: More engines......NEED HELP DECODING

97EldoCoupe
05-07-10, 08:27 PM
40+ brand new fully assembled 03/04 Northstar engines. This time RWD units. Everything from the intake/pan to exhaust manifolds.

I wasn't given the RPO codes, rather, the codes from the cam covers (or at least these codes WERE on the cam covers on the FWD units.

The engine codes are as follows:

FDA - 2003 production year (must have been late '03 for the '04 models)
JBA - 2004 production year
JBB - 2004 production year
JCA - 2004 production year
JCB - 2004 production year
JMA - 2004 production year

I need to know what these are (4.4 supercharged LC3 or 4.6 LH2), and what the differences are in the codes.

Also I am fairly sure, but not 100%, that some of the internals will work in the older FWD blocks. The cranks are forged steel in the RWD units unless I was given false information; this is a fairly reliable source. They will fit in the FWD blocks too as far as I was told, so I'm assuming the rest of the rotating assembly (pistons/rods/rings should work too) should work. Swap everything and perfect balance is maintained. The forged cranks will make for higher HP handling capabilities. The bores stayed the same from the 4.6 RWD to the FWD. It depends on a lot of things (reluctor wheel, journal size, rod length, etc.)

I am in need of rotating assemblies to outfit these FWD blocks that I have and it would be cheaper to buy these whole engines than it costs me to buy the new rotating assemblies from GM for the FWD blocks. Hard to believe, isn't it? I'm spending some pretty good money getting new cranks, rods, and pistons and I'm already getting a very good discount through GM. I wish they had an overstock of cranks!

I hope someone can help me out with these codes.

Thanks in advance-

97EldoCoupe
05-07-10, 08:30 PM
OK I think I can rule the LC3 out - I forgot it didn't come out until the '06 model year.

98eldo32v
05-08-10, 02:21 AM
Those codes are interesting.

This was taken from the compnine page........
some of those codes repeat in other years?!

http://www.compnine.com/chart.php?num=48722

97EldoCoupe
05-08-10, 10:27 AM
That site shows that these are all FWD Northstars. Thanks 98Eldo32v - I think I may have to call the guys and get the actual codes off the side of the block - (i.e. LH2, LC3, LD8, L37) - does anyone know the location of these RPO codes on the longitudinal Northstars?

Submariner409
05-08-10, 10:47 AM
Jake, This is from a 2002 engine............

98eldo32v
05-08-10, 12:53 PM
No problem Jake. (I'm gathering the rest of my stuff for my N* headgasket job, you're studs are the last item on the list and I'm three items away?!)

Sub, nice picture of the engine codes! Where did you find that?

97EldoCoupe
05-08-10, 02:09 PM
Thanks Sub - you wouldn't have that for the RWD configured Northstars would you? I wonder if the serial # stamp pad retained the same location in the casting change?

98eldo32v - I'll keep a kit around for you- I wish you the best with your Northstar project! These are awesome cars. I just got my '97 ETC on the road now. I need new front struts REAL BAD. I'm going for the original replacements so I'll have to set some big $$ aside for that soon.

Submariner409
05-08-10, 05:18 PM
Jake, Nope - only for my Seville series. I would guess that the ID pad stayed the same........the VIN derivative is usually etched/stamped when the engine goes up into the car or when the assembly order is processed.

98 eldo, Take a look at a year's subscription for your particular car to www.alldatadiy.com

98eldo32v
05-08-10, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the luck Jake.

I've got a closet full of eldo stuff as we speak.:eek:

From center caps, rims in the garage, replacement bose speakers...trim. I think I've gone over board, but it's going to be nice.

I have another engine out of a 98 sts that is just about ready to come out. It has less miles than the one in my car, ran good too. Of course, we all know what it needs....yet I'm confident that I can pull it off.

I can hardly wait.....

Sub, thanks on the ALLDATADIY, I'll check it out. I've got the factory service manuals, but I like comparing notes from other sources also.....

eyekandyboats.inc
05-09-10, 09:32 AM
Man.. we need to talk soon. i have a stuipd idea that is totally awesome..ness

AJxtcman
05-10-10, 10:46 AM
40+ brand new fully assembled 03/04 Northstar engines. This time RWD units. Everything from the intake/pan to exhaust manifolds.

I wasn't given the RPO codes, rather, the codes from the cam covers (or at least these codes WERE on the cam covers on the FWD units.

The engine codes are as follows:

FDA - 2003 production year (must have been late '03 for the '04 models)
JBA - 2004 production year
JBB - 2004 production year
JCA - 2004 production year
JCB - 2004 production year
JMA - 2004 production year

I need to know what these are (4.4 supercharged LC3 or 4.6 LH2), and what the differences are in the codes.

Also I am fairly sure, but not 100%, that some of the internals will work in the older FWD blocks. The cranks are forged steel in the RWD units unless I was given false information; this is a fairly reliable source. They will fit in the FWD blocks too as far as I was told, so I'm assuming the rest of the rotating assembly (pistons/rods/rings should work too) should work. Swap everything and perfect balance is maintained. The forged cranks will make for higher HP handling capabilities. The bores stayed the same from the 4.6 RWD to the FWD. It depends on a lot of things (reluctor wheel, journal size, rod length, etc.)

I am in need of rotating assemblies to outfit these FWD blocks that I have and it would be cheaper to buy these whole engines than it costs me to buy the new rotating assemblies from GM for the FWD blocks. Hard to believe, isn't it? I'm spending some pretty good money getting new cranks, rods, and pistons and I'm already getting a very good discount through GM. I wish they had an overstock of cranks!

I hope someone can help me out with these codes.

Thanks in advance-

FWD and RWD parts do not interchange.

A block that was not installed in the car at the assembly plant will not have the VIN derivative code stamp

You must use the Broadcast code on the engine.

Also look in the crate and look for a sheet of paper that gives you information on installing the engine. (if you install this engine in place of this broadcast code engine you will need to get a VCI # and update the PCM) (if you install this engine in a 2000 car with the same broadcast code you will need a VCI# to update the PCM)