: Anyone have scraping with Venetos?

junoreactor
05-05-10, 10:27 PM
I installed my veneto wheels today after finding out that I was mistakenly shipped only 20 lug nuts instead of the 24 that was listed on the invoice. I figured it would be ok to drive the car home with one less nut on each wheel. Now i'm getting some loud scraping on the rear passenger wheel's inner lip. Do you think that would be caused by only having 5 lug nuts on the wheel and the wheel itself is deflecting a little bit? Anyone else encounter any scraping like I described?

Props to Dan at Wheeldude for 2nd day air mailing me 4 more lug nuts out. The wheels look great, BTW!
Either way I'll be trying to get some of the trailing arms from MAP to install.

MAPerformance
05-05-10, 10:36 PM
Did you see where the scraping is coming from? Is it on the trailing arms or somewhere else?

MAPerformance
05-05-10, 10:40 PM
Sent you a pm!

ctsv154
05-05-10, 10:49 PM
You most likely just need to roll you fenders. Just running 5 lugs won't cause that much if any deflection in the wheel. It's just a wide wheel and some may need to roll or adjust the inner fender due to differance in car alignment and the build tolerance at the factory.

junoreactor
05-05-10, 10:50 PM
It's definitely the trailing arm. I'll try to attach 3 pics. Let's hope this works.

junoreactor
05-05-10, 10:55 PM
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/junoreact/P5050329.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/junoreact/P5050328.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/junoreact/P5050327.jpg

nmaier2201
05-05-10, 11:04 PM
In the meantime (while waiting for MAP's arms) take little bit off right there on the trailing arms and try and driver her slow and easy... wouldn't want to muck up those nice wheels :)

MAP... when you going to have that next batch ready? here's someone who is getting bumped to the top of the list :)

junoreactor
05-05-10, 11:16 PM
Got the cash in hand lol. Here's one more pic from a slightly different angle. On the passenger side there seems to be more clearance, but definitely not a finger width.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/junoreact/P5050333.jpg

Could there be some part of the suspension on that side that is failing or has failed. If it matters, I've got Moben coilovers and Hotchkis swaybars

AAIIIC
05-05-10, 11:31 PM
I actually have the same issue - even the same corner of the car. Unfortunately, the only pics I've been able to get are somewhat crappy cellphone pics, so I hadn't posted them up. With the car up on a 4-post lift (so the suspension is at normal ride height, not unweighted/drooping) I've got probably almost twice as much clearance on the driver side as I do on the passenger side. Even a slight load on the right rear (due to cornering or a bump) is enough to get the wheel to rub exactly like yours.

I pulled off both rear wheels and checked to be sure there wasn't a manufacturing flaw that left one wheel with more backspacing than the other; no issues there, the wheels are fine. I guess it's either production tolerances in the rear suspension, or perhaps some worn out bushings that allow a bit more slop in the passenger side trailing arm than in the driver side? I didn't really look closely enough to try to figure that out. I would be interested to know if others have less clearance on the passenger side than on the driver side. Maybe all the cars are like that? And maybe some of us are just unlucky and have enough variation that it causes rubbing?

I ordered some of the MAP trailing arms today, which I was going to end up doing at some point anyway. I'm not too thrilled that installing them requires one to clearance the knuckles, but I guess in this case I can't have my cake and eat it too. :)

Oh, and the wheels do look abso-frickin'-lutely awesome. I'm very, very happy with the purchase. I didn't get any pics in the few days they were on the car because the car was filthy - super heavy pollen + repeated rain showers doesn't do much for making the car pretty. :(

ctsv154
05-06-10, 07:38 AM
Glad you found it. I've always had a problem with the fenders on my car. They are already rolled so I'm thinking having them pushed out just a hair.

nytoolmkr
05-06-10, 08:00 AM
wish this thread came out before I ordered my set.....
been waiting to place the order....didn't want be have issues
now I'll have to wait and see, wheels are due to arrive next Tues.

BTW is your V stock height or lowered at all ?

shadybx7
05-06-10, 02:47 PM
what about pics of your car with the wheels on?? at least it looksgood..

POS VETT
05-06-10, 03:52 PM
"Wear to fit". It's just scraping the paint off :)

I'm so going to have so much trouble when it's time to finally fit these SSR Comp-H in 19x10.5 size on all four ...

junoreactor
05-06-10, 03:59 PM
My car is at stock height. I couldn't get pics of them on the car as it was at night in poor lighting when I took those above. I'll get pics of the car with wheels on soon, after I get the correct center caps in the mail in a few days I hope.

MAPerformance
05-06-10, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the order, and someone swears that the trailing arms not needed... LOL!

AAIIIC
05-06-10, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the order, and someone swears that the trailing arms not needed... LOL!
I would still say the trailing arms are not needed. I've got probably almost 1/2" of clearance on the driver side, and maybe 1/8" of clearance on the passenger side. That would leave me to believe something is wrong with the car, not with the wheel fitment.

