: What do you ride in snowy winter road conditions?

lousy_investor
05-10-10, 01:14 AM
I know I know... it is hardly the season to be talking about this, but I am just curious as you what you ride on during the winter time in the snowy part of the country. I live in Toronto, Canada and I don't have to describe the winter weather here to you. :) I have been driving BMWs for 10+ years and I always have winter tires on. Just wonder if keeping the stock all season is good enough for the Escalade.

Thanks.. and hopefully we won't be seeing any winter weather any time soon, though it did snow slightly yesterday.

07maralade
05-10-10, 01:22 AM
If you are asking what kind of car, did you expect any other awnsers besides an escalade?

If you are asking about the tire, stock are fine but if you want to be on the very safe side, get a set of blizzaks. I spent a bit of time in Ottawa this winter and my 18's were fine but stopping was subpar.

lousy_investor
05-10-10, 02:19 AM
Thanks 07maralade for your reply... yeah, I was just wondering about the tires. The stopping even in summer time is not ideal in my opinion. If it gets any worst in the winter i better get some winter tires. :) I test drove 4 different ones before I settled on my 08 and none of the others would stop in time for me just on stop signs. I found myself constantly 2 ft beyond. But of course I drove my 545i to test drive them the brakes on the bimmer were superb.

I have been an advocate of winter tires but it is still one of those thing I would avoid if I could... another set of rims can get expensive too. Then again I can save my chrome for the summer and not having to worry about rusting.

Good I still have a few months to ponder upon it. :)

You in the Toronto area too? Any other tips you can give to a fellow Canadian?

BTW, really like your handle.

07maralade
05-10-10, 03:40 AM
One thing I can say is that awd's/4wd rock in the winter. I've seen a lot of bad cases of chrome rims in ontario pitting. Do you have 22's? I wouldnt recommend them for the winter because winter tires are hard to find for them. OEM 18's can be found everywhere on kijiji for cheap! I found a set with almost new bridgestones for $800 in London but I already have 18's.

Nope, not from the toronto area but my "new to me" 07 was. It used to be from Toronto but was repo'd since the construction company went upside down in debt and went bankrupt. Bought it from North York Chev at a spectacular price. I'm from Windsor but I do study in Ottawa. All the cars that my family have bought used (3 or so) have been from toronto since there is so much competition from used car lots.
what do you mean by "handle"?

hcvone
05-10-10, 07:22 AM
I live in the snow belt were we get snow by the foot, stock 18's or 22's you will get stuck when the snow piles up, it's all about the tires. I have had very good luck with Bridgestone Revo's on stock 18" wheels, on one of my Escalade's I used Cooper Discoverer STT this year, great in the deep snow but a little to aggressive for street driving, but we have snow most of the winter. I have had to use chains on all 4 wheels several times when we get above 3 feet. The Escalade is a great snow truck with the right tires. :)

Big Windy Ext
05-10-10, 08:48 AM
I put aggressive Michelins on 18" wheels. Their new 2 series . I pulled a four place enclosed a couple of times this season in heavy snow , perfect , lowered the air pressure from the 60s down to 34 psi when I'm not towing , the ride and handling are great also . Time to put wagon wheels on !!

lousy_investor
05-10-10, 10:41 AM
One thing I can say is that awd's/4wd rock in the winter. I've seen a lot of bad cases of chrome rims in ontario pitting. Do you have 22's? I wouldnt recommend them for the winter because winter tires are hard to find for them. OEM 18's can be found everywhere on kijiji for cheap! I found a set with almost new bridgestones for $800 in London but I already have 18's.

Nope, not from the toronto area but my "new to me" 07 was. It used to be from Toronto but was repo'd since the construction company went upside down in debt and went bankrupt. Bought it from North York Chev at a spectacular price. I'm from Windsor but I do study in Ottawa. All the cars that my family have bought used (3 or so) have been from toronto since there is so much competition from used car lots.
what do you mean by "handle"?

Yeah I do have the 22's. Sounds like I should get winter tires afterall. 18's will work well budget-wise. :) Thanks for the tip on kijiji. I frequent that site also.

