: New 06 owner in MA has questions

jrosevear
05-10-10, 10:16 AM
For MA locals, this is the car that was at Baker Cadillac: 06 black/black V, 40k miles, in almost surreal like-new condition, Cadillac certified so GM gets to pay for fixes while I sort it out.

It's stock, almost painfully so. I picked it up Friday and put 200 miles on it this weekend and it's awesome, but there are a few things I want to take care of ASAP. I'll order a CTS armrest this morning, and I'll deal with the CAGS shortly, but I also want to do a wheel hop fix ASAP.

So here's my first question: The FAQ says that "GM released a wheel hop fix which is covered under warranty." I haven't been able to find the TSB for that, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Is that applicable to my 06 and is that a good way to go? If not, what's the best fix for a street-driven mostly-daily-driver where "don't add noise" is a key consideration?

And one more question while I'm at it: I'll do a tune eventually, but meanwhile I want one of those little CAGS kits. Do any of the forum supporters sell 'em?

shadybx7
05-10-10, 10:22 AM
So here's my first question: The FAQ says that "GM released a wheel hop fix which is covered under warranty." I haven't been able to find the TSB for that, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Is that applicable to my 06 and is that a good way to go? If not, what's the best fix for a street-driven mostly-daily-driver where "don't add noise" is a key consideration?

The TSB fix is not worth it.. bottom line... It ads noise and does not do its intended purpose. makes the car sound like a wooden ship.. creaking at stops. I have a set in my garage if you want to try them out yourself..I installed Specter werks bushings in there place.. not available for 06-07.. They don't do the job either but do tighten up the rear cradle noticeably.. pick up an aftermarket axle or go fullblown with the race CVs..

i think a guy type911 or something like that was selling them but i don't know anymore.. I still use cags lol its been disabled for over a year but when im driving like a old man in a cadi i go from 1-4:shhh:

jrosevear
05-10-10, 10:34 AM
My "solution" for avoiding CAGS so far has been, "dude, this thing has a 3.73 rear, I'll just start in 2nd when I'm not driving it hard." The car doesn't seem to mind.

Tityrous
05-10-10, 07:19 PM
congrats on the purchase where in mass do you live?

keith

Autom8r
05-10-10, 07:33 PM
The wheel hop has been a built-in tire and differential saver for me!! I usually drive past the CAGS point in mine, but when I forget, I go to the far right side of the gate then back left into second.

Dave

repenttokyo
05-10-10, 08:31 PM
where is Baker Cadillac?

bpitas
05-11-10, 08:44 AM
I had a CAGS defeat installed and then got a tune making it it unecessary, but just looked in my tool box and it doesn't look like I ever uninstalled the CAGS defeat. If you don't mind waiting over the weekend, I'll uninstall it and just give it to you - I work in the Burlington, MA area. It's just a resistor in some OEM connectors, so there's nothing to it, but the connectors are nice, so it's worth getting the old 911 version rather than making your own. Let me know if you mind waiting that long - it only goes for $13 I think so you might be able to buy a new one and get it delivered before I can uninstall mine. :-)

rand49er
05-11-10, 10:12 AM
The TSB fix is not worth it ...

... pick up an aftermarket axles and go fullblown with the race CVs ...^^^ Yeah that after the fix. ^^^

Autom8r
05-11-10, 11:20 AM
Where can I find a CAGS defeat for the $13.00 neighborhood???

Dave

bpitas
05-11-10, 12:22 PM
I think $13 is about how much the type911 version was - I don't remember it's been a while. Either that or get a tune for $150 (which includes a second computer for the car!) and they can tune it out for you as well as a bunch of other things. The tune actually really wakes the car up and takes away some of the "I have a ton of bricks in the trunk" feeling. Aso makes it rev up and down a bit faster, which I found made rev-matched downshifting 10x easier.

jrosevear
05-11-10, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the greetings, y'all. Baker Cadillac is in Leominster, I'm in a little town near Marlborough.

bpitas, thanks very much for the offer, but I think I'm just going to order one or go with a tune instead -- Burlington is far enough out of my way these days that it probably isn't worth the time and trouble for either of us. I do appreciate it, though. Who do you recommend for that $150 tune?

bpitas
05-11-10, 02:51 PM
I got mine tuned by wait4me performance, and I've been very happy with it - no issues at all, great price, and the service was fantastic!

thebigjimsho
05-11-10, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the greetings, y'all. Baker Cadillac is in Leominster, I'm in a little town near Marlborough.

bpitas, thanks very much for the offer, but I think I'm just going to order one or go with a tune instead -- Burlington is far enough out of my way these days that it probably isn't worth the time and trouble for either of us. I do appreciate it, though. Who do you recommend for that $150 tune?
A little town near Marlborough? Berlin? Clinton? Most of the others are larger.

Burlington too far? Don't be lazy...

jrosevear
05-11-10, 09:49 PM
Burlington too far? Don't be lazy...

