: Buying a V in Florida - how to get it to where I am ?

repenttokyo
05-11-10, 10:14 AM
I am buying a V in Florida, and bringing it up to MA before ultimately taking it home to Canada for registration.

I have made a deposit on the car, but the vehicle has a lien on it, which means that in order to get the title I will have to pay the bank in full beforehand.

Problems are: this car was on ebay, but I made a deal off of ebay, meaning I am not protected by their policies. The seller has great feedback and has sold many cars, leading me to believe I can trust him. However, I am still mega-wary of sending so much cash to his bank via wire transfer with nothing to show for it and just relying on trust.

The other issue is transport. I can have the car transported to MA for around $700. I can also fly to FL for about 150 and drive it back. The issue is FL won't issue temp tags unless I pay state tax, and there is no way for me to recover that tax once the car is plated in Canada - it's just too complicated. Is it too risky to drive the car up the eastern seaboard with no plates? The car would of course be insured.

Any advice would be appreciated!

POS VETT
05-11-10, 11:05 AM
That's an extremely risky scenario. I would be more worried of getting the car at all or at the conditions mentioned than about driving it w/o a license plate. There are so many factors that any of these will create quite a headache.

1. This is basically "sight unseen". The car could have a rebuilt/salvage title. Did you have a PPI performed on it ? Are you prepared to spend the money to fly over, test drive/inspect the car and if it was a no go, fly back ?
2. The lien situation is complex when the seller is out of town. It gets even more complicated when the lien is somewhere else (you have to send the pay off through mail). There is no guarantee that the bank/financial institution would send the title to you. If it was sent to the seller, could you trust him to send it to you ? Very dicey.
3. Then there is the problem with transport. Driving it back w/o license plate **might be** doable with a proof of bill of sale or some other proof which I have no knowledge about. Putting it on an auto transport carries its own risk; unfortunately the trusted enclosed transports are expensive.

I cringe.

repenttokyo
05-11-10, 11:10 AM
The car has a clean title, and I have also run its warranty history through a Cadillac dealership, where it came up with all the right repairs and nothing excessive. I have not had a PPI on it. The seller has a good reputation on Ebay with these types of cars.

The seller is putting me in contact with his bank directly to work on the title transfer. There is the possibility of escrow between our two banks until the title can be sent to me.

I have a quote of around $700 for enclosed auto transport. A flight to FL for me would be in the neighborhood of $150 one way.

I have bought cars sight unseen before. I am considering going through Ebay's Second Chance bid program to protect me should the car turn out to have any hidden surprises.

Alternatively, if there are any V owners in the Jacksonville area who would like to help me out in inspecting this car, that would be amazing.

cvettr/cts-v
05-11-10, 11:49 AM
Hopefully a Jacksonville owner will step up for you to help inspect. But at that cheap rate to fly I would fly there and take the chance driving back with paperwork and no tags as they could verify your story on no temps issued without paying full sales tax. I bet you'd get off with a warning as long as you were not doing anything excessive or acting rudely. I bet you could arraing with the finance company to have the title sent to a local office in Jacksonville and complete the transaction with cashiers checks and get the lein released on the spot. They really have no risk as the most they would be out is sending the title back to where ever they keep them if you backed out. I have done this in the past and it has worked out fine for all parties. You could also call the highway patrol in each state and explain Florida's issue and see if one of the states would issue temp tags/driveaway plates or see what they suggest. I know in missouri you can on a bill of sale only drive from place of purchase to your home to the inspection center and to the license office and not get a ticket. Lastly take a plate off another vehicle you own and use it to get home and obey the laws and you'll probably never get pulled over. Lastly you could fly to florida get title at bank take possesion of car drive to transport compay and fly home and waith for the transport company to deliver but you have had your mind satisfied all will be well upon delivery.

Driven2slow
05-11-10, 12:07 PM
Thats risky. Is the guy a dealer? Is he going to mail you the title or bill of sale or some type of proof before you wire the money saying you will be paying that amount.

repenttokyo
05-11-10, 12:10 PM
Thats risky. Is the guy a dealer? Is he going to mail you the title or bill of sale or some type of proof before you wire the money saying you will be paying that amount.

i am in contact with the lien holder at his bank. he would prefer that the two banks work together to pay off the lien directly, instead of me sending him any money.

I am still waiting to hear further details from him today about how the lien can be taken care of, but I have all the information for the contact person at his bank, etc.

Driven2slow
05-11-10, 12:39 PM
i am in contact with the lien holder at his bank. he would prefer that the two banks work together to pay off the lien directly, instead of me sending him any money.

I am still waiting to hear further details from him today about how the lien can be taken care of, but I have all the information for the contact person at his bank, etc.

