: towing suspension questions

nautbob
05-10-10, 10:09 AM
i own an 07 esv escalade and a 25 foot grady white with twin 150 yammies. last weekend, 5 large men and the boat loaded up and went fishing. i towed the boat 50 miles to the coast, (orlando to cape canaveral). we fished all day and the escalade sat with an empty trailer in the sun. we loaded up at the ramp and returned to orlando. when i got home and parked the boat and trailer, i noticed that the rear end had bottomed out. the auto leveling suspension was not keeping up with the weight. after i unloaded the trailer, the suv went back to normal. it is only the third time i have towed the boat with the suv and both previous times, i only had 4 men in the truck. the suspension was clearly overloaded. i have 75k miles on the truck.
1. do you think this system was just overloaded and overtaxed OR do you think i have a leak in the system
2. can the truck's systems be bolstered with heavier springs or something to prevent bottoming out in the future
3. would this refit hurt overall ride
4. is this just too much to ask of the truck. while the boat is heavy, i fall well below the 7500 towing capacity.
5. i love my caddy and do like to go fishing in comfort and the ride home with A/C on my back side is always welcome.

any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

nautbob
05-10-10, 10:29 AM
just spoke to strutmasters and they indicated that if need be, i can switch out away from the airshock system, which may or may not be overloaded, and go with a new heavy coil system for towing. so that is my next question, has anyone done that.

Fast Eddie
05-10-10, 11:37 AM
I have had over 2000lbs in my truck and the springs held up fine(I know it's nuts, but what can I say, I'm nuts). I leave the truck running while I load it so the compressor has time to adjust (and yes it does strain under real heavy load). Sounds like your compressor or shocks/lines are faulty.

nautbob
05-10-10, 11:57 AM
i am running closer to 1200 lbs of men in the truck and towing a boat around 6000 lbs.

07maralade
05-10-10, 12:27 PM
IF the suspension was fine (not bottomed out) when you went to Cape Canaveral and the suspension was at bump stops coming back, you have a problem with your A.L.L. suspension. If it was bottomed out the whole way, then the suspension is overloaded. Its going to be a big job if you change out the suspension and you might have a "service suspension" code all the time because of those damn computers. What I hate about air suspension is that there hard to service and its expensive.

Good to hear your truck has 75k miles and is still towing ...boat on!

nautbob
05-10-10, 12:49 PM
it was not bottomed out on the ride over

nautbob
05-10-10, 12:49 PM
or the other two times towing

hcvone
05-10-10, 02:28 PM
I have towed a 7k lb trailer with 4 people many times and never bottomed out the suspension. Maybe one of the shock boots has a leak or one of the lines

Fast Eddie
05-10-10, 02:34 PM
i am running closer to 1200 lbs of men in the truck and towing a boat around 6000 lbs.

You should have roughly 600- 800 lbs of tongue weight on that trailer. That would put you at 2000lbs loaded. You are pushing the truck, but it should hold up. If it was bottomed out and not raising, then something gave way...

EXTnumber2
05-13-10, 04:54 AM
yes sounds like a leak in the system somewhere or a worn out compressor. I towed over 9,000lb boat fully loaded on my 04 EXT without much sag the compressor had to pump alot longer when I hooked it up but it made it :yup:
haven't tried it with the new style EXT yet so I am interested to see if it will tow it as well as the 04 w 6.0L did

07maralade
05-13-10, 03:22 PM
Any DIC error of "service suspension"?