: Best Buy iPod direct connect

sthorn71
05-10-10, 06:23 PM
The Best Buy auto shop is telling me they have a direct connect solution for iPod and my 07 CTS V for $157 installed. Does anyone know about this? I haven't seen anything on the net about this at all.
Thanks,
Sam

sak_v
05-10-10, 06:35 PM
I have no idea.

Do you have any idea if they do bluetooth connection? I might have to go there myself to find out.

sthorn71
05-10-10, 06:57 PM
I lied I did just find something on the internet for this. They call it iSimple and it sounds like it's still using fm modulation but sounds much better. I think I might have already talked myself pout of this.

sak_v
05-10-10, 07:03 PM
I think this is what you mean

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16900_iSimple+ISGM73.html

deedubb
05-10-10, 08:22 PM
I think this is what you mean

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16900_iSimple+ISGM73.html
That doesn't look like it uses FM Modulation. I will never use FM modulation again, its junk. This may be a cool find. Can anyone confirm?

jrosevear
05-10-10, 10:08 PM
The description says it kills the CD changer AND XM. Wouldn't something like this be better?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9721_Scosche+AXIPCL2+-+AXIPCL2B.html

sak_v
05-11-10, 02:01 AM
thats better, but personally I think bluetooth is better. you can get a receiver for $30 and to the installation yourself. I want to try this soon.

vegasVowner
05-11-10, 02:02 AM
I ordered the Isimple last night cuz I'm having SQ problems with "cheap aux. input" solution. It doesnt use FM modulation and it needs to take place of an XM tuner or CD changer. Not sure if the CD changer option is available for us, but I only play CDs when I dont have an Ipod option. Also, you save $50, thats the difference between the two said items that sold me. I'll have it in by the end of next weekend and give a follow up on the piece.

jnrandall
05-11-10, 12:29 PM
The PAC adapter that I had installed 4 years ago just stopped working due to the fact that the connector broke. I shopped around for a week trying to get a replacement cable from the brain in the rear deck, to the ipod. No luck. I almost got the iSimple solution but I thought it only worked on certain GM vehicles and ours was not one of them. I remembered the FAQ article, http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud-noswitch/index.html, and had this done for $7.99. Works Perfectly!

vegasVowner
05-11-10, 04:40 PM
The PAC adapter that I had installed 4 years ago just stopped working due to the fact that the connector broke. I shopped around for a week trying to get a replacement cable from the brain in the rear deck, to the ipod. No luck. I almost got the iSimple solution but I thought it only worked on certain GM vehicles and ours was not one of them. I remembered the FAQ article, http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud-noswitch/index.html, and had this done for $7.99. Works Perfectly!

I did the cheap mod as well. Myself and a few others, have experienced some bad sound quality from the right (passenger side) stage. Do yourself a favor and check out the balance next time your in the car and make sure its ok SQ wise. Its hard to tell untill you isolate it. Hopefully yours works out though, good luck!

bjv
05-11-10, 10:18 PM
What about the PA11-Vette adapter? There are threads here from people that have used it. The adapter itself is $150 or so, I don't know what the installation would cost.

I have used an FM modulator in my car and it works reasonably well away from the big city. It would not work at all in our city because we now have no gaps in our FM band that I can find.

bjv
05-11-10, 10:22 PM
I wanted to add my BestBuy story-
My daughter had a JVC head unit in her car. She wanted an ipod connector so her buddy that worked at BestBuy arranged to get her a discount on the install. AFTER the installer finished he made a comment that "I don't know why you wanted this because they don't sound very good", and in fact it barely worked at all. She had not listened to my advice so I got on the net and bought her a JVC brand adapter made to work with her JVC had unit, told her to take it to BestBuy and make them take out their POS adapter and put in the JVC adapter. With the JVC adapter it sounds great.

jnrandall
05-11-10, 10:46 PM
I did the cheap mod as well. Myself and a few others, have experienced some bad sound quality from the right (passenger side) stage. Do yourself a favor and check out the balance next time your in the car and make sure its ok SQ wise. Its hard to tell untill you isolate it. Hopefully yours works out though, good luck!