"Lazy"? Time is money; no sense in wasting mine or his.

thebigjimsho
05-12-10, 01:25 AM
"Lazy"? Time is money; no sense in wasting mine or his.
Yeah, but a V can get you there in no time. Excuse now? :welcome:

bpitas
05-12-10, 11:35 AM
Don't listen to Big Jim about being lazy - he and I work 300 yards from each other and I've never met him in person. LOL

thebigjimsho
05-12-10, 11:21 PM
Don't listen to Big Jim about being lazy - he and I work 300 yards from each other and I've never met him in person. LOL
My parent company's office is 300 yards away. I go there maybe once every month or two. I "work" nowhere near you. Besides, I've left brake pads for you and love notes on your V...

bpitas
05-13-10, 10:40 AM
Allegedly left them - Anyone could have left those...
Seriously though, you should tell me next time you're in Burlington so we can go over to Not Your Average Joe's for a beer, and put this to rest once and for all. I want to see the '09 anyway.

repenttokyo
05-13-10, 04:59 PM
Allegedly left them - Anyone could have left those...
Seriously though, you should tell me next time you're in Burlington so we can go over to Not Your Average Joe's for a beer, and put this to rest once and for all. I want to see the '09 anyway.

i'm in Belmont, just down the road from Burlington. My V is probably gonna be plated by the beginning of June, would be fun to have a meet :)

I also see a NH plated V near Woburn all the time - anyone know who that is? Black on black.

bpitas
05-13-10, 05:18 PM
I live in Winchester at the end of Park Street Extension, so I live *really* close to Belmont. I just work in Burlington. :-)

repenttokyo
05-13-10, 07:32 PM
nice - i'll msg you when the car is ready and we can all get together and revel in the wonder that is cadillac. would be great to see another V, seem to be quite rare in the Boston area.

bpitas
05-13-10, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I almost never see them unless it's out my office window. Actually i saw one right near my house tonight on the way home - black on black right on park street extension.

thebigjimsho
05-14-10, 02:43 AM
I see quite a few Vs. Many driven by hawt womenz. And no beer if it's midday, bp...

bpitas
05-14-10, 10:11 AM
"I'll have a water" - first guy
"I'll have a water, but with lemon" - second guy
"I'll have a Sam Adams..." - Me

There's nothing wrong with just one pop at lunch as long as you don't tell anyone. Hell in Europe they get stinking drunk at lunch.

BTW - I *have* run into a woman driving a Raven in Arlington. She actually brings it to Mal's to get work done too - Richie said she beats the crap out of it.

thebigjimsho
05-14-10, 11:27 AM
I don't drink alcohol within 8 hours of work. Not happening. My career is my life.

bpitas
05-14-10, 01:53 PM
I'd take that pretty seriously too if my career was related to driving or operating machinery. Fortunately I'm in software professional services/consulting, where people who don't drink are met with suspicion, and developers get extra bonus points for smoking weed.
As for drinking at lunch, I usually don't even take a lunch, just eat at my desk, so when I get the chance to get out of the office, I take advantage of it!

thebigjimsho
05-16-10, 07:48 PM
I've never been a drinker anyway. But I'll booze it up after hours...

WesH8398
05-17-10, 12:29 AM
To the thread starter - if you're looking for a CAGS eliminator (and don't wanna do the do-it-yourself way), I just picked one up from Ebay for under $20 shipped. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360255477739&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) A lot of money for a $1 resistor, but it's quick and simple. Think about how many 5 cent coffees you pay $2 for every day. lol

I'm curious how a "tune" for our cars is only $150 too ... where are you guys getting these done?? You can't be talking about a dyno tune ... can you? And you must have to buy a handheld tuner as well, right?

bpitas
05-17-10, 12:03 PM
I can only talk to the wait4me tune - there are others out there - but for W4M you literally paypal him $160, and he sends you a whole (used) CTS-V computer with the tune on it. You just remove the stock computer, put this one in, and that's it. If you're paranoid, when you go to the dealership you can put the stock one back in.
It's not going to be as good as a dyno tune obviously since it's not tuned to your particular car, but with that said, it still gives you some impressive drivability advantages, as well as some nice options like leaving the fans on for a minute after you shut off the car, getting rid of CAGS, etc. In my case I asked him specifically to make sure the RPMs came down faster, because for me at least the stock tune seemed to keep the RPMs up way too long for rev-matched downshifting, even with a UUC lightweight flywheel. It definitely feels better with the tune, and the car feels much "peppier" in general, which is probably related to the throttle response changes. When I first got the tune, I WOT'd it in 2nd gear in a place on the way to work that I hit every day, and with the new tune it broke loose pretty easily where before it would react much more slowly and would never break the tires loose. I'm sure with a dyno tune you could get it even more optimized, but I haven't looked into whether or not the tune is "locked" so a dyno tuner with the right software couldn't tweak the W4M tune further. One big advantage to W4M though is that he's commited to doing any updates for free (!!!) if you just tell him what you want done, so if you add additional bolt-ons or whatnot he should be able to send you a compatible tune as long as it's a configuration he's dyno-tuned for another V owner previously.

jrosevear
05-17-10, 02:07 PM
WesH8398: Ordered one this morning -- thanks for the link.

Re the wait4me tune, note that the $160 price is for the LS6 cars. Pricing on the LS2 version is more like $300. Still reasonable, but not quite the same kind of bargain.

bpitas
05-17-10, 05:31 PM
Sorry man - I obviously had no idea about the LS2 version! :-D Must be a completely different controller so maybe more complex to create the tables for it or something?

2manycars
05-17-10, 08:43 PM
Sorry man - I obviously had no idea about the LS2 version! :-D Must be a completely different controller so maybe more complex to create the tables for it or something?

As I understand it, I think the difference is in the computer/ PCM itself... it is more expensive to buy.

jrosevear
05-17-10, 10:02 PM
As I understand it, I think the difference is in the computer/ PCM itself... it is more expensive to buy.

That's my understanding too. Not his fault, but it's a consideration.