Do yo have a direct number to that rep at the bank? If so, than search the bank online, get their main number and call to ask for that rep. Just to be safe.

repenttokyo
05-11-10, 01:50 PM
Do yo have a direct number to that rep at the bank? If so, than search the bank online, get their main number and call to ask for that rep. Just to be safe.

yes I do :)

thanks for all the tips guys. it helps with a frustrating, long-distance transaction. the need for instant gratification is strong!

kjr6306
05-11-10, 03:58 PM
I just bought one off EBAY and it went fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330422419412&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Bought it through a dealer who was very accomodating and walking me through the entire process. Didn't have to pay sales tax as dealer put a temp 30 day tag on it. Had it shipped to Cleveland for 750.00. Expect to pay more than the quoted 700.00 for the shipping....transport brokers are all criminals!!! You may want to call the BMV in florida, explain your situation and see if you can get a temp tag without having to pay sales tax. I did not pay sales tax on my car and I just received the title yesterday. Best way for you to go may be to fly to florida and pay the seller for the car and drive it home. If DMV won't give you temp plate ask the seller if you can drive it home with his plates on it and then mail them back to him. With this scenario at least you have surveyed the car and know what you are buying prior to paying for it. When the bank is done clearing the title they can send it to you or the seller can mail it to you.

repenttokyo
05-11-10, 04:02 PM
I just bought one off EBAY and it went fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330422419412&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

that is an AMAZING deal.

just to be clear - you had the car sent to you ahead of the title?

c4ss
05-11-10, 04:27 PM
Look for a different car. This one seems to have too many strings attached to it. Not worth the risk IMO.

repenttokyo
05-11-10, 04:29 PM
Look for a different car. This one seems to have too many strings attached to it. Not worth the risk IMO.

i don't really see any strings attached aside from the lien - which isn't all that unusual when buying private party.

kjr6306
05-11-10, 05:27 PM
Yes I had the car for almost a month before the title finally was Fed Exed. I was able to drive the car with the temp tag. Sales tax should not be an issue for you since you don't live in the state of Florida...I have not paid tax yet. I will have to pay when I take title to Ohio BMV and get my plates and new title.

CadzillaTN
05-11-10, 05:52 PM
bought mine sight unseen on ebay from private owner...50+yr old dentist, not high risk. only problem i had was he wouldnt do a damn wire! too high technology...so i overnighted a check.. it was 900 miles away. i had it trucked in .. dont fall for the expedite upcharge or the "covered" otion. it isn't a ferrari. just make sure your car ins is activated. sans a grapefuit hail storm youll be ok.. i did pay for the top level ride (extra 150) just in case some hoopty was up top leaking fluids. no issues except a single one inch scratch on the trunklid but i was so happy i just let it ride..

i wll say.....the moment i sat in it and drove, i wish i had flown and driven it back despite what was then a $900 plane ticket vs 500 to truck it. gas price be damned, nothing beats a solo road trip in this car.

purchase- money is money, do your research and weigh the odds. obviously no money orders to jimbob at jims used cars, but if bank to bank, and you are insured, you should be ok. not many reputable ebay guys are going to toss that rep on one car, but that doesnt mean trust blindly...

+1 on a florida owner checking it out, that should make all the difference. id do it as lon as the drive wasnt more than 2 hrs or so. ill take any excuse to hit the highway!

JimmyH
05-11-10, 08:09 PM
I would fly down to FL, eat the tax, and drive it back. That way it is in your hands from the beginning.

But shouldn't you be able to get temporary plates from the Canadian dmv, or whatever their equivalent is? As long as you have the VIN number and an insurance policy, you can get a car registered in Illinois.

repenttokyo
05-11-10, 08:15 PM
But shouldn't you be able to get temporary plates from the Canadian dmv, or whatever their equivalent is?

unfortunately, no.

bjv
05-11-10, 09:14 PM
I would not finalize payment for the vehicle without seeing it in person and driving it, or at least having a reliable third party do that.

I would fly to FL, finalize payment, and drive the vehicle back.

I would try to work a deal with a FL dealer or maybe a CAN dealer for some dealer tags for the trip, and pay whatever it cost.

I had contemplated this before I bought my car. My wife had found one in Washington state. I thought it would be a great adventure to fly up there and spend a week driving the car back- stop at Yellowstone, Colorado, etc. That particular car sold before we made up our minds, and I found one at a local dealer.