There appear to only be 2 of us having this issue. The original batch of Venetos was something like 20 sets, and I think Dan had presold most of those. As I said in my original post, it could be due to a number of things, but I don't think this is normal or should lead one to believe that aftermarket trailing arms are needed to fit the Venetos.

MAPerformance
05-06-10, 06:37 PM
Not saying they are needed to fit the Venetos. I was speaking in general, these wheels just give it another +1 as far as a product goes.

Also, this would be the 4th case ;) All 4 cases have purchased trailing arms through me.

Wheeldude.com
05-06-10, 07:43 PM
Sorry for the late reply in this post, I wanted to first contact the vast majority of our customers currently running the Linea Corse Veneto wheels. From our multiple test fits here in the shop and our other customers running these wheels across the US (~13 sets have been sold from the first batch), this problem is very isolated and is not a problem with the wheels. Out of all the sets currently installed on cars, we've had 3 reports of light contact on the trailing arm (Pat (AAIIIC), Wade (junoreactor), and one other member). The other 10+ cars including our local CTS-V that we did our own test fitting on, have all reported no rubbing/contact (there is ~6mm's of trailing arm clearance, a safe distance for wheel clearance).

In Pat(AAIIIC) and Wade's(junoreactor) case it does appear there could be an alignment, bushing, and or suspension issue causing their clearance issues. As they mentioned, their clearance issues are focused on only one corner of the car. I would strongly suggest checking your trailing arm bushings as a worn bushing could cause some deflection while under stress (hard acceleration and or hard turns).

-Dan

MAPerformance
05-06-10, 10:03 PM
It is definitely from worn bushings on the factory trailing arm, as stated many many times before. Our original design was a trailing arm with superior bushings, allowing wider wheels is just a bonus!

Again, I was stating in general. You don't need our trailing arms to run the Veneto's but its recommended if you have 50k+ miles in an area were you get snow and a lot of climate change. Climate change is one of the top causes of premature wear to factory bushings, this is why we supply a poly bushing for the hub and use a spherical bushing up front.

Dan/Wheeldude - I shot you an AIM yesterday and about 2 weeks ago trying to get a set of hyperblack Venentos. No love man? Haven't heard back.

junoreactor
05-06-10, 10:56 PM
I'd definitely agree the prob isn't with the Venetos as most others have no probs. I want to make it clear that I think the issue is with my car, such as worn bushings or whatever. Purchasing the trailing arms will kill 2 birds with one stone: new bushings and wider clearance.

cencalc
05-10-10, 10:18 PM
I'd definitely agree the prob isn't with the Venetos as most others have no probs. I want to make it clear that I think the issue is with my car, such as worn bushings or whatever. Purchasing the trailing arms will kill 2 birds with one stone: new bushings and wider clearance.

I agree....I was going nuts thinking I was the only 1 with this problem.I'm also waiting on my trailing arms from Maperformance. I went ahead and grinded them down for the time being.Eitherway I'm very happy with my wheels :cool2:

RADARB8
05-10-10, 10:53 PM
I installed my veneto wheels today after finding out that I was mistakenly shipped only 20 lug nuts instead of the 24 that was listed on the invoice. I figured it would be ok to drive the car home with one less nut on each wheel. Now i'm getting some loud scraping on the rear passenger wheel's inner lip. Do you think that would be caused by only having 5 lug nuts on the wheel and the wheel itself is deflecting a little bit? Anyone else encounter any scraping like I described?

Props to Dan at Wheeldude for 2nd day air mailing me 4 more lug nuts out. The wheels look great, BTW!

What size tire are u running on the new 10 1/2" Veneto wheels???

AAIIIC
05-11-10, 01:32 AM
There are no 10-1/2" Veneto wheels.

junoreactor
05-11-10, 01:37 AM
275/35/19 Hankook Ventus V12's per Wheeldude's recommendation. I'm planning on lowering the car soon and couldn't really utilize wider tires.

isakhanyan
08-19-11, 12:58 PM

I had the same issue as you, I went to Dan and he provided me with spacers because of the scraping. As far as the MAP trailing arms I do not recommend it because they are thicker then the stocks which will scrape more.

RADARB8
08-19-11, 01:27 PM
Take off the tire and see where it is scraping>>check the rim, the tire the wheelwell, trl. arm etc..If it is the trl. arm then i suggest getting the MAP trl. arms and the CS bushings...If it is real noticeable, put a washer around ea. stud and take a mild drive. Maybe go over asome speed bumps etc. but just take it easy..If the rubbing stops u will know what size spacer u need by the number of washers u put on.:yup:

GDPossehl
08-19-11, 05:24 PM
I had the same issue as you, I went to Dan and he provided me with spacers because of the scraping. As far as the MAP trailing arms I do not recommend it because they are thicker then the stocks which will scrape more.

They're thicker, but they're also bent differently to allow for more wheel clearance.

AAIIIC
08-19-11, 06:41 PM
As far as the MAP trailing arms I do not recommend it because they are thicker then [sic] the stocks which will scrape more.
Thank you for bumping a thread from May 2010 with a reply that is incorrect. :helpless: The MAP trailing arms were specifically designed to provide more wheel clearance, and they do exactly that.

