: Standing Mile Setup

dannboss
05-05-10, 04:03 PM
I am planning to make it to the Texas Mile in Goliad this fall, and want to get an idea of realistic times and what I should shoot for. I plan to spray 2nd and 3rd gear, but that is all. I did a test run with only exhaust and tune (no spray) about 6 months ago and hit 142. I have added a few things since then, see signature, and was thinking I may get to 160? I plan to remove the spoiler also, and tape seams.

Just opening it up to discussion. Anyone planning to go/run?

onebadcad
05-05-10, 04:12 PM
I have done one in SoFlo in October and plan to do more in the future. Everyone should do at least one in their lifetime, as taking the car to 160+ in a controlled environment is a blast.

Here's a vid of one of my four runs, my best was 162mph:

YouTube- '05 CTS-V STANDING 1-MILE RUN@162MPH

onebadcad
05-05-10, 04:13 PM
Fawk Safari, you can search onebadcad at Youtube for vid.

ELES6CTS
05-06-10, 10:03 AM
Hey Dannboss, I'll probably be going this fall.

odla
05-06-10, 10:22 AM
When is the next one in fl?

onebadcad
05-06-10, 10:34 AM
When is the next one in fl?

TopGunRun does not list a next event date
Milemarker-1 lists Sunday, October 10, 2010 as next event

http://topgunrun.com/
http://www.milemarker-1.com/

ELES6CTS
05-06-10, 10:37 AM
YouTube- Performance Power Racing 252.97mph World Record Standing Mile Run

onebadcad
05-06-10, 10:38 AM
^^^Dude borrowed my motor for the day and failed to give me any credit:alchi:

ELES6CTS
05-06-10, 10:48 AM
^^^Dude borrowed my motor for the day and failed to give me any credit:alchi:

Hahaha

JimmyH
05-06-10, 11:19 AM
The standing mile is the best test of performance. I would LOVE to do one someday. That would be sweet.

whisler151
05-06-10, 11:35 AM
I am planning to make it to the Texas Mile in Goliad this fall, and want to get an idea of realistic times and what I should shoot for. I plan to spray 2nd and 3rd gear, but that is all. I did a test run with only exhaust and tune (no spray) about 6 months ago and hit 142. I have added a few things since then, see signature, and was thinking I may get to 160? I plan to remove the spoiler also, and tape seams.

Just opening it up to discussion. Anyone planning to go/run?

Is it realistic to spray the whole way down the track? I think you'd have to do that to get close to 160. Onebadcad is hitting 162 with a blown 383.
I think you would want a new clutch before that event too.

odla
05-06-10, 12:05 PM
Thanks onbadcad. On that ford gt my company has done some work on it. Even has a Small sticker on it from us. It a very nice car.

onebadcad
05-06-10, 02:01 PM
The standing mile is the best test of performance. I would LOVE to do one someday. That would be sweet.

Also tests the full abilities and capabilities of the drivetrain, for a duration 3x longer that a 1/4 mile, during which failure is a greater probability. The adrenalin rush knowing you will exceed 150+mph in a controlled environment, without fear of penalty, is awesome. Of course your car may have never attained these speeds, nor you either, which is also a rush. Many spectators have told me it is more entertaining than a day at The Strip.

onebadcad
05-06-10, 02:03 PM
Also tests the full abilities and capabilities of the drivetrain, for a duration 3x longer that a 1/4 mile, during which failure is a greater probability. The adrenalin rush knowing you will exceed 150+mph in a controlled environment, without fear of penalty, is awesome. Of course your car may have never attained these speeds, nor you either, which is also a rush. Many spectators have told me it is more entertaining than a day at The Strip.

Forgot to mention that each gear is wound out, which does not happen during the quarter mile. I was not a fan until I went to one and drove, will try to do two events after summer ends.

Mystical_Ice
05-06-10, 02:07 PM
Check the 09V forums - there was one with some work done to it that ran in the high 160s if i remember correctly. although i think it was doing like 615rwhp or something like that.

I'm also going to Goliad this october - was just there last month. Let me know - maybe we can meet there.

onebadcad
05-06-10, 02:40 PM
Hennessey ran their own V2 at the Texas Mile in October that hit 185mph, power numbers were 605 RHP/628 RTQ, did the run on DRs. Same car has also done 11.0@130mph in 1/4 mile.

whisler151
05-06-10, 02:44 PM
Check the 09V forums - there was one with some work done to it that ran in the high 160s if i remember correctly. although i think it was doing like 615rwhp or something like that.

I'm also going to Goliad this october - was just there last month. Let me know - maybe we can meet there.

I believe that is Ron's V. He hit 172 I think.

He's a local DFW guy, got to meet him and see his sweet V at our last Cars & Coffee meet. Great guy.

