: My custom radio install

Oh5V
05-05-10, 11:59 PM
I tried to live with the stock Navi radio, i did, i really did......

I even added a line output converter off the sub and installed an amp and a JL12W7. still didn't comfort me....

My dilemma was wanting to keep the stock Nav radio features, mainly all the driver preference stuff, warnings, and as primitive as it is, the navigation itself...

I saw my options and what other have done... using the base radio and its DIC but that didn't thrill me at all, i don't use navigation really that much at all, but i like having it, plus i like seeing all the info and settings on the screen.

...To buy my CTS-V i traded in my 2008 Saturn SKY Redline, in which i had installed a pioneer 7" touchscreen with all the bells and whistles, bluetooth, USB etc. So when i traded the car in, I kept that radio and swapped the stock one back in.

So last sunday I got an idea when i realized my Stock nav radio CD changer would no longer willingly advance or chance tracks on a CDs for me anymore.

I decided to cut out the CD changer section of the Nav radio and custom mount the 7" pioneer touchscreen radio below it. Yes, i decided to hack into a radio that sells used for 4-500 bucks, haha. For me, the most difficult part would be cutting all the pieces and fitting them back together without them looking just thrown together. After doing some measurements, i got to work on it with just some small hand tools and a sharp razor blade. I have already figured out the wiring issues to keep the stock radio functioning, and ill be doing all the wiring in the next few days and ill be keeping the BOSE setup, for now.

I took a bunch of pictures along the way but i'm not going to do a write up just yet, but in the next few weeks I probably will.

I just wanted to share this as of now...

verywhitedevil
05-06-10, 01:14 AM
that does not look bad at all, IMO. keep the pictures coming and definitely the final install with write up, a must.

Houdini
05-06-10, 08:05 AM
Cool, can't wait to see finished product.

Stepside
05-06-10, 09:17 AM
I see that you have moved the heater/AC controls down. :hmm: My question is, Is the bottom part the ashtray door cut in half and what is that knob for? Please explain. It's lookin' like, it is shaping up too, 'factory install' appearance. Bold & Impressive.
You sir, have talent.:2thumbs:

Oh5V
05-06-10, 09:31 AM
The ashtray door had 1.75" cut off it, but due to that, it is now only a filler panel and is fixed in place. The "knob" thing is the stock 12v power port that is usually inside the ash tray. I moved it to the outside to retain its use, and i had originally thought of centering it, but with how many car charger are, i didn't want the port to allow any plugged in items to be directly in front of the shifter area, just in case any had clearance issues. That is why i mounted it off to the passenger side.

JimmyH
05-06-10, 12:22 PM
That is pretty slick actually. It will certainly make the center stack look pretty advanced.

Not for nothing though, but there are wiring harnesses out there that will allow you to add an aftermarket radio, and move the factory radio someplace else (like the trunk) so you can still access the DIC. Which would be a pain, but with a little ingenuity, you could hack the stock radio apart, removing everything but the faceplate, and keep it in the glovebox maybe.

odla
05-06-10, 01:09 PM
Dam that is going to look great. you got some skills.

SS from the "Wood"
05-06-10, 01:32 PM
my address is...

liqidvenom
05-06-10, 04:06 PM
That is pretty slick actually. It will certainly make the center stack look pretty advanced.

Not for nothing though, but there are wiring harnesses out there that will allow you to add an aftermarket radio, and move the factory radio someplace else (like the trunk) so you can still access the DIC. Which would be a pain, but with a little ingenuity, you could hack the stock radio apart, removing everything but the faceplate, and keep it in the glovebox maybe.

When you say still access the DIC how would you see the OEM screen if it is in the glove box? unless you mean the info in the cluster.

Is there an aftermarket HU which will show all that stuff on the screen like the stock one does?

heavymetals
05-06-10, 05:16 PM
"Is there an aftermarket HU which will show all that stuff on the screen like the stock one does?"

To the OP, GREAT JOB.

I have been trying to find a replacement touch screen display for our units that could interface to a computer with all the class II stuff taking precedence and retaining the stock stuff.

JimmyH
05-06-10, 05:48 PM
When you say still access the DIC how would you see the OEM screen if it is in the glove box? unless you mean the info in the cluster.

Is there an aftermarket HU which will show all that stuff on the screen like the stock one does?

You would have to fish it out of the glove box (or trunk, or whereever you tuck it) whenever you need to access it. Really, it's not like you need the DIC all the time.