WesH8398
08-20-11, 10:27 AM

As AAIIIC said, this is bogus info. Just wanted to be clear on that for anyone who comes across this thread while searching. MAP trailing arms, even without new bushings, provide a TON more clearance. The BMR trailing arms however, are thicker and are NOT shaped any differently than OEM, thus making clearance issues even worse.

Also as a year-later update, MAP is no longer producing these trailing arms. I installed my LC Venetos this spring and they scraped pretty good on my passenger side trailing arm, especially on left hand turns. I called wheeldude and they actually covered the cost of the MAP arms, which I took one of the last sets of. Also, being lowered (h&r's) with 275's in the back, I had to have my fenders rolled to keep the feder lip off my tires on hard turns or big dips in the road. Before I bought my wheels, wheeldude conformed that I would NOT have either of these issues, even being lowered, which is why they offered to cover the cost of the trailing arms.

GDPossehl
08-20-11, 10:59 AM
Looks like the current options are small spacers. 3/8-1/4".

Or, Grinding the stock trailing arm for clearance.

Personally, I'm running spacers.

AAIIIC
08-20-11, 11:37 AM
MAP appears to be making the trailing arms still (or again?). I've seen them listed on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAP-Trailaing-Arm-Kit-Cadillac-CTS-V-04-07-/370470845637?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5641c87cc5) every time I check my CTS-V saved search. (They might get more hits on them if they learned to spell "trailing" correctly in the listing!)

WesH8398
08-21-11, 07:41 PM
MAP appears to be making the trailing arms still (or again?). I've seen them listed on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAP-Trailaing-Arm-Kit-Cadillac-CTS-V-04-07-/370470845637?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5641c87cc5) every time I check my CTS-V saved search. (They might get more hits on them if they learned to spell "trailing" correctly in the listing!)
I brought this to his attention and he said he'd be leaving the ebay listings up because he may have had the parts around the shop to put another set or two together. He was 100% sure that he wouldn't be making the arms anymore though.

CADZILA
08-22-11, 03:56 AM
Also, being lowered (h&r's) with 275's in the back, I had to have my fenders rolled to keep the feder lip off my tires on hard turns or big dips in the road. Before I bought my wheels, wheeldude conformed that I would NOT have either of these issues, even being lowered, which is why they offered to cover the cost of the trailing arms.

So the new Linea Corse LC855 19x10 6x115 with a +47mm offset which I have on order are the same size and offset as the Venetos you are refering to in this post? If so and you had to roll your fenders for clearance AND use the MAP arms then spacers would be out of the question. Which means I better jump on one of the 4 sets of arms MAP has left for sale or i'm f****d. Is that what i'm reading here?

WesH8398
08-22-11, 10:22 AM
So the new Linea Corse LC855 19x10 6x115 with a +47mm offset which I have on order are the same size and offset as the Venetos you are refering to in this post? If so and you had to roll your fenders for clearance AND use the MAP arms then spacers would be out of the question. Which means I better jump on one of the 4 sets of arms MAP has left for sale or i'm f****d. Is that what i'm reading here?

I also had to space my h&r's with a 3/8ths thick rubber washer that I made, to gain some height back from the nearly 2 inches they dropped me. See the last few pages of a post called "my (the) Nivomat solution" by "EdmondGTP"? for more info. I also have a number of threads on the topic of my wheel fitment issues.

The wheels you're getting and the ones I have are indeed the same size, offset, etc. There are a few variables regarding our cars though. One is how low your rear end is. Second is how worn your bushings are. Since this charade stated for me, I've learned that the trailing arm rubbing is likely due to worn OEM bushings. I can't say for sure, and I haven't seen anyone do it, but my assumption would be that new trailing arm bushings might save you from the issue as well. Third, I think, is how lucky you are. lol If the stars align, you'll be able to stick those babies on and be issue-free. I REALLY don't think stud spacers are going to help. They're just going to bring the tire/wheel closer to the fender.

When I was dealing with wheeldude about the fitment issues I was having, they did say that they were going to add a disclaimer to their website regarding the possible need for the trailing arms. What I had on my side was 3 different emails from their sales staff (before I bought the wheels) confirming that I wouldn't have any fitment issues, given my setup. I think that's why they covered the cost of the arms (anything else was @ my expense).

Good luck and keep us posted.

CADZILA
08-22-11, 02:22 PM
My car is lowered with the KW Coilovers so it's pretty low. As far as worn bushings, it only has 10,400 miles so I doubt they are worn. That being said, I went ahead a ordered the MAP trailing arms off ebay last night. If they are no longer going to make them, thought better to play it safe. Said they had 4 available. 3 now I guess. As far as being lucky.....I won over 2k last week playing Video Keno! Paid for my new wheels and tires! Lol

WesH8398
08-22-11, 03:47 PM
Well youve got the adjustment there from the KW's so you don't need to worry about ride height. And if you don't wind up needing the arms, they'll get scooped up on the classifieds, I'm sure.