AngryHog
05-11-10, 10:58 PM
I'm in Jacksonville and I found my 2006 V online. Wasn't eBay, but some major car site (don't remember). Got it mid-2008 with 24k miles on it for $25,900. I was pretty excited. I did a $300 deposit over the phone with the guy (used car dealer) and 6 days later, I was on a plane from Jacksonville, FL to Sacramento, CA. They picked me up at the airport, drove me the 30min or so to the dealer, gave me a test drive, then we did some paperwork. I was on the interstate headed home within an hour. California issues a 3-day, 1-way temporary registration. It was a half-sized piece of paper they stuck to the inside of my windshield (passenger's side). Had no tag on the car at all. And on a black car, that omission stands out. Well, a few hours into my drive, I look in the rearview and there's a Wyoming state trooper right on my ass in broad daylight, no one else around, so I know I'm getting pulled. I was doing 78 in a 70. He asked me where I was headed and I told him I had a 2800 mile drive, at which point he felt sorry for me and let me go. Next time I pulled off for gas, I got a cheapo radar detector at the local Wal-mart. I drove 19 hours a day, by myself, making the trip in 2.5 days. I didn't make any tourist stops, just drove. And I had a total blast. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

FYI, I wasn't allowed to take the car from California without paying their state sales tax (8.5%) and when I registered the car in Florida, I didn't have to pay their 7% because I had already paid more than that. Just showed them the paperwork. Was my first time further west than Alabama, my first time to California (although I didn't spend 2 hours in the state), and my longest roadtrip to date. One of the best experiences I've ever had. Beautiful scenery, some fun mountain roads, ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere at 11pm (I'll share that whole story some other day)....if you buy one out of state, fly to it, check it out, then drive it home. You won't regret it!

-AngryHog

c4ss
05-11-10, 11:53 PM
There is just nothing worse than a wire transfer in my opinion. I've heard too many horror stories. I avoid them like the plague.

repenttokyo
05-12-10, 12:09 AM
There is just nothing worse than a wire transfer in my opinion. I've heard too many horror stories. I avoid them like the plague.

I have bought cars with wire transfers before and had no issues - even with international wire transfers.

repenttokyo
05-12-10, 12:09 AM
I have arranged to go through Ebay, and will be protected by their buyer protection program. I have spoken with the line-holding credit union, and have a signed sales agreement in place. I will be going ahead with a wire transfer and will be having the car delivered - it is the option that makes the most sense for my situation at this time.

Ebay is pretty good about protecting buyers in situations like this, plus the seller has a long history of selling and delivering impeccable cars, so I am confident that things will go well. I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments in this thread.

ghettomike
05-12-10, 08:54 AM
So has anyone bought a car privatelly in usa and drove it to canada without any issues?
I'm starting to look at V's, I've had my 03 for 2 years now and its time to upgrade, eventhough I have only put 20miles on it lol
A forum member is selling one in chicago I want to check out if its still around when my funds come through..I would drive out with a friend and drive back in 2 cars. Or fly out and drive back with my gf.
It has to be a good enough deal, I found one in canada about 8hrs away with 60km (about 40miles?) 2005 for 26grand...not bad price for extended-local

cvettr/cts-v
05-12-10, 12:30 PM
You should ask ANGRYHOG to view and test drive for you since he is in jacksonville and maybe did not notice on the first page you asked for help from a jacksonville area resident to view for you.

AngryHog
05-12-10, 12:48 PM
I did see that, and wouldn't mind checking it out and giving it a once over, but somehow I thought I read that he bailed on the Florida one and was looking at another. I just reread the thread and don't see that anywhere so I guess I'm just dumb. ;)

But seriously, I don't mind. I've had mine for 2 years, put about 30,000 miles on it. I know them ok enough. Better than nothing. Of course, if you've already committed there's really no point since you're coming anyway. But if you want me to help, let me know.

Taking mine to the Tail of the Dragon next week. :)

-AngryHog

repenttokyo
05-12-10, 12:55 PM
I actually paid for the car this morning - thanks for your offer to go check it out, I do appreciate that. If I do need any additional help - I will be sure to be in touch.

This board has been a great resource to me during the purchase process.

cvettr/cts-v
05-12-10, 01:04 PM
That's what makes this a great place. People helping others get the right car for the right price and helping to avoid any issues. Best of luck with the purchase and props to Angryhog for the offer of time and help.

JimmyH
05-12-10, 04:13 PM
back to the OP, arent you buying this car from a guy who sells regularly on ebay? If so, I think alot of the concerns voiced here are for naught. If this guy sells cars for a living, he can hardly afford to sell a lemon, or rip someone off.

repenttokyo
05-12-10, 04:15 PM
back to the OP, arent you buying this car from a guy who sells regularly on ebay? If so, I think alot of the concerns voiced here are for naught. If this guy sells cars for a living, he can hardly afford to sell a lemon, or rip someone off.

yes, he sells regularly - not for a living, I don't think, but he does sell more than 10 cars per year on the site, with great feedback so far.

JimmyH
05-12-10, 04:28 PM
do you know anyone with a full size suv or pickup? you could rent a trailer and tow it back.

repenttokyo
05-12-10, 04:30 PM
my father has a tow rig with trailer, but it's an extremely long drive to go there and back - it makes more sense for me financially to work during that time than to take 4 days off, pay the fuel, etc. I am self employed and it is difficult for me to leave my business for such a length of time.

JimmyH
05-12-10, 04:34 PM
too bad; I know it's a long drive, but if you could afford the time off, there are worse things than a 2 day intermission in Florida :)