As for interfacing Class II, didnt someone try that years ago and give up on it? I remember someone building a custom interface board for adding bluetooth to his onstar, but wasnt able to get much more than that out of it.

Oh5V
05-07-10, 02:32 AM
Got the radio itself out to the car and had everything wired up. Seems to be working good. I can still control the BOSE system volume from the stock knob and i can still use the stock EQ to adjust everything. I just gotta locate a proper RAP circuit to power the Pioneer head unit, because right now im running of a basic ignition circuit. and secondly, i gotta check out the dimmer circuit i tapped into. The pioneer doesnt seem to be getting the illumination signal, prob just a bad connection which ill look into tomorrow.

Tomorrow ill replace the whole center dash section back into the car and see how it looks as a finished concept. Ill post pictures this weekend

c4ss
05-07-10, 02:36 AM
Very impressive. Usually when I see anyone doing a headunit swap or anything like that I close my eyes and click, afraid of what I will see. There was a guy on selling his V with a frankensteined head unit pretty recently and it looked God awful. This on the other hand looks great. Looking forward to the writeup as well :thumbsup:

JimmyH
05-07-10, 04:48 PM
Got the radio itself out to the car and had everything wired up. Seems to be working good. I can still control the BOSE system volume from the stock knob and i can still use the stock EQ to adjust everything. I just gotta locate a proper RAP circuit to power the Pioneer head unit, because right now im running of a basic ignition circuit. and secondly, i gotta check out the dimmer circuit i tapped into. The pioneer doesnt seem to be getting the illumination signal, prob just a bad connection which ill look into tomorrow.

Tomorrow ill replace the whole center dash section back into the car and see how it looks as a finished concept. Ill post pictures this weekend

Volume and DSP is set in the amp, not the head unit, that's why that all still works.

RAP:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/accpower.html

And I have never had luck getting dimming to work on aftermarket radios.

heavymetals
05-07-10, 05:11 PM
I wrote up a "fix" for the dimming problem I found when I installed an AVIC N4 in Mr. Vette.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15665

The GM uses pulse width modulation for the dimming in the Vette and it happens to be inverted for what the Pioneer needed to "see".

One transistor and three resistors fixed it.

liqidvenom
05-08-10, 12:21 AM
You would have to fish it out of the glove box (or trunk, or whereever you tuck it) whenever you need to access it. Really, it's not like you need the DIC all the time.

As for interfacing Class II, didnt someone try that years ago and give up on it? I remember someone building a custom interface board for adding bluetooth to his onstar, but wasnt able to get much more than that out of it.

what is DIC?

PISNUOFF
05-08-10, 11:33 AM
Driver Information Center

liqidvenom
05-08-10, 12:19 PM
ahh, i thought it was something more important.... i really only use the mpg left on that setup since the V just like every other unique thing about it doesnt use a light for the gas gauge.

Oleksakjr
05-09-10, 07:38 PM
Damne! Looks great!

Oh5V
05-09-10, 10:53 PM
I got it wired up all friday finally, fixed my dimmer issue, apparently the one tap connector i used to tap a dimmer signal didnt go through the wire and make contact, a simple fix.

one day ill deal with the RAP setup but for now it works and i can fine tune the details down the line.

While i was doing the modifications to the radio and such, i realized it should be very easy to do this basic swap with a regular single DIN aftermarket headunit, without needing to modify the climate control area. That way one could get improved sound quality and optional accessories but retain the stock nav setup and DIC...

Next detail im taking care of is getting rid of the gloss finish on the pioneer, and going matte black. Oh, and taking care of the peeling radio buttons/knobs...

Anyways... Here are some completed/installed pics...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/CTS-V/0507101246-01.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/CTS-V/0509102122-00.jpg

V-Eight
05-09-10, 11:06 PM
Wow, that looks really good. Seriously, awesome work man.

c4ss
05-09-10, 11:12 PM
:yeah:

Awesome man! And that V on the lower screen is the tits!

txbest1980
05-09-10, 11:47 PM
very impressive and nice clean install

lilgCTS-V
05-10-10, 12:00 AM
i must say i am very impressed !

JimmyH
05-10-10, 06:00 PM
excellent work

josney
05-10-10, 06:21 PM
i will say it also...looks great. very professional

shadybx7
05-10-10, 11:42 PM
so you working on this writeup.. im interested to see the pics of the wiring..

liqidvenom
05-11-10, 12:42 AM
I guess im the weird one here but i think it might be one screen to many. the stock trash should have been ditched.

but the work looks very good though.