JimmyH
05-06-10, 04:32 PM
I wonder if there are any standing mile strips in the Chicagoland area. I will definitely be taking my next car if there is...

onebadcad
05-06-10, 05:37 PM
New world record of 266 set a few weekends back, by yet another Ford GT, here is link:

YouTube- 266 MPH: Hofman Motorsports & Heffner Performance Twin Turbo Ford GT - Exotics Rally 4-25-2010

Again, fawk Safari!!!

onebadcad
05-06-10, 05:43 PM
I wonder if there are any standing mile strips in the Chicagoland area. I will definitely be taking my next car if there is...

None that I can Google, looks like a great business opportunity for YOU.
Just find an abandoned or very inactive runway of at least two miles (that might be the tough one), get some Forum members to help you administer things at the event, charge $200.00 for unlimited runs (most people do four or five and then call it a day), Tag Hauer rents the timing/speed equipment, get some food and drink venders-of course this will not be cheap for them, get some insurance quotes, pre-registration on site with waiver that releases you from everything, contact some local speed shops to sponsor and have booths at the event, only rent one Port-o-Let as real men will not use them, spectators are $10.00-why, because you can, photographer can pay you like $500 for exclusive rights, call a few trade mags and promote their coverage of event, you will have to hire one cop to keep all the arsewholes with VWs in line, BigJim can probably show up and lend some comic relief,,, you can figure the rest out, I am thinking 150 cars and you make over $5K for a day's work, not bad, do not feel obligated to send me a royalty check, just knowing that Ted did 83 MPH in the Standing One Mile will be enough satisfaction.

dannboss
05-06-10, 07:16 PM
I talked with a guy that has a clk 63 black series (on nitrous) and he was told that his car can spray all the way down the track, but that's his car. Because I will obviously be in 5th gear for the longest, I will not want to spray that gear. I will also not spray first. So the bottle will have to be hot prior to staging. At staging, switch goes off. Launch, shift to second and flip the switch on. Spray second, third, and maybe, maybe, maybe, part of fourth. Switch off (somewhere in there), and shift to fifth and ride it out. Bottle pressure is supposed to be good for 30 seconds full spray (doubt it), and this run should only be spraying 12 seconds max. If I plan to run more than three times, I will need a second bottle. Also, will look for a set of drag radials for the day (anyone who has some and wants to donate let me know), and the new clutch will be in by then.

JimmyH
05-06-10, 08:45 PM
None that I can Google, looks like a great business opportunity for YOU.
Just find an abandoned or very inactive runway of at least two miles (that might be the tough one), get some Forum members to help you administer things at the event, charge $200.00 for unlimited runs (most people do four or five and then call it a day), Tag Hauer rents the timing/speed equipment, get some food and drink venders-of course this will not be cheap for them, get some insurance quotes, pre-registration on site with waiver that releases you from everything, contact some local speed shops to sponsor and have booths at the event, only rent one Port-o-Let as real men will not use them, spectators are $10.00-why, because you can, photographer can pay you like $500 for exclusive rights, call a few trade mags and promote their coverage of event, you will have to hire one cop to keep all the arsewholes with VWs in line, BigJim can probably show up and lend some comic relief,,, you can figure the rest out, I am thinking 150 cars and you make over $5K for a day's work, not bad, do not feel obligated to send me a royalty check, just knowing that Ted did 83 MPH in the Standing One Mile will be enough satisfaction.

thanks

but no one needs me to organize a racing event :lol:

I think it's the Civic owners you have to worry about most; 10 second Civics have owners with really big penis envy

ELES6CTS
05-07-10, 01:20 AM
Dannboss, were you going to trailer or drive the V down?

dannboss
05-07-10, 10:16 AM
Depends on what tires I get between now and then. I will most likely drive it down, but it would be nice to tow it in case I break something and wouldn't have to get a tow 400 miles! Really haven't decided yet.

onebadcad
05-07-10, 01:46 PM
Looks like Jimmy has spurned my entrepreneurial suggestions, so anyone else eager to reign in a pot of gold, here is your starting point:

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/

You need to make sure the airfield is maintained, or find one with low traffic that can halt business for a day.

dannboss
05-07-10, 02:58 PM
Looks like Jimmy has spurned my entrepreneurial suggestions, so anyone else eager to reign in a pot of gold, here is your starting point:

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/

You need to make sure the airfield is maintained, or find one with low traffic that can halt business for a day.

Official thread jack.

onebadcad
05-07-10, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the certification, whenever I do anything I try to make it 'official'.

liqidvenom
05-08-10, 11:33 AM
i really want to give this a shot some day. something had me thinking, if i recall a c63 with h/e/tune can hit 160-170 range... either they have 1-5th gear and 6-7 as over drive or all gears are non over drive. or maybe they are launching harder.

Remo
07-29-10, 06:40 PM
I plan on going to the texas mile in Oct 22-24. I see i need a fire extinguisher, gloves,and helmet. What class does the CTS-V fall in to?
Who plans on going?

Remo