Hey, you're right. But I only detect it when the speakers are playing stage right. When they're balance, it sounds just right. I can't tell if it's just weak right channel seperation or something else. I wonder if it's more the car and not the connection method. In any event, with the proper levels and balance, the car sounds really great. At least I think it does. :)

I had been thinking about getting the JL Audio Cleansweep, a 4-channel amp and new speakers but never pulled the trigger on the purchase. Instead I replaced the door speakers with the Infinity Kappas and got a JL Audio sub and 500W mono amp. Seem to keep me happy -- for now. :)

vegasVowner
05-12-10, 04:29 AM
Hey, you're right. But I only detect it when the speakers are playing stage right. When they're balance, it sounds just right. I can't tell if it's just weak right channel seperation or something else. I wonder if it's more the car and not the connection method. In any event, with the proper levels and balance, the car sounds really great. At least I think it does. :)

I had been thinking about getting the JL Audio Cleansweep, a 4-channel amp and new speakers but never pulled the trigger on the purchase. Instead I replaced the door speakers with the Infinity Kappas and got a JL Audio sub and 500W mono amp. Seem to keep me happy -- for now. :)

I know it has something to do inside the head unit, its not a connection problem. To verify that it isnt in the wiring, pull the the 3.5 mm jack out just a hair and the right stage comes blaring through with flying colors (at least it did on mine). I love clean music so I pulled the trigger on the Isimple, took 2 days to get here...very fast shipping. Dont get the JL cleansweep, a search will bring up some dissappointed users. Definetely go with more power for your door speakers though. I also got Kappas in all 4 doors and the bose just wasnt enough. Went with Kicker ZX 700.5 5 channel and 1 10" Comp in the rear deck(soon to be 2) and the highs have exploded, its like a concert in my car...night and day difference. If you like JL, get a 400/4 or 500/5 and you can hook up the high-level inputs and skip the cleansweep/RF 360 part. Powering up on the door speakers is more than worth it IMO.

jnrandall
05-12-10, 10:51 AM
What is the model number for the iSimple? I see they have several.

Thanks for the other info too! I think I'll take the same path you did.

vegasVowner
05-12-10, 03:59 PM
Part # : ISGM73 bought from sonicelectronix.com. Let me be the guinea pig first though, I'll get this thing in by Friday and give you an update before u pull the trigger.

jnrandall
05-12-10, 04:00 PM
okie doke! :thumbsup:

HeavyH20
05-13-10, 06:53 PM
I already have the PA11-Vette which works perfectly but I am curious to see how the iSimple device works out.

vegasVowner
05-13-10, 09:33 PM
DO NOT..repeat..DO NOT order the piece I did. Wrong plugs for interface, despite reviews from CTS owners on it. Not to worry I'm on the prowl again and just left the rear deck cover off lol. If all else fails I'll buck up and order the PA-11 Vette thing-a-majigger.

jnrandall
05-13-10, 09:35 PM
I actually found a place that carries the replacement cable I needed for my PAC Audio module. I should have it next week sometime. I hope it's the right one. Sorry to hear about the iSimple adapter.

HeavyH20
05-13-10, 09:42 PM
If you get the PA-11 Vette, make sure that you also ask for the updated cable to support iPhones and iTouch charging. It is also backward compatible with the older ones, as well. I have tested it with iPhone 3G, 3GS, iTouch Gen3 and 2 as well as older iPod Nanos. If you get the old cable, the new stuff will not work correctly (noise, popping, hiss).

bjv
05-13-10, 10:03 PM
Good to know, thanks for the info. Well I don't even have an iphone yet but my current contract is up very soon. I don't know whether to jump on a 3Gs right now or wait for the 4th gen.

HeavyH20
05-13-10, 10:38 PM
The Gen 4 is only about one month away. If you can wait, hold out. The new screen is worth the wait.

jrosevear
05-14-10, 08:52 AM
bjv, I was in your spot a year ago, and I held out for the 3GS. That was a good move, and I think holding out for the new one this year will turn out to be an even better one.

rangerrob
05-18-10, 11:57 AM
any word on a good ipod direct connect/bluetooth adapter? i've been sporting a 2010 srx the past few days while my V is in the shop, and hte handsfree bluetooth is pretty sweet, now I want it for my V, lol...

2manycars
05-18-10, 05:20 PM
thats better, but personally I think bluetooth is better. you can get a receiver for $30 and to the installation yourself. I want to try this soon.

Can you tell us more on this. Where do you get the Bluetooth rx, and how do we install it?

I would love to use the bluetooth in my Droid to stream music to the stereo!

sak_v
05-18-10, 08:11 PM
Im not 100% sure how to do the installation. I found a Bluetooth receiver on amazon (Sony Ericsson) from $27 to $37. The installation shouldn't be much different from the cable because it uses RCA as well. I'll have to do a lilttle more reaserch on this. I'll post if I have more info or do it.
If anyone has done this I would really apreciate if they can tell us how to do it. It will save me lot of time.

2manycars
05-19-10, 11:06 AM
Im not 100% sure how to do the installation. I found a Bluetooth receiver on amazon (Sony Ericsson) from $27 to $37. The installation shouldn't be much different from the cable because it uses RCA as well. I'll have to do a lilttle more reaserch on this. I'll post if I have more info or do it.
If anyone has done this I would really apreciate if they can tell us how to do it. It will save me lot of time.

Cool... if you do decide to try it, please let us know what you learn. It would be very cool if it works out!!