: Just bough 2008 Escalade - Help with Battery Choice

SouthernLCC
05-09-10, 12:32 AM
This is my first post, and am glad to be here. I have searched ad nauseum trying to figure out which battery to purcahse. I am going on a trip this week already and do not want to have battery issues so am doing a pre-emptive strike against the delco.

It is a stock 2008 with navigation and rear entertainment system. I don't plan on doing anything custom to it. I do go for days sometimes without driving, up to 4 at a time sometimes. Am I correct in thinking the Optima yellow top may be the best choice? Is the D35 the one I want.

Thank you all in advance.

hcvone
05-09-10, 07:16 AM
Optima red top for regular use, the yellow top is for big sound systems or long time between starts. You may want to look at the new Sears Die Hard, while I am not a Sears fan this battery is very good

SouthernLCC
05-09-10, 10:20 AM
Optima red top for regular use, the yellow top is for big sound systems or long time between starts. You may want to look at the new Sears Die Hard, while I am not a Sears fan this battery is very good

Thank you. So 4 or 5 days between starts will be fine for the red tops? I thought I needed a deep cycle battery for time between starts. You think the sears would meet my needs?

And which Dies Hard? When I did a search using my vehicle none came up. Group 48H6?

SouthernCaddy
05-09-10, 10:30 AM
I have a interstate battery and never had a problem. Interstate batteries are better than die hard. My father has been making auto batteries for 26 years, You would be suprized at who makes the Die hards. Interstate is the best battery on the market right now as a auto battery.

SouthernLCC
05-09-10, 10:31 AM
I have a interstate battery and never had a problem. Interstate batteries are better than die hard. My father has been making auto batteries for 26 years, You would be suprized at who makes the Die hards. Interstate is the best battery on the market right now as a auto battery.

Thanks. But what size do you have? And if I do go with a red top, what size is everyone using?

SouthernLCC
05-09-10, 10:46 AM
The Interstate site sasys the MTP-H6 is the battery that fits. Anyone using this?

SouthernLCC
05-09-10, 11:37 AM
And my last question, apologies everyone. Which yellow top are people running?

SouthernLCC
05-09-10, 01:30 PM
OK. So after researching more i decided on the Yellow Top D34/78. Went to advance autoparts and they put it in. After I fired the car up, I have a check engine light. Any ideas?

vfjdesign
05-09-10, 10:43 PM
Did you have them check the codes at advance, they will do that for free. I haven't replaced my 08's yet but when I had an 02 did the optima yellow and it was awesome. I just thought of something on the light, when I had my bluetooth but in my 08 the check engine light (battery) came on for about 10min of driving then went away???

SouthernLCC
05-09-10, 10:48 PM
Did you have them check the codes at advance, they will do that for free.

We tried, but the device couldn't get power to read the codes, and mine at home was the same. I think the connection point may be bad. When he went to change the battery he plugged a portable power supply into the connection to give some temporary power while he switched batteries. But when I turned the car on my settings were lost as if the temporary power was never supplied, and a check engine light was on. I am thinking something must be wrong with the connector and the check engine light is a battery disconnect code?

Only speculation. Taking it to the dealer in the morning. I sure hope they dont compain about the battery change...

SouthernCaddy
05-09-10, 11:17 PM
Installed my interstate battery without a extra power supply and no problems. Hope you get yours fixed. :(

hcvone
05-10-10, 07:43 AM

The new Die Hard beat all of them in 2009, that is from my friend that has sold Interstate batteries since 1977, he has one of those Interstate Battery trucks, Interstate is a good battery, I have had several in my life time, but according to test results the Die Hard beat them all in 2009, I will try to find the thread with the link on the GM board. :)

SouthernLCC
05-10-10, 01:42 PM
All fixed. I think the power charger blew the guy plugged into the OBDII connector blew several fuses. Dealer had to power the computer down and replace a few fuses, but working fine now. Cost me $180 since the battery caused the problem (or installation of it) and it is not a GM Part.

I wonder if I have any recourse with Advance Auto Parts?

2007caddy
05-10-10, 11:05 PM
Why don't you go with the dual battery option, the escalade has a spot within the engine compartment for a second battery, few threads on this site that specifically talks to the dual battery setup...I'm getting it done to prevent the few dead battery situations I have run into while in my garage cleaning my vehicle and running my stereo, and eliminate and issues starting on cold winter days.

SouthernLCC
05-10-10, 11:10 PM
Why don't you go with the dual battery option, the escalade has a spot within the engine compartment for a second battery, few threads on this site that specifically talks to the dual battery setup...I'm getting it done to prevent the few dead battery situations I have run into while in my garage cleaning my vehicle and running my stereo, and eliminate and issues starting on cold winter days.

Well I was planning on it eventually. Just so happens first one I did was the Optima. I will likely add another Optima here shortly.

vfjdesign
05-12-10, 04:46 PM
Did you get anywhere with Advance paying for some of your expenses?

SouthernLCC
05-12-10, 08:11 PM
Did you get anywhere with Advance paying for some of your expenses?

Didn't even try. Figured it was a lost cause.