any info you can throw my way.
Dan

Ranger
05-11-10, 10:19 PM
Coding issue? Never heard of any such thing. The FPR is strictly mechanical. No electronics involved, so I don't understand this "coding". Just be sure to relieve the fuel pressure in the rail before you pull it. Watch the positions of the 2 O rings to be sure you reinstall them correctly. They will also want to know if your car has had the fuel rail recall done (it should have) as the newer ones use a different retainer pin.

Submariner409
05-11-10, 10:27 PM
Yeah, that ^^^^ Nothing needed as far as "relearnng" anything - just replace the unit. $40 +/-

Either call Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac over there >>> tomorrow morning or get into www.rockauto.com.

Where are you ??? Maybe try www.gmpartsdirect.com (Flow Chevy/Cadillac, Winston-Salem, NC) or www.gmotors.com (Palm Chevy/Cadillac, Gainesville, FL)

Use the user CP up in the blue bar ^^^ and update your login with your car, year, mileage. It sure helps.

96cadiman
05-11-10, 10:49 PM
Thanks Ranger and Sub 409, Maybe he just wanted to try to get some bonus money by telling me it needed coded. I have had the recall put in place, by Clint Newell. Seems like that's when all my troubles started. Maybe they replaced it with a defective one or something. I think I will take back the ECT sensor and buy the FPR this weekend. I updated my profile thanks for the heads up.
Dan

tateos
05-13-10, 07:26 PM
'96 N* - 157K miles - original head gaskets, by any chance? Just curious....