: Ticking noises

nekobarnes
05-09-10, 03:25 PM
Hey, I have a 97 Deville that was not started up after a number of months, It was sounding fine before but after giving the battery a jump and the car started right up, Its now giving off a distinctive ticking noise from the top of the motor. I let the car warm up to normal operating tempatures but it is still ticking. Does anyone else have a similar problem and If so what can i do to fix this? Before letting it sit for about 4 months I have not had this problem.

97EldoCoupe
05-09-10, 04:13 PM
I'm going to guess that you have a slight issue with your valve lifters. Probably bled off and stuck. Do an oil change, fill the system with 7.5 quarts of 5w30 Valvoline or Quaker State. This is the wrong grade of oil to use but it is a bit thinner and may reach the top of the engine a bit better. Run it with this oil for some miles and see if the ticking fades/disappears. As soon as it does, switch back to 10w30. This is only a suggestion from me, I can't guarantee that it will work. I'm assuming you've run it for some miles already after sitting- if you haven't, try that first (and watch the RPMs-keep them low for a while, below 4000).

If this doesn't work, you will need replacement lifters. Don't use any type of engine flush or miracle fluids. The best stuff for your engine, is fresh, clean engine oil, changed every 3,000 miles.

Submariner409
05-09-10, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that - the pre-2000 engines use a hydraulic cam follower (lifter) as opposed to the newer roller cams which use a static hydraulic lash adjuster.

(Jake - I stuck this in here because there's currently another thread running concerning an engine "tick", but that one is in a 2003, so there might be some confusion..........)

97EldoCoupe
05-09-10, 05:33 PM
Gotcha Sub :thumbsup:

nekobarnes
05-10-10, 03:16 AM
Thanx for the reply Eldo, its mighty funny that after i started the car up a few hours later all the ticking was gone, it may have been all the oil sitting down in the pan after all those months of no activity.

Submariner409
05-10-10, 10:07 AM
Regardless - as Jake posted, change your oil and filter. A lot of condensation and acids can build up in 4 months of storage, specially if the car was not in a climate controlled garage: air expansion and contraction due to temp changes pumps humidity in and out of the crankcase and valve covers.

The next time you lay up the car for more than a month, use an 8 oz. bottle of Engine Oil Stabilizer (it is NOT a Lucas product !!!!!!) - used by the military and boat engine shops for long-term storage. It keeps an oil film on all the metal and in the bearings, and you don't need to drain the oil after storage.

West Marine, boat dealers, or NAPA. Maybe even a good RV/truck center.