: HEI distributors identification help needed

05-07-10, 07:34 PM
Someone offered to give me some HEI distributers that they said would fit my car but they are both different slightly and are unknown to be working or not. I have the only numbers here:: (1112940 6610) and (1103246 6m22). Does anyone know what these came from and if they will fit my 1973 Cadillac 472? What other ones would fit if these won't?

05-07-10, 11:49 PM
My distributor, a '76 500 is # 1102354, the last year of the 500 engine. Seems like the one you have with #1112940 would be a later one. What are the differences you noted?
If you have a distributor now, to compare them with, you may be able to figure out if one of those will work for you. If yours is the points type, the double belt system will be in the way of an HEI distributor, so you will have to remove the inside belt or change pulleys etc. That has been covered here before.
As far as not working, they are simple inside, and parts are not very expensive.

05-08-10, 01:30 AM
I would have to drive way out and pick them up. He said they came off of a race car so unknown on which v8 they came from.

05-10-10, 02:12 PM
What are the other options besides going to an HEI?

05-12-10, 12:48 AM
You might be better off going to an auto salvage yard and getting a later HEI,like '75 thru '76. Mallory has one and MSD has one, but expensive, for a stock engine. Can't remember when HEI was standard on the Caddy engines, '75 on Chevys.
If you have double belts, the inside one wont clear the HEI distributor, and I believe you can simply remove it. Folks here know more about that.

05-12-10, 07:34 AM
Do I have to change out anything else to go to the HEI distributor?

05-12-10, 09:39 AM
A points ignition has a resistor or resistor wire (several ohms) in series with the 12V feed to the coil. That resistance must be removed for an HEI. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

05-13-10, 04:55 PM
Like Bruce said, you need to get 12 volts to the HEI distributor, and not use the wire that's powering the point type distributor.
On the fuse block under the dash there will be places that have power when the ignition is on (switched power) and you can usually tap in there with a spade connector and run the wire from there to the HEI. Auto stores usually have the HEI power connector for the distributor.

05-15-10, 12:24 PM
No salvage places around here have these old 472 and 500s. What are the part numbers for those HEI units? There are some neat ones on ebay like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150442892648&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D8517311323780995027 BUT the guy said this would not fit :(

05-18-10, 11:47 PM
I went to HEI on my '69 472, and kept the double belts, it's very close, rubs a little, but I thinks it's OK, although I don't run the AC... yet. I got a DUI HEI distro. It's probably better to somehow move the double belts out a little or go to single belt, but might not absolutely be required.