Driven2slow
05-11-10, 02:01 AM
I guess im the weird one here but i think it might be one screen to many. the stock trash should have been ditched.

but the work looks very good though.

I too think thats too many screens, but if you can some how program the bottom screen to show gauges, it would be worth it to have 2 screens.

Johnson
05-11-10, 04:12 AM
Where do i buy this panel ;)

Oh5V
05-11-10, 09:20 AM
I have HP tuners so with a lil work with the AV input on the Pioneer and a netbook(or my older laptop stored somewhere, i can use an a/v input to show gauges from the HP tuners software and real time data logging. While still listening to music from the headunit. The AV input would just be the background.

I would like to have ditched the factory screen but as of yet, no one seems to have made an interface between the stock driver preferences and settings, stability info, low fuel oil etc... And keeping all that usefulness was my number 1 priority. IF that is made, then i'll change it all up again. If i could find a video source on the stock radio(to the screen and figure out how to convert it to an video input... then i could move the radio guts elsewhere leaving the stock casing and putting the pioneer inside and using the side buttons to still trigger all the oem functions.. but thats more time consuming..but maybe one day because as im thinking about it now...it have some ideas...

This weekend ill do the writeup and how i wired it etc. It was surprisingly simple. 4 wires were cut and 4 were tapped. That was it.

I gotta pull it out one more time this weekend to swap the stock protective screen on the stock navi with a clear polycarbonate piece i made and also run RCAs from the Pioneer unit to my amp, which is now hooked up using a LOC device.

Driven2slow
05-11-10, 11:26 AM
Check out what this guy did, apparently the regular cts has a small screen for DIC so he added his screen to where the cd player is:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklogs/100118-2006-cadillac-cts-install.html

Oh5V
05-11-10, 01:39 PM
Check out what this guy did, apparently the regular cts has a small screen for DIC so he added his screen to where the cd player is:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklogs/100118-2006-cadillac-cts-install.html

i had seen that, but it wasnt what i was going for.
my MAIN goal was to retain the stock navi and all the settings in the stock radio such as all the drivers preference settings.

Crewgr
05-12-10, 02:48 AM
So to have audio playing through the new head unit, you just have to use the old CD button?

If so what does the old factory screen do when you press it?

Can't wait for the write up, since I am far too scared to go cutting up plastic freestyle. I want to steal your setup but just mount a touchscreen there with a carputer in the glove box.

jonyb
05-13-10, 03:32 AM

First thing to take a hike out of my car, along with the Blose speakers. I guess I'm old fashioned. I don't need a radio to tell me where to go, I can read an analog fuel gauge, and don't care if my tires are spinning out of control (stabilitrak). What ever did we do before all of this technology?

I must be really weird though, because I used a single-din head unit. Not a DVD player, not Nav, nothing fancy, just a single-din head unit....

deedubb
05-13-10, 04:15 AM
First thing to take a hike out of my car, along with the Blose speakers. I guess I'm old fashioned. I don't need a radio to tell me where to go, I can read an analog fuel gauge, and don't care if my tires are spinning out of control (stabilitrak). What ever did we do before all of this technology?

I must be really weird though, because I used a single-din head unit. Not a DVD player, not Nav, nothing fancy, just a single-din head unit....

You bought the wrong car son if you don't like the bells and whistles. I personally could care less but I never use the NAV on its Atari like screen.

jonyb
05-14-10, 12:02 AM
You bought the wrong car son if you don't like the bells and whistles. I personally could care less but I never use the NAV on its Atari like screen.

I didn't buy it for the Blose crap in the doors, or the Nintendo system in the dash. I knew before I paid for the car that all of that was coming out.

Oh5V
06-09-10, 08:42 PM
So to have audio playing through the new head unit, you just have to use the old CD button?

If so what does the old factory screen do when you press it?

Can't wait for the write up, since I am far too scared to go cutting up plastic freestyle. I want to steal your setup but just mount a touchscreen there with a carputer in the glove box.

visually, the factory radio still works like it did stock. it really as if it doesnt know the pioneer radio is there.

How i have it setup currently, it doesn't matter what is playing at all on the stock radio. nothing is wired to go through the new head unit.

if you press radio on the stock radio it all still shows up, just doesn't have sound. or a antenna input, that got switched to the pioneer. but all the audio adjustments like bass fade etc DO still work since that controls the sound back at the amp, to which the Pioneer radio still feeds.