I also looked at one at North York Chev.. was so close in taking it and I still regret not making the deal because it had everything we needed. Just us being silly and we ended up buying somewhere else.

07maralade
05-10-10, 12:49 PM
Yeah I do have the 22's. Sounds like I should get winter tires afterall. 18's will work well budget-wise. :) Thanks for the tip on kijiji. I frequent that site also.

I also looked at one at North York Chev.. was so close in taking it and I still regret not making the deal because it had everything we needed. Just us being silly and we ended up buying somewhere else.

haha really? Was it an 07 with no sunroof? Beige? 18's? I looked at Roy Foss too but they were really rude and had a bad attitude.

Here are some rims...
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-2008-Cadillac-Escalade-18-take-off-chrome-wheels-tires-W0QQAdIdZ203755753
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-Cadillac-Escalade-18-wheels-and-tires-new-GM-W0QQAdIdZ179858430
Sell the rubber, and go get some winter tires.

lousy_investor
05-10-10, 03:46 PM
haha really? Was it an 07 with no sunroof? Beige? 18's? I looked at Roy Foss too but they were really rude and had a bad attitude.

Here are some rims...
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-2008-Cadillac-Escalade-18-take-off-chrome-wheels-tires-W0QQAdIdZ203755753
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-Cadillac-Escalade-18-wheels-and-tires-new-GM-W0QQAdIdZ179858430
Sell the rubber, and go get some winter tires.

heehee... nah, it wasn't your baby. It was an 08 white diamond with black interior. I have a small kid and thought black interior would be perfect, and they are so hard to come by! The vehicle seems to be still available.

about the rims... would i be better off getting after market 18 inches that are not chrome? Just worrying about the salt and the chrome in the winter time.

hcvone
05-11-10, 09:43 AM
heehee... nah, it wasn't your baby. It was an 08 white diamond with black interior. I have a small kid and thought black interior would be perfect, and they are so hard to come by! The vehicle seems to be still available.

about the rims... would i be better off getting after market 18 inches that are not chrome? Just worrying about the salt and the chrome in the winter time.

They are so cheap on e-bay it does not matter, I got 2 sets (8 wheels) stock 18" chrome wheels for $400.00 shipped. At 50 dollars per wheel they are throw away wheels ;)

lousy_investor
05-11-10, 11:36 AM
They are so cheap on e-bay it does not matter, I got 2 sets (8 wheels) stock 18" chrome wheels for $400.00 shipped. At 50 dollars per wheel they are throw away wheels ;)

WOW... that's an amazing deal!!! The cheapest I found here in Canada was $650 a set, before shipping. Want to sell me a set of yours? :)

hcvone
05-11-10, 11:47 AM
I have a set of 18's with 3/4 worn Revo's on them, but S&H would be the killer because of the tires. Keep looking around and you will find a good deal, it's just being in the right spot at the right time. :) Where in Canada are you? Have a home in upstate NY not to far from Canada

lousy_investor
05-11-10, 12:13 PM
I have a set of 18's with 3/4 worn Revo's on them, but S&H would be the killer because of the tires. Keep looking around and you will find a good deal, it's just being in the right spot at the right time. :) Where in Canada are you? Have a home in upstate NY not to far from Canada

I will keep looking indeed... have 5 months left to go before I need them. :)

I am about 20 minutes north of Toronto. BTW, when you are on this side of the border, just be careful with the cops. They are cracking down seriously on using your cell phone while you are behind the wheels. My wife told me they had three kinds of offenses, and one is if the screen is within sight of the driver. Don't know if you care since you don't live in Canada but they are stacking up the cards completely against the drivers here... saying if you go to trial the judge could raise the fine to $500. I guess there are budget shortfall at all levels of every government around the world. :)

hcvone
05-11-10, 12:22 PM
Phila and New Jersey have the no phone law, but PA does not, and when I am in Jersey there are more people on the phone than ever. My 09' and 10' have bluetooth so I don't have to be picking up the phone, I was warned about it at the boarder last time snowmobiling heading into Canada, thanks for the heads up. :)

lousy_investor
05-11-10, 12:52 PM
Phila and New Jersey have the no phone law, but PA does not, and when I am in Jersey there are more people on the phone than ever. My 09' and 10' have bluetooth so I don't have to be picking up the phone, I was warned about it at the boarder last time snowmobiling heading into Canada, thanks for the heads up. :)

No problem... just want to spread the news. They are really pissing me off lately. I just got a parking ticket for $105 and no, it wasn't in a handicap spot. I was actually in the parking lot of a park but just not parked properly. Didn't think it warranted $105. Meanwhile you have tons of cars parking illegal downtown blocking traffic and got nothing.

