: Dealer rebuilt diff?

Gus_Mahn
05-06-10, 08:18 PM
So my '05 is in the dealer shop for warranty repair. It was leaking lube, which turns out to be the vent. It was also whining. The dealer says it can't get a complete diff, and will rebuild my original. I'm beyond pissed, and I really liked this dealer.

I explained to the dealer that the rear has been through three or four revisions and I want the new updated version to prevent future issues. I even tried to give him the part numbers from here. He wouldn't take them. He say he can't get a 3.73 diff like it's something unusual. Aren't all V1 cars 3.73?

SkullV
05-06-10, 08:22 PM
Yes they are all 3.73. If it is Schepel talk to Mike the service writer...he is an "enthusiast". They have also replaced MULTIPLE diffs for me even with the headers so they are feeding you a line of BS.

darkman
05-06-10, 08:24 PM
So my '05 is in the dealer shop for warranty repair. It was leaking lube, which turns out to be the vent. It was also whining. The dealer says it can't get a complete diff, and will rebuild my original. I'm beyond pissed, and I really liked this dealer.

I explained to the dealer that the rear has been through three or four revisions and I want the new updated version to prevent future issues. I even tried to give him the part numbers from here. He wouldn't take them. He say he can't get a 3.73 diff like it's something unusual. Aren't all V1 cars 3.73?

Yes all V1s are 3.73 and limited slip. If I were in your place I would be patient. The odds that the dealer can reassemble that unit such that it does not whine are not high. It may simply take you two tries to get a new unit.

ewill3rd
05-06-10, 08:31 PM
I have replaced about fifty of them, never rebuilt one.
You could ask Luke but I bet we have them in stock.

Gus_Mahn
05-06-10, 11:17 PM
I've never been one to waste anything. It seems a waste to screw with my generation 1? diff when an improved rear is available. It also worries me that I only have 6months and 5,000 miles of warranty left. I feel like they are picking my pocket for the $1400 it will cost me down the road when I replace it myself. Thanks Ted I'll call you tomorrow.
Yes all V1s are 3.73 and limited slip. If I were in your place I would be patient. The odds that the dealer can reassemble that unit such that it does not whine are not high. It may simply take you two tries to get a new unit.

c4ss
05-07-10, 01:42 AM
Time to find a new dealer. What a load of crap that was. Rebuilding a 1st gen diff. HAH :helpless:

yooper
05-07-10, 06:27 AM

Cadillac dealer told me internal components for the rear diff are not available. Said complete assembly was all that is available. Hmmmmmmm:confused:

PISNUOFF
05-07-10, 06:37 AM
Exactly. I've called Luke looking for internal parts and they are NOT available. I'm betting they may try to set the backlash. That used to be the major cause of axle whine in jeeps.

odla
05-07-10, 06:58 AM
Ive had to get 2 transmissions in my silver car. the second time they told me they were rebuilding it. took a month and they ended up putting a new one in again.