: Stopped in my tracks

toberting22
05-06-10, 04:18 PM
I was driving to work today in the fast lane of course driving about 80 mph. There was a giant Ford F350 work truck in front of me. He had a bunch of supplies in the back of his truck so I couldn't see in front of him very well. I was following at a safe distance when for some reason all lanes of traffic came to a complete stop!
I hit the brakes and HOLY CRAP this thing stops! I have never tracked my car or had to slam on my brakes yet in the V and I was just totally surprised at how well my OE pads bit and how straight the car stopped. I've never had a car give me so much control in such a hard stop before. I immediately looked in my rear view to see who was behind me to make sure they could stop because I guarantee they wouldn't have been ready for my Caddy to stop so quickly! Luckily no one was immediately behind me. For being close to 4,000 pounds this car really has great stopping power. I am almost kicking myself for hitting the brakes as soon as I did, I could have waited another couple of seconds! jk
I can't imagine what Hawk pads would do!

Just thought I'd share my experience.

PS. I never did find out why traffic stopped... it picked right back up as if nothing had happened. Go figure!

ahahnu
05-06-10, 04:35 PM
Get the UUC brake lines and it stops even harder / faster.

ctsv154
05-06-10, 04:54 PM
Ordere my UUC's this morning!!! Can't wait!

heavymetals
05-06-10, 05:10 PM
Here is a driving trick I learned from my buddy (a Bondurant grad)

If you have to "slam on the brakes" or stop quick, wiggle the steering wheel and make the car move left and right.

The car(s) behind you will think you locked up your brakes and will SLAM ON THEIRS if they are paying attention at all. :bonkers:

That maneuver has saved my ass from being hit at least a half dozen times.

Once, a guy in a Lincoln ended up sideways behind my rear fender, but at least he didn't hit me.

PISNUOFF
05-06-10, 05:11 PM
With SS lines and HP+'s, my V stops better than my brothers C5 ZO6's stock braking system. They really are something to brag about.

PS. You should feel it with a full set of Carbotech's and R-comps. Unbelievable, it'll suck your eyeballs out of their sockets.

tweeter81
05-06-10, 06:27 PM
With SS lines and HP+'s, my V stops better than my brothers C5 ZO6's stock braking system. They really are something to brag about.

PS. You should feel it with a full set of Carbotech's and R-comps. Unbelievable, it'll suck your eyeballs out of their sockets.

Hopefully, I'll know that feeling on the track in a few weeks. :highfive:

BTW Brian, I will have the your old heavy Eibach springs on the car by the end of the week and then I'll change out the pads (to the Carbotechs) and rotors (back to my original blank stockers that have a lot of life left in them) right before my next track day.

I can't wait!!! It's gonna be epic!!!

toberting22
05-06-10, 06:46 PM

Are you using Carbotech pads, rotors or both? I just went to Carbotech's website and the only rotors I saw for Cadillac are Escalade rotors. Where are you getting yours from?

Thanks

thebigjimsho
05-06-10, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the g forces caused by Hawk Blues on Hoosiers were phenomenal. And the trick heavy talked about in alerting people behind you is something I use and can attest to...

c4ss
05-06-10, 07:23 PM
Don't forget a nice set of UUC rotors. Those with HP+, SS lines, and R-comps? That's a nice track setup right there.

JimmyH
05-06-10, 10:04 PM
brembo ftw

CadiBlk
05-06-10, 10:53 PM
Hawk HPS ftl.

Zo6PwRd
05-07-10, 12:22 AM
^^^^ yea im pretty dissapointed although they are slightly better then hawk ceramics. Ill be throwing on oem pads before the HPS wear out.

kingcheney
05-07-10, 12:32 AM
I had 3 car pile up happen behind me on I-45 southbound in houston. The f-150 in front on my couldnt stop and jumped onto the shoulder. The car directly behind me barely stopped. He got plowed into. I heard it coming with the screaching tires and tried to get into gear to get away from him so he wouldnt get pushed into me but it happened too fast. Luckily there was enough distance I didnt get hit.

bjv
05-07-10, 12:56 AM
it'll suck your eyeballs out of their sockets

I felt that once at the end of a tight track roller coaster, as if the eyeballs pulled out a little bit and popped back. That caused a quick bit of tunnel vision too.

I've noticed that the stock brakes seem to stop pretty effortlessly in normal driving, even with my stock RS-A's. I need to do some informal tests when nobody else is around.

PISNUOFF
05-07-10, 07:18 AM
tweeter - I believe you have the XP10/XP8 pads. They are one level down in agressiveness from the 12/10 setup. You'll be very happy with them, especially with the sweet deal you got them for.

Are you using Carbotech pads, rotors or both? I just went to Carbotech's website and the only rotors I saw for Cadillac are Escalade rotors. Where are you getting yours from?

Thanks

My usual track setup is Carbotech pads (XP12 frt, XP10 rr), Rotora slotted rotors and Hoosier Grand Am Rolex GT R-comps. I've been thinking about changing to the UUC front rotors when the Rotora's are done.

Rich64SS
05-07-10, 12:00 PM
This is what happened 2.5 years ago when an F350 couldn't stop as fast as my Grand Prix GXP because some lady stopped in the middle of Rt.95 in front of me. He plowed through 3 cars before getting to me. Noone was hurt and I got a CTS-V out of it.