The CD function on the stock radio is still there, it just searched for the Changer which it will never find. Other than that, it all works like stock still.

The stock navigation sound output is separate from the radio audio, so that is all still intact too. And i can control that volume in the settings menu. If i have my radio up loud and navi giving guidance, it will automatically still lower my radio volume so i can hear the navi directions.

IF i had XM with the stock radio, i could have wired the audio output of the stock radio into the AUX input on my pioneer unit, then selected XM and whatever XM station i wanted on the sock radio and then AUX on the pioneer, and i would be able to listem to XM. Same goes for sound from the stock DVD player option, currently there is no sound since i have wired that yet, but i really dont plan on using that dvd player, since i have the pioneer dvd player just below it which is wired to work while in motion.

one day ill get around to doing a write up, but if you want specific info let me know and ill put something together just in email form for anyone.
the wiring was VERY simple.

Heres the most recent pic (sorry its from my cellphone) I took care of the gloss finish around the pioneer and the logo. in time ill fine tune the gaps and i will perfect the fit.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/CTS-V/ctsradiomatte.jpg

JimmyH
06-09-10, 08:55 PM
The CD function on the stock radio is still there, it just searched for the Changer which it will never find.

wouldnt you be shocked as crap if all of a sudden it did :D

ITSAV
06-09-10, 10:31 PM

Link to said harness, I want one!

Driven2slow
06-09-10, 10:37 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/CTS-V/ctsradiomatte.jpg[/QUOTE]

You should hook up a rear view camera on one of the screens.

Do you have a pic of the rear of the stock cts-v radio?

JimmyH
06-10-10, 06:03 PM
Link to said harness, I want one!

you would have to google around for it. or search here too. search for GM and chime. (I think the primary purpose was to keep the door chime which uses the radio speakers)

Oh5V
06-10-10, 07:56 PM
I do plan on doing a rear view camera someday, i just haven't found a location of camera type i like enough.

and here, this isnt my pic, its from the cadillacFAQ...

my setup still looks the same back there, just antenna wire goes down lower and there are a few more wires. i didnt modify the back area of the metal radio case at all, but soon i will be just to free up some room back there.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/nav-rad-rear-1.jpg

pharoh
08-11-10, 02:52 PM
Wow, that's some nice work. Do you still remember which wires you had to cut/modify to get this working as you did?

JBaby
08-14-10, 07:31 PM
I would like to have ditched the factory screen but as of yet, no one seems to have made an interface between the stock driver preferences and settings, stability info, low fuel oil etc... And keeping all that usefulness was my number 1 priority. IF that is made, then i'll change it all up again. If i could find a video source on the stock radio(to the screen and figure out how to convert it to an video input... then i could move the radio guts elsewhere leaving the stock casing and putting the pioneer inside and using the side buttons to still trigger all the oem functions...

This is pretty interesting I think. I would love to have this done and throw an alpine TV in place of the stock. I'm the same way in leaving everything looking stock and neat as long as all the factory buttons work the same.

Heres a question though, if you did find a video output source, centrally locate the factory guts and brought the video cable back to the after market radio, would you be able to still have your navigation cd play? where would you stick the navigation cd, in the aftermarket radio or in the factory radio?

For some reason this doesn't seem impossible to do. I wouldn't attempt it myself honestly, but if you figure it out, let me know because I'm so tired of not having Subs in my car and I'm definitly not hooking them up to the stock radio with an LOC because it's just not the same despite what everyone says with the bose amp controlling the subs. I want a direct RCA cable to my amp and subs thanks.

Oh5V
08-21-10, 12:29 PM
Heres a question though, if you did find a video output source, centrally locate the factory guts and brought the video cable back to the after market radio, would you be able to still have your navigation cd play? where would you stick the navigation cd, in the aftermarket radio or in the factory radio?

from when i had the radio apart, it seemed i could fit the pioneer inside the stock housing and keep the stock dvd/navi drive in its place. The whole radio doen that way would look stock, just with a touch screen instead, and having the factory radio display as an aux input. I may try this setup in the future if i can find a reasonably priced oem navi radio to cut up. My only concern would be the function on the opening of the pioneer to insert a cd/dvd into that. I may have to eliminate that option and use a dvd or cd changer for that purpose, but once again ill know more once i get another navi radio and some time to actually start hacking into the internal radio wiring.