Ronin
05-13-10, 09:19 AM
I've been through more than a few 100+ inches of snow winters, so I'm fairly comfortable answering the question...

First off, there's no such thing as an all season tire; it's just a marketing gimmick to get people to think they're saving money. If you told people they needed two sets of wheels/tires; they'd think you're hosing them, not trying to help them out. Application specific designed tires are the only way to go; track, drag, summer, winter, etc. The same way there's no one vehicle that's the best at everything (sorry...) there's no one tire that can do it all. All season tires are a compromise, and in a world of compromise, some men don't (to borrow a line from Heckler & Koch...).

I don't know about you, but I remember in the "old days" when most everyone would switch over to winter tires sometime around Thanksgiving so they wouldn't get caught with their pants down. The same old days when there was pretty much no such thing as a front wheel drive car either. All of a sudden FWD comes on the scene and everyone thinks they can rip their FWD car through snow on "all season" tires like their Ken Block or something! I'll take a RWD car with the proper winter tires (like a Chrysler 300C on Blizzaks) over a 4WD/AWD drive car on "all season" tires any day. The skinnier the tire the better too for snow, and the wide arse tires on the Escalade 22s make great ice skates for you to slide all over the place in even the lightest bit of accumulation...

My ESV is a snow shredding mountain goat with the stock 18s on Blizzaks, but I'd drive my FWD MINI on Blizzaks before my ESV on 22s with their "all season" tires on any snowy day.

The tech articles on the Tire Rack website are an absolute wealth of information, complete with tons of real world testing data to back it up. Check it out...

YMMV.

lousy_investor
05-13-10, 10:30 AM
I've been through more than a few 100+ inches of snow winters, so I'm fairly comfortable answering the question...

First off, there's no such thing as an all season tire; it's just a marketing gimmick to get people to think they're saving money. If you told people they needed two sets of wheels/tires; they'd think you're hosing them, not trying to help them out. Application specific designed tires are the only way to go; track, drag, summer, winter, etc. The same way there's no one vehicle that's the best at everything (sorry...) there's no one tire that can do it all. All season tires are a compromise, and in a world of compromise, some men don't (to borrow a line from Heckler & Koch...).

I don't know about you, but I remember in the "old days" when most everyone would switch over to winter tires sometime around Thanksgiving so they wouldn't get caught with their pants down. The same old days when there was pretty much no such thing as a front wheel drive car either. All of a sudden FWD comes on the scene and everyone thinks they can rip their FWD car through snow on "all season" tires like their Ken Block or something! I'll take a RWD car with the proper winter tires (like a Chrysler 300C on Blizzaks) over a 4WD/AWD drive car on "all season" tires any day. The skinnier the tire the better too for snow, and the wide arse tires on the Escalade 22s make great ice skates for you to slide all over the place in even the lightest bit of accumulation...

My ESV is a snow shredding mountain goat with the stock 18s on Blizzaks, but I'd drive my FWD MINI on Blizzaks before my ESV on 22s with their "all season" tires on any snowy day.

The tech articles on the Tire Rack website are an absolute wealth of information, complete with tons of real world testing data to back it up. Check it out...

YMMV.

I agree 100% with you on this Ronin... I have been preaching the use of snow tires to all my friends. I felt absolutely more comfortable in my bimmers with snow tires than my friends' SUVs on all season. I guess I was fishing for someone to say "don't worry, save the money, you are fine wihtout." :)

So you have a mini cooper too? It is funny looking at our garage as the mini looks like it can fit into the back of the escalade. And with your ESV, you probably can! :)