1990Z51
11-12-10, 11:57 AM
Along these thoughts here I have a few question/comments:

I saw one of the posts state that a single DIN would work without modifying the heater controls... is that true? Could you take measurements?

Alternatively, why wouldn't the DIC from a non-navi radio set up work (from a regular CTS)? Don't those give all the same fuel/mileage/oil status info?

TheKid
11-14-10, 02:23 AM
If someone figures this out, please let me know. The stock radio is killing me.

azn2dmax
12-16-10, 12:28 AM
from when i had the radio apart, it seemed i could fit the pioneer inside the stock housing and keep the stock dvd/navi drive in its place. The whole radio doen that way would look stock, just with a touch screen instead, and having the factory radio display as an aux input. I may try this setup in the future if i can find a reasonably priced oem navi radio to cut up. My only concern would be the function on the opening of the pioneer to insert a cd/dvd into that. I may have to eliminate that option and use a dvd or cd changer for that purpose, but once again ill know more once i get another navi radio and some time to actually start hacking into the internal radio wiring.

Oh5V,

Can you please give me the wiring directions? I too like the big factory screen. I can't PM you though

Oh5V
12-25-10, 04:15 PM
i dont have specific wiring diagrams myself, i just drew it up on paper based off what stock schematics i found online, but this week ill draw something up to explain it

and yes, i do believe a single din would work without moving the heater/ac controls. I already had the 2 din pioneer from my previous car so i wanted to keep that one.

and yes, the non-navi DIC should work the same way but i wanted to keep the navi, as primitive as it is, along with the way the stock radio displays all the messages.

as soon as i get another navi radio to experiment on, ill be removing the screen and installing an aftermarket touch screen IN the location of the stock screen but wiring the stock video image into the aftermarket unit throguh the AV input.

I have been busy with work and been down in Louisiana for a month, plus im looking at nerve surgery in my arm next month, so thats why ive been off the board a lil bit.
Also, im currently working on a TPMS emulator kit in order to bypass the wheel sensors and allow lower tire pressures for racing, drag or autocross without stabilitrac being on.

LAYGO
04-18-11, 01:42 PM
AWESOME! I gotta wait, but after 1hr I knew the stock stereo had to go. Hell, I thought it was a PITA to get a 2 DIN in my Impala SS. This makes that install look like a tire change!

heavymetals
04-18-11, 02:21 PM
Let me know what you want for the stock screen.

Someone a long time ago bought a V and got ripped off because the nav unit was replaced by a CTS dic display.

It did work though.

JimmyH
04-18-11, 02:41 PM
^I would have done that had I kept the V as my DD. And done the cutout for an aftermarket nav that the CTS guys are doing.

J W
04-27-11, 12:53 AM
I did this to my 05 cts following the ravens instructions. everything works as it should except for having RAP power on the unit. When i turn the key off the radio goes off. Did not use the factory bose.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/livewire110/DSC_0166-1.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/livewire110/DSC_0165-1.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/livewire110/DSC_0164-1.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/livewire110/DSC_0162-1.jpg

tRu
08-04-11, 09:32 PM
nice set-up, im trying to add a single din alpine to my 04 cts while keeping the DIC and was hoping for help on how i should go about wiring my alpine? i am cutting a hole and removing the stock cd player. please help. thanks

tRu
08-04-11, 09:38 PM
nice job, can you help me wire up my alpine deck while keeping the DIC. ill be cutting a hole and removing the OEM cd player. please help, thanks.

wychej
05-27-12, 10:32 AM
I'm interested in doing something like this in my 07 CTS-v. I did not see any pics of the finished concept. Can you provide and is it possible to get the other details?

sssnake
05-30-12, 11:58 AM
nice job, can you help me wire up my alpine deck while keeping the DIC. ill be cutting a hole and removing the OEM cd player. please help, thanks.

I did the same in my 07. You have to cut the frame of the stick unit do that the single DIN will fit (CDA117). It is still a tight fit and to provide clearance for the RCAs I had to mold the trim ring to the trim piece with a heavy offset. I will be removing the stock unit shortly and going to a double din NAV unit with the CTS DIC. It is just much cleaner that way. 92779

wychej
08-10-12, 01:58 PM
I'm very interested in the wiring diagram. Is it possible to get it?

sssnake
08-10-12, 04:59 PM
I found the diagrams on the cadillac FAQ site. Cadillacfaq.com

NCOGNITO
08-29-12, 01:45 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/bose.pdf